LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The garage ornament is now a DD

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not for that ******* price! Not all of us are baller scientifical engineers! There's a lot of ammunition that can be bought for that kind of money!
This aged well.
The following 2 users liked this post by SS RRR:
biketopia (10-08-2020), gallardo259 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I think I found a 1/4 mile track 40 minutes from my house. It’s Coastal Plains Raceway Park, just north of Jacksonville. I was watching Cleetus this morning and have a hankerin for the track, tried to remember the last time I’ve gone and I think it was 2012. When I pulled the camaro in the garage after a few rips on the street I definitely had some oil stains on the driveway, so I think the car sitting so long has made the leak worse. I need to get that solved. I’m 90% sure it’s the front of the intake. I really need to just pull the intake and get that done
Git 'r dun! Mine doesn't leak. Much.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Went to Coastal Plains that night with the wife and our 3 year old boy and 6 year old girl. It is a lot different than MIR, Englishtown, Cecil, Capitol, and Old Dominion. All in all, I’m very happy there’s a legit 1/4 mile only 30 minutes from the house, but a few lessons learned:

1. The bleachers are NOT safe for little kids. The tracks I’m used to had big aluminum bleachers with rails between them so you can’t fall through. These were slippery wet 2x12s, with zero other material between where your butt goes and your feet go. A 300lb man could fall between the seat and foot spot 20’, let alone little kids. Was a PITA to wrangle them and not let the kids fall through.
2. A lot of grass and mud. Was a PITA to not have the kids just jump in mud puddles.
3. It is a slower pace of life here in the south. I’m used to seeing people start their burnout the second someone leaves the line, then people staging and the tree coming down shortly after someone crosses the finish line. They didn’t even start their burnouts until the previous guy was off the track. Really made it a slow pace and hard to keep the kids interested.
4. Walking through the pits I saw a ton of 5.0s and challengers that looked decently modded, but when it came time to race, it was all mid 13s to mid 14s. Nobody can shift for their lives. I definitely wouldn’t feel out of place there, if I can get into the 12s on street tires I’d be right there with 90% of the street cars.
5. Take a **** BEFORE you go. Nature called about an hour after we got there, and I had to take my 3 year old with me. The stall doors were only like 4’ tall, so as you walk in you can see over the stall and look at people pooping. No choice tho, no time to complain, it had to happen. Very weird experience, trying to keep my son from crawling on the floor, and he goes “ew daddy why did you make it smell in here?” Kids are brutal. Thats probably the last time I take the kids to this track for a while.

I need to get the oil leak fixed on the camaro, and want to try to make a pass this year, but I don’t know when the last test n tune is. My buddy has my trailer so I can’t just clean the underside of the car and tow it there, I’d have to drive it and it would be too oily to make a pass after a 30 minute drive. I want to go make a pass this year, but may just take my wife’s 07 g35. My dad wants to go too, and I want him to take his ‘16 Sierra 6.2 8 speed, since that supposedly does 13.9 stock, and it would be hilarious to see a 6000lb stock crew cab beat up on 5.0s and challengers. I think the g35 would hold its own as well.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 10-27-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Haven't been to that track in NC but been to a few, that one seems to be the quintessential description. That's kind of a bummer they wait until the track is cleared before burnouts happen, like you said makes for a slow process for a TnT. The story about the 4 foot stall doors, shoo, that brings back memories from high school haha. Our school had the same thing, I graduated in 05 and the school was being renovated then and I don't think completed until 07/08. But the girls and boys stalls were the exact same, your head was over the side and there was no door. **** that, I rolled into the faculty bathroom every morning.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:31 AM
Village Troll

The tracks I’m used to had big aluminum bleachers with rails between them so you can’t fall through.
You mean NHRA/IHRA sanctioned tracks? One of the biggest reasons I miss VA are MIR, Cecil and even that 1/8mi track that wasn't too far from Warrenton. That coupled with mineshaft DA made some magical memories. Now I'm stuck at ~9000' DA's in the summer. Sad!
Old 10-30-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

You mean NHRA/IHRA sanctioned tracks? One of the biggest reasons I miss VA are MIR, Cecil and even that 1/8mi track that wasn't too far from Warrenton. That coupled with mineshaft DA made some magical memories. Now I'm stuck at ~9000' DA's in the summer. Sad!
Was it you that lives in CO in the summer?
Old 10-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Was it you that lives in CO in the summer?
I did live there a long time ago. Never raced at Bandimere. Track I've been to recently is a little 1/8mi track in Idaho.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 AM
12 Second Club

I’ve got a riddle: What causes you to have to put your plans to finally do an engine swap on the camaro you’ve had for 15 years to go on hold again?

answer: when you mistime you’re wife’s ovulation cycle.

