LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

First time on 1/8 mile track

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time on 1/8 mile track

This last Friday at Qualcomm Stadium. Convertible with no weight reduction running 27 inch Hoosiers. 57 year old driver that can't do a decent burn-out.

Best time (9.00) was chasing a built 2007 Z06
Fastest speed (82) was beating a new Dodge Challenger with drag radials

Had about 20 runs and averaged around 9.1. Must have missed my 2-3 shift like 5 times. Had a great time. Need tons more practice if I want to get any better at this.

Have never driven the car that hard - surprised on the abuse it can take.

Attached Thumbnails First time on 1/8 mile track-20160501_104214.jpg  
Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had fun - that's all that matters.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
You had fun - that's all that matters.

practice makes perfect my friend
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z

practice makes perfect my friend
Truth. And even more practice required with a manual.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Keep practicing and enjoy. Barona is a much better track and much safer.

http://www.baronadrags.com/
Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What RPM are you shifting at? That MPH seems very very low. Should be at least 90 for your mods. Glad you had fun, careful as its a slippery slope when you get addicted!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
What RPM are you shifting at? That MPH seems very very low. Should be at least 90 for your mods. Glad you had fun, careful as its a slippery slope when you get addicted!
Hot lapping + weather couldve attributed to that. And I think since its a track in a parking lot the mph traps arent accurate distance apart at the finish.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Hot lapping + weather couldve attributed to that. And I think since its a track in a parking lot the mph traps arent accurate distance apart at the finish.
Your first time out launching a manual on an unprepped track may have a lot to do with your times. Just know if you are wanting to frequent the track more often that is prepped you will eventually break your 10-bolt.
How are you letting your clutch out when you launch?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Quote the wrong post?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Village Troll

Was agreeing with what you said and adding without specifying whom I was posting to. My bad.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

I was shifting between 5500 and 6000 RPM
Old 05-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Your first time out launching a manual on an unprepped track may have a lot to do with your times. Just know if you are wanting to frequent the track more often that is prepped you will eventually break your 10-bolt.
How are you letting your clutch out when you launch?
Tried to keep the RPMs at 3000 and dumped the clutch. Had too much air in my tires my first couple of runs and spun the tires quite a bit.

Are 27s OK with a stick and the mods I have?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Village Troll

What gears in the diff?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

What gears in the diff?
Whatever stock is for an M6. I am going to double check since i did replace the rear end several years ago
Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

A few things to help get those times down.

A. Your launch is going to murder your 10 bolt and not give best times. You want to bring it up to 2000rpm, then kind of bog the motor and launch, letting the torque pull you out. When you go to launch, let the clutch out a touch to get some preload on your rear end, then floor it and control the clutch to bog it and hold around 2000rpm, not feathering the clutch, more of a controlled dump that allows the rpms to not rise even at full throttle, you want to end up with the clutch out but still at 2000 rpm and let the motor do the work. This will eliminate wheel spin, and leave a linear force on the rear end and tires, and you should get down to about a 1.9-20 60'.

2. Shift higher. Go at least until the tach just goes past 6000, best times in a stock long block with long tubes and intake is shifting at 6300, but the tach isn't really clear since it's all red at 6000 so shift after the needle passes 6000.

D. Powershifting/speed shifting. You'll need to practice on the street a bit, starting with shifting while only withdrawing the throttle to 25%, then once that's mastered, 50%, then 75, then 100% wide open throttle shifts. To help shift faster, hold your hand on the shifter, putting a tiny bit of force pushing it towards the next gear, not enough to move it when you don't want to shift yet, but a tiny bit of force. When you go to shift, stab the clutch as fast as you can, and as soon as the clutch engages, you'll feel the shifter get released with your small amount of force you had on the shifter. Follow through with as much speed in that hand as you can, and once you feel your hand starting to move, you should already start retracting the clutch. By the time your hand says to your brain "ok I'm moving", and your brain then tells your left foot "start coming up foot", your hand will have made it to the next gear. There should end up with zero pause in the motion of your left foot, 1 fluid motion stabbing it to the floor then retracting immediately. Done right, and the nose of the car won't even fall an inch. If you can get your shifts fast enough, when power shifting your rpms won't increase, it'll hit the next gear so fast that even at 100% throttle you won't increase rpms, and you'll keep momentum up after shifts.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

A few things to help get those times down.

A. Your launch is going to murder your 10 bolt and not give best times. You want to bring it up to 2000rpm, then kind of bog the motor and launch, letting the torque pull you out. When you go to launch, let the clutch out a touch to get some preload on your rear end, then floor it and control the clutch to bog it and hold around 2000rpm, not feathering the clutch, more of a controlled dump that allows the rpms to not rise even at full throttle, you want to end up with the clutch out but still at 2000 rpm and let the motor do the work. This will eliminate wheel spin, and leave a linear force on the rear end and tires, and you should get down to about a 1.9-20 60'.

2. Shift higher. Go at least until the tach just goes past 6000, best times in a stock long block with long tubes and intake is shifting at 6300, but the tach isn't really clear since it's all red at 6000 so shift after the needle passes 6000.

D. Powershifting/speed shifting. You'll need to practice on the street a bit, starting with shifting while only withdrawing the throttle to 25%, then once that's mastered, 50%, then 75, then 100% wide open throttle shifts. To help shift faster, hold your hand on the shifter, putting a tiny bit of force pushing it towards the next gear, not enough to move it when you don't want to shift yet, but a tiny bit of force. When you go to shift, stab the clutch as fast as you can, and as soon as the clutch engages, you'll feel the shifter get released with your small amount of force you had on the shifter. Follow through with as much speed in that hand as you can, and once you feel your hand starting to move, you should already start retracting the clutch. By the time your hand says to your brain "ok I'm moving", and your brain then tells your left foot "start coming up foot", your hand will have made it to the next gear. There should end up with zero pause in the motion of your left foot, 1 fluid motion stabbing it to the floor then retracting immediately. Done right, and the nose of the car won't even fall an inch. If you can get your shifts fast enough, when power shifting your rpms won't increase, it'll hit the next gear so fast that even at 100% throttle you won't increase rpms, and you'll keep momentum up after shifts.
Thank you very much for the detailed advise. I am looking forward to getting back to the track. Sounds like my POS NAPA replacement throw out bearing is starting to go out again. I may be replacing it soon.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by BMX Dad
Whatever stock is for an M6. I am going to double check since i did replace the rear end several years ago
3.42's. With a 27" tire you should step up to a 4.10, IMO. Stock gears with that size tire don't make for good launching.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

3.42's. With a 27" tire you should step up to a 4.10, IMO. Stock gears with that size tire don't make for good launching.
What about dropping down to a 26" tire?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Stock gears and a 26" bias ply are good
Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Village Troll

Yeah. If want to launch effectively go with a bias ply 26" if you want stock gears. The walls are softer and will absorb more shock from the driveline and your differential may live a little longer.

Quick Reply: First time on 1/8 mile track