LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need alot of help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need alot of help!!

OK...so I put a 95 lt1 6spd in mY 96 rs (3.8l auto)
After all the BULL...I got it running..
When I hit gas hard it smokes and oil blows all over the hood on the passengers side
I'll try to get pics. What would cause oil to spray all over the hood and motor
Its like the clutch is slipping?
I have oil in my coolant but no coolant in my oil(Did yet another oil change to check..3rd so far) oil level didn't budge as well

Last edited by Raptercat92; 03-04-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptercat92
OK...so I put a 95 lt1 6spd in mY 96 rs (3.8l auto)
After all the BULL...I got it running..
When I hit gas hard it smokes and oil blows all over the hood on the passengers side
I'll try to get pics. What would cause oil to spray all over the hood and motor
Its like the clutch is slipping?
I have oil in my coolant but no coolant in my oil(Did yet another oil change to check..3rd so far) oil level didn't budge as well
I'm leaning towards a head gasket. Also check your PCV valve.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

How can oil get into a coolant passage from a blown head gasket? There is a positive pressure on the coolant at all times, if not from the water pump, then from coolant temp? The oil spray could be from a valve cover gasket not sealing correctly or a PCV system not hooked up correctly.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where on the engine is the oil blowing out of.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
How can oil get into a coolant passage from a blown head gasket? There is a positive pressure on the coolant at all times, if not from the water pump, then from coolant temp? The oil spray could be from a valve cover gasket not sealing correctly or a PCV system not hooked up correctly.
There's more pressure in the cylinder than the water jackets. That causes **** to go in all kinds of places you wouldn't think of.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
Where on the engine is the oil blowing out of.
I'm gonna guess dip stick from a bad pcv.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Even then, oil would then have to make it past the oil rings and into the compression chamber. The vacuum of the intake stroke would draw coolant into the cylinder and if there's combustion, would over pressurize the coolant system and would start bubbling over into the coolant reservoir. If that's happening, then perhaps you're onto something, however something else comes to mind:
Originally Posted by hrcslam
I'm gonna guess dip stick from a bad pcv.
It could also be from blowby up through the dipstick, especially if one of the cylinders is cracked, but then again, the dipstick would also have to be out of the tube.

OP,

A simple way to test to see if you have a blown head gasket, or worse is to get a coolant pressure tester. Pressurize the system to normal operating temperature (18psi?) and see if the gauge starts to drop, and how fast. If it does, do it a few times, take the spark plugs out and rotate the crank to see if coolant runs out of the spark plug hole. Is the dipstick staying in place in the tube or has it popped out?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Raptorcat92, welcome to LS1tech!

Please step back in here and answer those few questions-help us to help you.

Also, tell us about this engine. Where did it come from? Any work done to it? What was it's condition when you got it?

Have a look here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html
Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Even then, oil would then have to make it past the oil rings and into the compression chamber. The vacuum of the intake stroke would draw coolant into the cylinder and if there's combustion, would over pressurize the coolant system and would start bubbling over into the coolant reservoir. If that's happening, then perhaps you're onto something, however something else comes to mind:

It could also be from blowby up through the dipstick, especially if one of the cylinders is cracked, but then again, the dipstick would also have to be out of the tube.

OP,

A simple way to test to see if you have a blown head gasket, or worse is to get a coolant pressure tester. Pressurize the system to normal operating temperature (18psi?) and see if the gauge starts to drop, and how fast. If it does, do it a few times, take the spark plugs out and rotate the crank to see if coolant runs out of the spark plug hole. Is the dipstick staying in place in the tube or has it popped out?
All good points. I had a bad PCV valve blow my dipstick out and splurge oil all over my passenger side header. But I'm modded. Not sure a stock engine would do that.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
All good points. I had a bad PCV valve blow my dipstick out and splurge oil all over my passenger side header. But I'm modded. Not sure a stock engine would do that.
Did your car smoke at all on a warm start up? I just changed my whole pcv line and valve after the car had a hanging idle, running a little off when hot, puffing a little smoke and smelling like burning oil at times. When I took the line off to make a new one my elbow that goes to the pcv was almost completely collapsed. I think the pcv was about ten years old. When you tilted the old valve on it's side you could almost see through it. The valve in the middle was really loose and would fall to one side when tilting it. Enough to see daylight.

Quick Reply: Need alot of help!!