LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best opti's as of 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016 | 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chaney1974
Check out Sac City Corvette web page they sell AIP electronics Opti with a 2 year warranty the unit is made in the good old USA, many road racing teams use this part
Cool thanks, I've never heard of those before; I'll look into those. For the moment I should be buying a CPP opti from a member on here. Getting a great deal on it with MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, and new plugs. BUT, I need another opti for another car so I'm going to try something different on that one so I'm still looking for tips like this one. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2016 | 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

not familiar with the "CCP opti"

I have only used either original AC Delco or the Delphi Optis and replaced the cap & rotor when needed with a MSD C&R

There are endless threads about "other" Opti's with the common point they either are bad right out of the box or have a short life.

with this said I have read threads + for Skip White Optis....but it is the iternet

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=6507-LT

although you may be getting what you pay for....YMMV
Old 01-21-2016 | 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
not familiar with the "CCP opti"

I have only used either original AC Delco or the Delphi Optis and replaced the cap & rotor when needed with a MSD C&R

There are endless threads about "other" Opti's with the common point they either are bad right out of the box or have a short life.

with this said I have read threads + for Skip White Optis....but it is the iternet

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=6507-LT

although you may be getting what you pay for....YMMV
Yah I've been reading opti threads for a couple years now. Now I'm scared to buy one lol. I'll read up on that skip white one, hella cheap and thanks for showing me that. Oh and, CPP = chevy performance parts. Otherwise known as GMPP I think? I remember reading about the GMPP optis and they were about the best alternative from what I read, next to an AC/Delco or Delphi. They were more expensive though and not even as highly regarded as the oem untits, just like with MSD. SO I had always figured I'd just buy one of the oem ones. But, guy on here who is local for me, is selling me the "CPP" opti WITH MSD wires and the MSD cap and rotor, all brand new, for close to the price of just a oem opti alone. Plus I'm getting a few other things I need from a pontiac he is parting out, so I couldn't pass up the deal with it being local/no shipping. However, I'm still looking into other options for my other car which needs an opti as well. I was kind of interested in the CARDONE opti that Advance and Autozone sell. It is $150 at one, and $200 at the other one (dumbasses). But it's only $115 on Rockauto. Anyway, I read a few good reviews about it, some on here. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty so when it fails (which may not take long), you get another free. Some people have logged tens of thousands of miles on them no problem. But I have also read a few reviews that said they only got a few hundred miles out of it. I know these things are hit or miss. It's the fact that the LT1 f bodys are such a pain in the ***, is why I like keeping mine around. I don't want to give up like so many have and upgrade to an LS car/engine. I've been there, told myself to just get an LS Camaro. It's better in every way, I know this. Especially the ignition! But it's because it's a challenge to make a smooth running beast of an LT1 that I want to perservere: I view it as a challenge. It's my goal to walk all over the local LS crowd here, and see the look on their face. All awhile still rocking an opti, not a coil pack conversion or the like. It's my understanding that, matched with an EWP, a Delco/Delphi is pretty reliable and my worries will be behind me. Probably what I'm going for with the other car. And I guess we'll see how the CPP does. Hopefully I'll be on here years from now saying they both still work. I think I'll post some more threads with the install for each, and track my success/failure rate.
Old 01-21-2016 | 05:36 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I'm pretty sure that a GMPP opti = AC Delco opti. Summit Racing clearanced their GMPP optis a few years ago. If I remember correctly, the unvented versions, which is what I needed, got as low as $199. I bought a couple during that sale and took one of them apart to confirm that it had the Mitsubishi optical sensor.

If I had to buy a new opti now, I would be looking at Delphi, assuming they are still making new units. The optical sensor seems to be the most important component and I'm pretty much certain that Delphi used the same sensor as AC Delco and is probably the same piece of equipment in general.
Old 01-22-2016 | 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

a "new" Delphi seems to not come up on google search...although some may be available on some part store shelf
Old 01-22-2016 | 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
Cool thanks, I've never heard of those before; I'll look into those. For the moment I should be buying a CPP opti from a member on here. Getting a great deal on it with MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, and new plugs. BUT, I need another opti for another car so I'm going to try something different on that one so I'm still looking for tips like this one. Thanks!
Hi CamaroWhoopAss,
We are a vender here on LS1tech.
Here is a link to the info on the AIP Oti's.
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AIPOptiSpark.html

Thank you,
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 01-22-2016 | 05:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by chaney1974
Check out Sac City Corvette web page they sell AIP electronics Opti with a 2 year warranty the unit is made in the good old USA, many road racing teams use this part
Thank you chaney1974 for the good word!

Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 01-22-2016 | 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just about to mention the AIP. I had one on my turbo camaro for a few years and even used the sensor in my deltq system for a while before I switched to the AEM Infinity with coil per cylinder. It ran great. I had a problem with other brands rotors blowing apart. the AIP rotor looked the same as the others but I never had it fail.
Old 01-22-2016 | 07:21 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that AIP optisparks used to be know as All Ignition, which did not have a very good track record. Whether or not they have changed, I can't say.
Old 01-23-2016 | 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
Hi CamaroWhoopAss,
We are a vender here on LS1tech.
Here is a link to the info on the AIP Oti's.
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AIPOptiSpark.html

Thank you,
Christian
Originally Posted by 1toofastlt1
I was just about to mention the AIP. I had one on my turbo camaro for a few years and even used the sensor in my deltq system for a while before I switched to the AEM Infinity with coil per cylinder. It ran great. I had a problem with other brands rotors blowing apart. the AIP rotor looked the same as the others but I never had it fail.
Guys, looks like the AIP is a pretty damn good deal at less than $200 and a 2 year warranty. Can handle 8000rpm and 330* temps? Hell yah, I'm impressed. See this is why I started this thread. I've never even heard of AIP opti's. Thanks to everyone in this ENTIRE thread for responding. I'm gonna see what kind of reviews I can find on the AIP. Seems like a solid choice for the price. I wish I was rich and had like 10 lt1's instead of the 3 so I could buy one of each opti and test them all long term and see how they compare, finally answering the "best opti" question once and for all. I may end up with that AIP. Just waiting for my tax return so I can start buying parts. Keep the suggestions comming!
Old 01-25-2016 | 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

You want to make sure the optical sensor in the replacement distributor you buy is the Mitsubishi one. Last time I checked AC Delco was the only supplier that still used them and not some knock off.
Old 01-25-2016 | 09:55 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Assuming you can find one, Delphi uses/used Mitsubishi optical sensors.
Old 09-07-2016 | 10:20 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Just FYI, was just on Rock Auto and it looks like they offer AC Delco reman optis. Not sure if that includes a Mitsu optical sensor or not. $308 after sending core.
Old 09-07-2016 | 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

What I've found to be the best long term solution is an MSD opti. That way when it ***** up, you just send it back to MSD and they rebuild it for a lot cheaper than any quality new or reman one. I've had mine for about 5 years without a hiccup though.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Good info ^^^^

Quick Reply: Best opti's as of 2016?