LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weak spark, no start 1993 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weak spark, no start 1993 Corvette

Got a 1993 Vette with weak spark and no start. I've checked all wires, good. Checked the opti, it was bad. Replaced it (MSD), still no start. Found ICM circuit open code, I put in the old ICM. Car ran great for about 10 minutes, then quit. ICM circuit open code came back. Got a new AC Delco ICM and coil, with heat compound installed. Still no start. Weak spark. Pulled Opti back out, opened it up to check the rotor, all was good.

So Opti is good. ICM is good. Injectors are pulsing. But still no start. It tries to, but just dies. I've tried to Data log it but can't get tuner pro RT to connect to the pcm, Damn CCM.

I'll need to check actual fuel pressure, the pump is priming and I can smell the fuel when trying to crank it. Maybe a leaking injector? Injectors are new, but the owner put in Accel injectors (this is before he brought me the car).

Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam

I'll need to check actual fuel pressure

Any ideas?
well a FP check with gauge will rule in/out that quickly. Pump can still make a prime sound but be putting out next to no FP

You have gone through what would typically cause this issue....but, if you have not, check the wires that are all together at the coil/head mount on DS. A crack/break in one of those wires will cause a no run condition. Un-tape them and look carefully for any cracks/breaks in a wire.

Long shot but happened to me....the 4 pin connector that goes in opti. Remove it and carefully tug each wire at connector. My brown wire was never crimped when made and caused several sudden no start/run issues until I gave a small tug (read just touched it) and the brown wire just came out.

You will have to find your own needle in the haystack. Good luck
Old 06-27-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the cars history? Low miles? Well taken care of? Stock? If higher miles and modified (especially MSD 6al, coil opti etc...) id check the wiring going to any of those aftermarket ignition components. Maybe the opti harness?? Check the FP first though, look around on Craigslist and pick n pulls for a set of stock injectors to see if that eliminates the problem. Maybe a loose ground, who knows. Like the above post mentioned, you'll find the needle in the haystack eventually. Hope it's sooner than later!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

I've checked all the wires already. The Opti harness is new. All the wires check out good with voltage, continuity, and ground as required. The only exception is the tach signal wire is exposed, but that only signals the tach IIRC on the IP so it should have no effect.

I'll have to get a new fuel pressure gauge as my adapter got lost in my last move. I'll have to find some time to get to a parts store and buy one, lol.

After that it'll be a compression check.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Describe weak spark, is it blue or orange spark..
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Um, it's almost a spark. Barely visible. And you can't hear it at all. On my Camaro it's a loud crack with every spark, very loud and bright (I don't even need to see the color as the intensity of the noise is enough to call it good). With the Vette, you can barely see it and you can't hear it at all.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in the old ICM. Car ran great for about 10 minutes, then quit
it could be ICM again imo but first check the FP
Old 06-28-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Arsalan Yazdani Ford
it could be ICM again imo but first check the FP
The Original ICM did fail too. I now have an AC Delco ICM installed and it's working according to the CCM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the 20amp engine sensor fuse
Old 06-29-2016, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KyleW707
Check the 20amp engine sensor fuse
???

Which one?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a sparkplug directly on the Coil output and see what spark you get (eliminate the Opti from the equation)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Put a sparkplug directly on the Coil output and see what spark you get (eliminate the Opti from the equation)
Did that, it's got the same weak spark.

Alright all, I got me a new fuel pressure gauge from Auto Zone. Hooked it up and primed to 5 psi..... 5. 5 freakin PSI. Not to be without question, I tested the gauge on my Camaro, 45 PSI during prime, holds 38 after prime. So the gauge isn't faulty, the Corvette has 5 PSI of fuel pressure.

So I found the reason for no start. This doesn't explain the weak spark, but MAYBE the spark is weak due to battery only and maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice to crank the motor AND give strong spark at the same time?? I did trickle charge the battery, but I've been doing all the tests on just battery and I didn't check for spark strength until I had tried to get it to start checking everything else I just installed first.

New question. I have my stock fuel pump (just the motor) from my Camaro sitting on the shelf in my garage. Does anyone know if the pump motors are the same between the Vette and F-Bodies??

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hrcslam

New question. I have my stock fuel pump (just the motor) from my Camaro sitting on the shelf in my garage. Does anyone know if the pump motors are the same between the Vette and F-Bodies??

Thanks everyone.
in looking up 93 vette and 95 camaro the AC Delco part # is different on rockauto.com....with that said IDK difference.

Since you have to pull the one from the Vette, compare it to the one you have from Camaro. If same physical size I would think it would work as both have the LT1 motor

and yeah a FP gauge is a must have in the tool box :-)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of the times the parts are the same but have different part numbers just because one is a vette..
Old 06-29-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ******
in looking up 93 vette and 95 camaro the AC Delco part # is different on rockauto.com....with that said IDK difference.

Since you have to pull the one from the Vette, compare it to the one you have from Camaro. If same physical size I would think it would work as both have the LT1 motor

and yeah a FP gauge is a must have in the tool box :-)
Originally Posted by moehorsepower
A lot of the times the parts are the same but have different part numbers just because one is a vette..
Yeah, I'll pull the pump and compare them. These guys run the Walbro 255 right? If so, I'd imagine itd work just fine. Either that or the Vette owner is buying a new pump....
Old 06-29-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah I run the Walbro 255. Put it in at least 10 years ago as a direct replacement of the OEM one in my B-body. I took the old pump out of the whole sending unit and swapped pump only.

assume you could do the same with the Y body.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

To eliminate fuel, grab a can of starter fluid and spray while you crank and see if it runs on starter fluid.

If you have 5.5psi, fuel filter, then pull the tank and look at the pumps. You have to replace it anyways, even dangling the spare in there to fire it will eliminate that.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Don't need to drop the tank on a C4 to pull the fuel pump. Probably one of the easiest pumps I've ever done, seriously. Dear GM, please, for the love of all that's holy, please, I beg you, do ALL your fuel pumps like the C4 Corvette!

It is obvious this car sat around for a while though. Lots of surface rust on the pump sending unit. The sock was black too. Just got to put some fuel in her and give her a test run.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

It runs....... But......

1993 Corvette Burning Oil, Whining
Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This prolly was brought up... check coil?

Quick Reply: Weak spark, no start 1993 Corvette