LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Muffler shopping, looking for sound clips / sound advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Muffler shopping, looking for sound clips / sound advice

I'm pulling the rearmount turbo from my TA to make it a DD. I'll have to buy a muffler & tailpipes among other things. My desire like some I've read here is to be quiet but not restrictive, and no droning at highway speeds- I had a Flowmaster on my truck & got rid of it for that reason. My setup is:
A 383 with LT4 heads & intake, Hot cam, 52mm TB, 1.6 roller rockers, Mac mid-length headers, high flow aftermarket cat, and a 3" intermediate pipe.

The pipe had a header flange to mount the turbo, so I can easily use a collector adapter to mount either a 3" or 2.5" inlet muffler and have no need for a catback system. I have a 3" adapter, so since I have a modded motor I'm leaning towards a 3" inlet muffler. I want to retain the stock look and am planning to pickup some stock exhaust tips, or something with a larger inlet that has the same appearance. This is also a budget build, I'm selling the other parts to pay for what I'm buying.

The OEM replacement mufflers are 24" overall with a 19" case.

Here's a stock LT1 exhaust sound clip I found:

I've been doing some reading & searching on YouTube and so far have eliminated the following due to sound and/or cost/quality:
  • Magnaflow (and the similar Jones/AP Xlerator, a shame because a SS crossflow muffler was only $50)
  • Flowmaster & the similar Jones/AP model
  • Dynomax Ultraflow
  • Pypes
  • All race/bullet mufflers
  • Hooker Aerochamber (have read about quality issues)
  • Dynomax VT (interesting idea that apparently does not hold up)
  • Borla (too expensive)

I'm leaning toward the Dynomax Super Turbo. I see it is a 2.5" in/out for #17739 (OEM sized case) and the larger one is 3" in/out #17670. The 17670 is a little wider at 26" & 22" (the case is fatter also) and shows as being for the LSx F-bodies but I'm sure it could be adapted. There is a third one #17786 that is 2.5" in and 2.25" out, 26" OA and 21" case. The 17739 is the best deal of the lot at a little over $60. Dynomax describes the ST as the quietest performance muffler they sell.

This video has an LT1 Corvette with Super Turbo mufflers. I like the sound, but I know the system is different:

Other options include:
The Walker stock replacement units:
  • Sound FX 18375 ($35). I found a video with a third gen Camaro and it sounded crappy IMO.
  • Quiet Flow 22354 (SS, $75), both are OEM size and have 2.5" in and 2.25" out. The latter being a "premium" muffler carries a lifetime warranty and a money back replacement with up to $50 in labor. I'm thinking these would be too restrictive.

The drawbacks I see to a full 3" in/out system are:
  • Noise
  • Added cost for 3" tailpipes and/or adapters (the adapters applies to all the 2.5" outlet mufflers also)

If I can find a sound clip of the Super turbo 17670 3" in/out this would be a help.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

You don't leave many options but I like Spintech.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the best way to judge off sound is to hear the setups in person. Someone with a killer exhaust setup with a shitty quality camera/phone takes away a lot of choosing an great throaty exhaust. So hear them in person before spending $$$$. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
You don't leave many options but I like Spintech.
Visited their site. Difficult to use IMO, they offer a lot of mufflers. As near as I can tell (lack of illustrations), the crossflow would be the one for an F-Body, but they are like $170. I saw their dual outlet tips are $155 each! Both are way too much for my budget.

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
I'd say the best way to judge off sound is to hear the setups in person. Someone with a killer exhaust setup with a shitty quality camera/phone takes away a lot of choosing an great throaty exhaust. So hear them in person before spending $$$$. Good luck!
I don't get out much and am in a small town. While that's a great idea it is not practical for me.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After doing a lot of shopping, it looks like I can score the 17670 3" I/O Super turbo, two stock 2.25" tailpipes, and 6 clamps @ Advance for about $101 thanks to a $10 coupon & 20% off plus 7% cashback (offsets the sales tax). It's rare when their prices beat those online, and factoring in returns are a lot easier I'll buy there. I found a couple of 3" x 2.25" reducers and 2.25" dual pencil exhaust tips for about $76, so I'm around $177 for all new parts.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My phone isn't letting me upload my video but I have Spintech muffler and it is truly bad ***! YouTube it Spintech F-body.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As an update, I had no idea how difficult it would be to find a pair of 3" OD x 2.25" ID reducers. Walker/Dynomax doesn't make one, and the vendors that do apparently don't make many. The only parts house that carries them is O'Reilly, and while they only want $4.50 each, they want over $18 to ship them. I'm looking at buying some aluminum and making 3/8" wall bushings since the muffler is wider than stock.

UPDATE
I found a pair of 3" x 3/8" wall aluminum pipe sections (2.25" ID) on eBay that were 1.25" wide for $6. I cut a diagonal slot in each so they would seal the 2.25" pipe better and they are a good fit.

UPDATE 2
Sound clip attached. I've only driven the car for a short period and with the window open, but I think the Dynomax 17670 is the best bang for the buck w/o being excessively loud.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
1995 Trans Am Dynomax 17670.mp3 (423.4 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by V8 Supra Builder; 02-05-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Cheap solution

Quick Reply: Muffler shopping, looking for sound clips / sound advice