LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 oil leak problem

Hello all, so I've got a 1995 T/A with 67k and a serious puddle under the back side of the motor, about 10inch in diameter every time I park in my garage. The car only starts to leak when running and drips off of the oil pan and bell housing. It has been getting steadily worse and I cant for the life of me solve the problem.
In the past few months I've replaced the intake manifold seals, valve cover gaskets, and the rear main seal. Still the puddle is not getting any smaller. The only other possible source that I can think of causing a leak this size would be the oil pan gasket, which leads me to my question. Is it normal for an oil pan gasket to leak when the car is running and not while parked? I have no experience with this but i've thought that if there were a break in the pan gasket it would leak even while sitting.
I would love any opinions weather they be related to the pan gasket or another possible source.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My front main seal leaked and as your driving down the road it will blow oil back everywhere else. Could be that. OR also check your trans pan bolts and see if any are missing because when I first purchased my car it had the same puddle you are describing, it had 3 loose trans pan bolts and one missing, after fixing that and replacing the front main seal, it was gone after a few days of driving.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the oil pressure sensor?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I checked the oil pressure sensor when I had the intake manifold off and it was fine, no leaks. The front of the motor is surprisingly dry so I don't think the front main has started leaking yet, and i'd check the trans pan but its a t56.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There also is the possibility that even though you replaced the seals and gaskets that they still are leaking. If you find the time see if you can post some pics of what it would leave over night.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

rear of motor dripping down often is intake manifold (rear) leak...but you say you fixed that and then valve covers would be the next..which you fixed...and then the RMS . Holly repair batman..the RMS is a big job

I would steam the motor so it is clean, put some oil dye in and get a blacklight and find wtf the leak is before you swap anymore parts

pan leak, yeah but not a common leak. The most common is rear intake. run your hand back there...any oil??
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What seals did you change in the intake? Are you referring to replacing the intake manifold gaskets, which would also necessitate the application of RTV at the front and rear of the intake where it sits on the block? I would make doubly sure that the rear of the intake is not leaking. It's a very common leak. You could simply run your hand along the back part of the engine where the intake meets the block.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM

I actually just picked up some uv dye yesterday, I'll try and post pictures of the results.

Originally Posted by BTC
What seals did you change in the intake? Are you referring to replacing the intake manifold gaskets, which would also necessitate the application of RTV at the front and rear of the intake where it sits on the block? I would make doubly sure that the rear of the intake is not leaking. It's a very common leak. You could simply run your hand along the back part of the engine where the intake meets the block.
I used the Fel-Pro MS95580 set and Permatex ultra copper, every time I run my fingers on the block below the rtv on the back they come back with hardly even a shine of oil.
After performing some arm yoga I managed to film a clip of the back of the manifold with my phone, it may look like like there's oil on the block but I believe that's just the paint finish, because like I said it barely even gives my finger a shine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxy6...ature=youtu.be
And some pictures to go with

Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWings
I used the Fel-Pro MS95580 set and Permatex ultra copper, every time I run my fingers on the block below the rtv on the back they come back with hardly even a shine of oil.
After performing some arm yoga I managed to film a clip of the back of the manifold with my phone, it may look like like there's oil on the block but I believe that's just the paint finish, because like I said it barely even gives my finger a shine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxy6...ature=youtu.be
And some pictures to go with

When you mentioned seals, I wasn't sure you were talking about the intake manifold gaskets, which is why I asked that question. The rear of your intake certainly does not appear to be leaking.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long did you let the intake cure for when you installed it?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by myltwon
How long did you let the intake cure for when you installed it?
About 30 or so hours.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWings
About 30 or so hours.
Key ingredient right here. Those who have issues with intakes leaking after trying to fix it most likely did not let the sealant cure long enough, and with the constant assault of oil vapor it's imperative time is given to let the sealant dry.

Quick Reply: LT1 oil leak problem