LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

question about coolant level sensor on radiator lt1

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default question about coolant level sensor on radiator lt1

I have a 95 camaro z28... recenlty bought a aftermarket radiator made for my 95 z28 lt1.. It does not have a spot for the coolant level sensor ( square looking sensor) - located near the top on the side.. Anyways.. have it unplug would it do anything throw any lights,etc,... do i really need to have it plugged in.. i have the fans running all the time on a switch so im not concerned if it would not turn the cooling fans on --- just wondering if i need it --- or can i just plug it in and tuck in the corner without putting it on the radiator??
Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by detroit_903
I have a 95 camaro z28... recenlty bought a aftermarket radiator made for my 95 z28 lt1.. It does not have a spot for the coolant level sensor ( square looking sensor) - located near the top on the side.. Anyways.. have it unplug would it do anything throw any lights,etc,... do i really need to have it plugged in.. i have the fans running all the time on a switch so im not concerned if it would not turn the cooling fans on --- just wondering if i need it --- or can i just plug it in and tuck in the corner without putting it on the radiator??
I've had mine taped up and zip tied off to the side since I bought the car. But another note, coolig fans on all the time? Bad idea. Having your fans on at highway speeds can actually hurt the airflow across the radiator. Also an engine needs to reach IMHO about 200* for a little while to burn away the condensation in the engine. I think it's actually 192* but I just let my temperature gauge reach 200 and turn the fans on. Or if I'm sitting in traffic forever or a drive through I'll hit them on low till I get moving.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

its ok to not use it. its just an idiot light. there will be a light on the dash but thats about it. its like the low oil light sensor. it doesnt change the fans coming on or anything. i think there it a thread that uses a resistor to trick the sensor so the light doesnt come on
Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
I've had mine taped up and zip tied off to the side since I bought the car. But another note, coolig fans on all the time? Bad idea. Having your fans on at highway speeds can actually hurt the airflow across the radiator. Also an engine needs to reach IMHO about 200* for a little while to burn away the condensation in the engine. I think it's actually 192* but I just let my temperature gauge reach 200 and turn the fans on. Or if I'm sitting in traffic forever or a drive through I'll hit them on low till I get moving.

My car runs 205- 210 with 160 thermo -stock radiator and fans on all the time.. it gets very very hot --- its highly modified 383 with a supercharger... allot of heat under the hood.. Plus my intercooler is actaully blocking my air dam underneather -- so i dont get that much air flow... but anyways back to that sensor... did u get any lights on the dash did u plug the sensor in and taped it up or just have it unplugged taped up/
Old 05-03-2015, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The light will turn off if you unplug the sensor. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car runs 205- 210 with 160 thermo -stock radiator and fans on all the time.. it gets very very hot --- its highly modified 383 with a supercharger... allot of heat under the hood.. Plus my intercooler is actaully blocking my air dam underneather -- so i dont get that much air flow... but anyways back to that sensor... did u get any lights on the dash did u plug the sensor in and taped it up or just have it unplugged taped up/
Oh I didn't know I thought you were a stock or bolt on car.. Forgive my idiocy I'm on the mobile site and no you won't there's actually a thread on here talking about that. That sensor is so finicky no matter what the light will come in if it IS plugged in. That's why I took mine out, it is totally fine and nothing to worry about.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Its too hot, my turbo and huge FMIC doesn't cause my car to get anywhere near that hot.

I removed the sensor and wiring from car. Yank the dash and pull the bulb, otherwise just leave the wires hidden somewhere.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
its ok to not use it. its just an idiot light. there will be a light on the dash but thats about it. its like the low oil light sensor. it doesnt change the fans coming on or anything. i think there it a thread that uses a resistor to trick the sensor so the light doesnt come on
Not needed. The light will not come on with the low coolant sensor unplugged. It is not like the low oil sensor. The low coolant sensor is a normally open sensor and the oil level sensor is a normally closed one.

Quick Reply: question about coolant level sensor on radiator lt1