LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trunk mounted battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trunk mounted battery

Ok so I got the optima red top all mounted in the trunk. I have it grounded to the body of the car. I went to phoenix welding supply and got 13 ft of 1 aught welding cable and now I'm not sure what it is supposed to connect to after the positive on the battery. I'm not good with reading wiring diagrams so I'm wondering for those that mounted the battery in the trunk, how did you wire it up? And did you run the cable inside or outside the car? And pics of the set up would be great
Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The positive battery cable goes to the big stud on the starter. How you get it there is your choice, inside or outside.

Curious-where on the body did you ground the battery negative? Are you planning a heavy body to engine block jumper in the engine bay?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
Ok so I got the optima red top all mounted in the trunk. I have it grounded to the body of the car. I went to phoenix welding supply and got 13 ft of 1 aught welding cable and now I'm not sure what it is supposed to connect to after the positive on the battery. I'm not good with reading wiring diagrams so I'm wondering for those that mounted the battery in the trunk, how did you wire it up? And did you run the cable inside or outside the car? And pics of the set up would be great
In accordance with competition sanctioning body rules, the electrical feed from the positive terminal is required to connect to a "master cutoff" that is accessible from outside the car body. From the "master cutoff," the cable will need to extend to a convenient point near the front of the car that will serve to supply power to all switches, accessories, and other electrical amenities according to your specific needs. Exactly how you do that is a matter of personal choice but on cars intended primarily for on-track competition, I prefer to fabricate a distribution panel that incorporates power distribution strips, relays, circuit breakers, and related components in one conveniently accessible location, usually on the floor, in front of the passenger seat location. For dual-purpose cars, the distribution panel may be concealed in a protected area such as inside or below the glove compartment or the components can be isolated from one another according to your preferences. Consolidating them aids in trouble-shooting and saves time. The exact layout and arrangement of the components varies according to the intended use of the car and the location of items such as switch panels and accessories.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just looking for basics to get it started. I will worry about making it NHRA legal later.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could I not just ground it here? Obviously sand to bare metal then with a nut and bolt?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm sure that'll work, I've seen it before.

If my garage is ever above the like 15 degrees it is now, I'll be getting back to putting my car back together. Included is running battery cables from the rear. I'll be using the right rear seat belt mount for the battery negative.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

That's a very nice battery hold down, it took me a while to find it. It's a Summit thing. Nice finish!

I'm using the Odyssey ER40 and I got it to fit under the spare tire cover-along with a plug-in air pump.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Battery's need to be in a sealed, vented to exterior box FYI

Do it right, or don't at all.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Battery's need to be in a sealed, vented to exterior box FYI

Do it right, or don't at all.
Even if the battery is a sealed type? Like the Optima for example..
Old 02-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Man-Crush Warning

LS1Tech 10 Year

According to the NHRA, I believe so.

Without a true trunk, we get screwed on sealed boxes, no meth in back of car, no fuel cells etc
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

At least in the Odyssey battery's case, it is a sealed and non-spill design. It can be mounted in any orientation. It does not need a sealed box vented to the outside.

"Valve Regulated Lead Acid (CRLA) batteries like the Odyssey depend on the internal recombination of the gases for proper operation. ...It is not uncommon to see these batteries in aircraft, hospital operating rooms and computer rooms."

I believe the Optima is the same as they state: "Completely spillproof, mountable in virtually any position"

There is venting in these cars in the rear compartment and at least for these batteries, I see no need for a sealed box.

I think Mr. am_muscl is in pretty decent shape here with his installation.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Myself for sure and I'm pretty sure the OP are not building track race cars that need to adhere to NHRA rules. Many people move their batteries to the rear without a sealed box or external kill switch. The current Camaro has a lead-acid battery in the rear without a sealed box which is certainly not sealed from the passenger compartment.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars that have their battery in the interior have a vent hose that leads outside of the car.

Your ground should be to the unibody rail where your wrench is resting. Your engine ground should go to this rail as well and be the same size as your power lead.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Man-Crush Warning

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
At least in the Odyssey battery's case, it is a sealed and non-spill design. It can be mounted in any orientation. It does not need a sealed box vented to the outside.
"Valve Regulated Lead Acid (CRLA) batteries like the Odyssey depend on the internal recombination of the gases for proper operation. ...It is not uncommon to see these batteries in aircraft, hospital operating rooms and computer rooms."
I believe the Optima is the same as they state: "Completely spillproof, mountable in virtually any position"
There is venting in these cars in the rear compartment and at least for these batteries, I see no need for a sealed box.
I think Mr. am_muscl is in pretty decent shape here with his installation.
Optima could make their batteries out of unicorn blood sealed in titanium and waterproof to 2miles but as long as its a battery and not behind a firewall or sealed trunk... NHRA says it needs a sealed/vented box.

Would suck to get booted from track of sloppy install of battery relo.

Just saying.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much easier, lighter, and cheaper to buy a baby battery and keep in stock location.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be relocating my battery soon, even with my optima it will still be sealed and vented with an external kill switch since I plan on taking her to the track often.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
So much easier, lighter, and cheaper to buy a baby battery and keep in stock location.
Truuuuu^^
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Very true. However, many people do this to move 40+ pounds to the rear of the vehicle in an otherwise regular street car with mods but it's not necessarily a track car that will be REQUIRED to have a sealed box and cut off switch. Street guys have been doing this forever. An otherwise regular street car shouldn't have a smaller lightweight lower capacity battery. The particular one I chose is pretty pricey and I doubt many would use it.

Originally Posted by IDriveChevy
I'll be relocating my battery soon, even with my optima it will still be sealed and vented with an external kill switch since I plan on taking her to the track often.
Good call.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can someone please show me how they mounted their cutoff switch? I got the Moroso battery disconnect switch and I'm scratching my head on how it should be mounted
Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by am_muscl
Can someone please show me how they mounted their cutoff switch? I got the Moroso battery disconnect switch and I'm scratching my head on how it should be mounted
It needs to cut off the alternator and battery positive from the car.

Quick Reply: Trunk mounted battery