LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Check the opti next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check the opti next?

My car developed a couple of problems over time, the two most noticeable were the occasional miss in wet conditions and backfire under load (flooring it in high gear up a steep grade) I attributed the backfire to a leaking collector gasket. Now it takes a noticeably longer amount of time to fire off than it used to. About 3 to 5 seconds. Fuel pressure is dead on (hadn't ran it in a while so I made sure I didn't have leaky injectors) fuel pressure primes to 50 psi idles 43 and is around 48 psi with the vacuum disconnected. Any ideas as to what I should check next for the longer cranking intervals?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a weak or dying icm/coil
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myltwon
Could be a weak or dying icm/coil
Thought that too. It runs great other than a long start up. I'll try and check them tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Running crappy in wet weather could be bad plug wires, arcing when water is present to help the spark find a different path than through the spark plug. That's what mine was when I had the same problems. Specifically the coil wire.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Running crappy in wet weather could be bad plug wires, arcing when water is present to help the spark find a different path than through the spark plug. That's what mine was when I had the same problems. Specifically the coil wire.
Yeah I figure that there are a couple of problems like that. It doesn't run rough every time in the wet; it just most recently, consistently spins over much longer than it used to no matter the condition outside.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

did you pull the coil wire and look inside the boot and Opti for corrosion?

misfire under load is often plug wire arc. can be hard to see in dark so look carefully...even under car while it is running. if you have the heat shields over boot ends the arc can be between it and boot and VERY hard to see
Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Teching In

I just spent four months chasing a problem in my 95 replaced the coil opti plugs fuel filter and 02 got rid of my cat because it clogged still had a shake in 5-6 gear, and at low rpms if you've never done plug wires they were my problem but may not be yours just saying though just because wires look ok doesn't mean they are
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smgseanmicheal
I just spent four months chasing a problem in my 95 replaced the coil opti plugs fuel filter and 02 got rid of my cat because it clogged still had a shake in 5-6 gear, and at low rpms if you've never done plug wires they were my problem but may not be yours just saying though just because wires look ok doesn't mean they are
I'll check them out, I think the backfire was caused by a leaking collector gasket, runs great. It still has to be spun over for about 5 seconds before it starts. It does it every single time, no knock retard, blms are 128, timing advance is around 25 degrees running. I can prime it and it makes no difference, I have an adjustable fuel pressure set dead on spec. It leads me to believe the problem is in the ignition.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Finally got around to checking the coil with a spark tester. It fires as soon as I turn the key. So I guess I'm looking at a bad check ball in the pump. With the key on the pump primes and turns off while spinning over as soon as it hits the pump turns back on and it's running.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Replaced fuel pump with a Walbro 255 that I had. Start up problem is still there. I'll check the pulse on the injectors tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Check the opti next?