LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1993 Corvette Burning oil, whining.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1993 Corvette Burning oil, whining.....

Does anyone know what would be the cause of this whine?

I figured it's time for a rebuild with how bad the oil is burning (rings/gaskets/bearings??). But identifying what causes this whine would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Given the smoke from DS...something not happy on bank 1. Probe around motor with a stethoscope to see if you can isolate a cyl.

I suspect a plug read may also reveal what cyl, if not more, are fouled/rich.

compression check

A guess from this side of the internet...broken rings

any metal flakes in oil??
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, this engine is getting rebuilt at this point.

Just wondering if anyone knows what would cause the whining noise. I'm thinking cam bearings? Maybe oil pump (pressure is good).

I really think the smoke is bad rings, the smoke gets worse as rpms go up. So does the whine.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe it's a Hillary Clinton supporter because whiners typically like handouts and Hillary Clinton is going to give lots of handouts, and the car is whining and wanting a handout. Does it have a criminal record? Maybe it is Hillary Clinton...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Maybe it's a Hillary Clinton supporter because whiners typically like handouts and Hillary Clinton is going to give lots of handouts, and the car is whining and wanting a handout. Does it have a criminal record? Maybe it is Hillary Clinton...
Nah, if it broke the law, itd be prosecuted........
Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Nah, if it broke the law, itd be prosecuted........
Yeah, just like John Gotti was.....................
Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why the super high idle? Have you checked into that as well? Given the high idle coupled with the smoke, its possible that the lower intake manifold gasket on the driver's side could have given up the ghost and the car is sucking in oil from the lifter valley. That would account for the idle (massive vac leak) and the smoke (oil). Put a vac gauge on it and see what it says.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by atlantadan
Why the super high idle? Have you checked into that as well? Given the high idle coupled with the smoke, its possible that the lower intake manifold gasket on the driver's side could have given up the ghost and the car is sucking in oil from the lifter valley. That would account for the idle (massive vac leak) and the smoke (oil). Put a vac gauge on it and see what it says.
Good idea. I'll check it out. That too would whine.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, that thing is idling crazy high.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Yeah, that thing is idling crazy high.
The idle keeps increasing as it warms up too. It starts at 1500 rpms and creeps up to 3000.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Definitely check for vacuum leaks.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thanks very much for pointing this out!

I believe almost 100% this is the problem. The Owner just informed me that the P.O had issues with the intake manifold lining up after they did some head work.......

He also has the brake book hose hooked up to the valley PCV line instead of the intake plenum. LOL. Anyway, I asked if his brake were really hard, he said no. Yet another thing that points to an internal vacuum leak from the valley.

So, I started her up and pulled the oil fill cap, see the results below.

I'll be pulling the intake manifold to see what needs to happen to fix this.

What i find weird is that my heads are worked over by LE (P&P, shaved, etc.) and didn't have this issue. Hopefully it's something simple....
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy smokes. I've never seen vacuum like that through the valve cover! Well, here's hoping you're on the way to sorting it out.

If the heads were milled incorrectly, the angle between the intake manifold and the head could be off, and it may never seal using regular gaskets. All hope is not lost, though. You can get thicker intake manifold gaskets from SCE. A .090 thick intake gasket is $26.91 or a .125 thick gasket is $ 34.60.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Holy smokes. I've never seen vacuum like that through the valve cover! Well, here's hoping you're on the way to sorting it out.

If the heads were milled incorrectly, the angle between the intake manifold and the head could be off, and it may never seal using regular gaskets. All hope is not lost, though. You can get thicker intake manifold gaskets from SCE. A .090 thick intake gasket is $26.91 or a .125 thick gasket is $ 34.60.
Thanks for the info. I'll find out once I get the intake manifold off. I'm hoping it's just the mounting bolt holes haven't been pulled to align the intake manifold back up.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

I talked to SCE, they do not make a double thick LT1 Intake Manifold Gasket. But they told me how they make them. They glue two together. I'm not sure if I'll need to do this yet or not, but I'll find out in the next couple of days. Arzona Speed and Marine just finished up milling the intake manifold, I'll be picking it up later today.

Quick Reply: 1993 Corvette Burning oil, whining.....