LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car will crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will crank but won't start

It would usually start when I get a jump. Today I drove it for an extended period kinda pushing it and when I got home I noticed it start to act sluggish I know it had too much oil in it.. Maybe 4 quarts.. So when I tried to put it in reverse (6 speed) it didn't want to stay in reverse I put it into first and when I let the clutch go it inched forward and died out. Some white smoke I didn't hear a big noise. Maybe just a stall noise. So I try to start it but it didn't start I put a jump to it and still didn't start. It turned over but not start... I brought the battery to Autozone for a charge and they said it'll take 5 hours. Could it just be the battery or did I blow a crankshaft????
Old 09-09-2016, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET FROM THE BATTERY TO THE CRANKSHAFT!! Go get a book on the LT1 and then ask WTF YOU you want to know! Sorry for the rant but your question makes no sense...
Old 09-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Are you saying it had 4 quarts more than the 5 quart capacity? From your description you may have more than one problem going on. Is this car stock? If not, what's been done to it?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Well to start this off I was told from a mechanic that if I have too much oil in mybad undocumented my crankshaft so I was worried about that the most knowing new crankshaft means rebuild and also my oil pressure sending unit was completely broken off from the previous owner and before I figured that out the low oil light came on so I went and got 6 quarts and threw it in without thinking of checking the dip stick l. I've only driven it a few miles since then maybe 40 tops and I don't go crazy while I'm driving it neither
Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Are you saying it had 4 quarts more than the 5 quart capacity? From your description you may have more than one problem going on. Is this car stock? If not, what's been done to it?
From what ive been told he upgraded the roller rockers put 4.11's and a performance starter
Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Ballestrasse
so I went and got 6 quarts and threw it in without thinking of checking the dip stick l. I've only driven it a few miles since then maybe 40 tops and I don't go crazy while I'm driving it neither
If it was full to capacity and you added six more quarts, you had enough oil in there to drown a locomotive diesel (not really, but...). Did you drain all the oil out of it? You should have checked your dipstick first. Your cylinders may be saturated with oil and plugs may be fouled out. You may have a parasitic draw draining the battery, or it could just be dead and won't hold a charge.

Quick Reply: Car will crank but won't start