Maybe in 18 years I’ll update this thread with some actual progress. 3rd kid coming summer 2021. Now where’s that article on at-home vasectomys since COVID closed all non essential surgeries... Don’t get me wrong I’m very excited for another kid, we’ll see if the Camaro sticks around now though, this may have been the final reason to just sell it, we need a bigger boat and truck and I would rather do things I can enjoy with my kids, we’ll see how spring goes, but very unlikely to see that 355 go in this year.
The following users liked this post:
chevymec (02-27-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:04 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

excuses excuses

congrats man
Old 01-13-2021, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

I’ve got a riddle: What causes you to have to put your plans to finally do an engine swap on the camaro you’ve had for 15 years to go on hold again?

answer: when you mistime you’re wife’s ovulation cycle.

Maybe in 18 years I’ll update this thread with some actual progress. 3rd kid coming summer 2021. Now where’s that article on at-home vasectomys since COVID closed all non essential surgeries... Don’t get me wrong I’m very excited for another kid, we’ll see if the Camaro sticks around now though, this may have been the final reason to just sell it, we need a bigger boat and truck and I would rather do things I can enjoy with my kids, we’ll see how spring goes, but very unlikely to see that 355 go in this year.
I resemble that remark, got one coming Friday. I also got snipped over the summer when everyone forgot about the covids. Seems like a simple enough ordeal to DIY, it's all about having the right tools.
The following 2 users liked this post by Supercharged111:
biketopia (01-13-2021), bufmatmuslepants (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man, turn it into something the kids will like...and build a turbo motor for the Tahoe haha.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I've trashed a few projects when the wife got pregnant! Just noticed we are not too far away from each other.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:56 AM
12 Second Club

Car is up for sale. Not sure if I ever actually sell it or if I find something wrong with every buyer who I talk to, but I’m realizing there’s no prayer of this car doing anything but sitting for minimum 5 years at this point. $5000 is what I’m asking at this point, $10,000 including the enclosed trailer, 355, heads and cam, spare short block, and every other part in my stash.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:00 AM
12 Second Club

Update: put the car up for sale, had a ton of interest, but couldn’t come to parting with it. 3rd kid is here, happy and healthy baby boy Liam (however my 4 year old son says Liam is a bad name so he says his name is Rainbow). I got a new job that I start in a few weeks, and maybe, just maybe, the camaro will get some love or at least a trip to the track this year or at minimum a long overdue oil change and new starter. I took my 4 year old on a ride in it a month ago and he loved it and talks about Daddy’s race car all the time. My dad has been expressing interest in helping me put together the 355 and getting that installed (mostly to get it out of his garage), so there is a chance I get something done this winter.
The following 4 users liked this post by bufmatmuslepants:
AnthonyS (10-25-2021), biketopia (10-19-2021), JoshHefnerX (10-19-2021), rentedmule (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Village Troll

Life is a marathon. Not a race, my guy.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Life is a marathon. Not a race, my guy.
This.

I am lucky if I drive my heep once or twice a month these days.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell, I pulled mine out of the garage yesterday so I could paint shutters....most action it's seen in months.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Village Troll

Even though I went to the track once this summer I still have the same gas that was in it the summer before this one. Did pour in some stabilizer a few weeks ago. That'll help... Probably not.
Pulled the Canton pan out of it because it has developed leaky bungs. That was fun. I picked the wrong car to be OCD about oil leaks.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I went to the track once this summer I still have the same gas that was in it the summer before this one. Did pour in some stabilizer a few weeks ago. That'll help... Probably not.
Pulled the Canton pan out of it because it has developed leaky bungs. That was fun. I picked the wrong car to be OCD about oil leaks.
Are you still keeping that pile afloat?
Hey bud long time man!! Hope life is treating you well brother. I still have my Trans Am

The following users liked this post:
AnthonyS (10-25-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:01 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by PonchoDude
Are you still keeping that pile afloat?
Hey bud long time man!! Hope life is treating you well brother. I still have my Trans Am
Hey Glen! Even amongst all the bullshit going on these days life is good. Never thought I'd say it, but I do miss VA/MD a lot. Just not the traffic.
Yeah my **** still runs. I don't do anything with it but drive it now. No spots to cruise really. LOTS of open road though. It's fantastic. Lots of bro dozers wanting races and get mad when they loose. Good to see that pile of yours again and looks to be in great shape! Was just thinking about what Kenny G and CockBreathR were doing these days!

Quick Reply: The garage ornament is now a DD