LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please help ASAP! Quick pre-purchase question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015 | 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

I have to think this was a case of more money than brains and would wonder what other terrible choices were made.

Things like the Aeromotive regulator and braided lines sound like great parts but in reality are more proof of wild ignorance, stock regulator and lines are fine for a lot more power than this will make.
Far as more perspective on the cam I turn a 228 duration cam to 69-7000rpm

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 09-27-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2015 | 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
It means that a mommy with five kids in a Dodge Voyager would dust your ***

KW
Hey.. I'll have you know voyager is my Camaro not no damn sissy liberal arts soccer mom van!
Old 09-28-2015 | 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by germ79
.....With this cam I should expect low end power, but not top-end or the other way around?.....
Low RPM power will be sluggish.

High RPM power will be pretty strong....BUT....the upper power range of this cam is a bit BEYOND what a stock PCM will handle (7K+ RPMs). So you wouldn't even get all the power that the cam is capable of.

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Hey.. I'll have you know voyager is my Camaro not no damn sissy liberal arts soccer mom van!

KW
Old 09-28-2015 | 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well, fellas, I went to look at it. Drove 4 hours. It was gorgeous. Great condition. BUT, it had some issues. Things that were more than I wanted to tackle. Driveability was so-so. Felt slow. Sounded amazing, though! Thanks for your help, guys!
Old 09-28-2015 | 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well, fellas, I went to look at it. Drove 4 hours. It was gorgeous. Great condition. BUT, it had some issues. Things that were more than I wanted to tackle. Driveability was so-so. Felt slow. Sounded amazing, though! Thanks for your help, guys!
Most of the problems were more than likely related to having such a large cam... You could have bought it put a smaller cam in... If your looking for fast/streetable I would recommend a custom grind. IMO the perfect street cam would probs be somewhere around 224/236 with 111 maybe 112 LSA. The power band would be perfect for the street for a good punchy feeling midrange.
Old 09-29-2015 | 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

What are you used to driving? Just wondering for reference.
Old 09-29-2015 | 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Ever ride an old 2 stroke dirtbike? At low rpm they were slow as hell, until you got it screaming at high rpm. That's what a huge cam on stock compression, stock gears and stock heads feels like. No power down low, no power midrange, then you hit the powerband and it goes. Problem is the stock rod bolts will stretch and fail at 6500, well before you can rev that thing high enough to make any power. If you kept it below 5000 on your test drive, that's why it felt slow.
Old 09-29-2015 | 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Ever ride an old 2 stroke dirtbike? At low rpm they were slow as hell, until you got it screaming at high rpm. That's what a huge cam on stock compression, stock gears and stock heads feels like. No power down low, no power midrange, then you hit the powerband and it goes. Problem is the stock rod bolts will stretch and fail at 6500, well before you can rev that thing high enough to make any power. If you kept it below 5000 on your test drive, that's why it felt slow.
I asked to see how bad this combination is. Like is it slower than a Civic? Grand Voyager? Or maybe a fox stang 5.0?
Old 09-29-2015 | 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Felt slower than the LT1 WS6 I used to own with a couple minor bolt-ins. You're right though, I didn't rev it crazy high. Right now I drive a 381hp Sequoia, but it also weighs 6000lbs! My Sequioa feels just as fast.

He's actually going to fix a few things and I may look at it again. It was so incredibly clean and well cared for, it's hard to pass up.

I just need to find a new friend that can teach me how to install a cam! Will I need to retune it if I do?
Old 09-29-2015 | 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Felt slower than the LT1 WS6 I used to own with a couple minor bolt-ins. You're right though, I didn't rev it crazy high. Right now I drive a 381hp Sequoia, but it also weighs 6000lbs! My Sequioa feels just as fast.

He's actually going to fix a few things and I may look at it again. It was so incredibly clean and well cared for, it's hard to pass up.

I just need to find a new friend that can teach me how to install a cam! Will I need to retune it if I do?
Shbox has a really nice write up on taking a cam out then installing a new one. Make sure and beef your valve train up while your at... PAC1218 springs, isky retainers, good 1.6 roller rockers. And yes you will need a new tune for a new cam. Remember what I said to, if your wanting a fun street car get something mild. Remember on a daily your gonna be speed limits anywhere from 35-75 depending where you live. You'll want something with good power down low and a nice heavy hitting mid range. Something among the lines of 224/236 with 112 LSA should have a nice torque curve and plenty of fun on the streets and highways. Now with 4.10 gears coupled with all this in a 6 speed? Yeah!

Quick Reply: Please help ASAP! Quick pre-purchase question.