LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

UHaul tow dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default UHaul tow dolly?

Can I put the rear wheels up on a tow dolly, lock the steering wheel and tow a 4th gen for 60 miles in this manner?

I need options, likely it will either be a uhaul full size trailer or the tow dolly, however the car is not running, so I'm kind of cringing, wondering how much effort would be needed to push a 4th gen up onto the drive on uhaul trailer...
Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to. The stinger tow trucks lift the drive wheels off the ground, lock the steering wheel and run the seatbelt through it, and haul away. I would be nervous about taking it above 50 though.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You can, but put something on your side mirrors to protect them from road debris. You may run into the issue of the rear being high enough where the front starts to scrape.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Noted, I'll bring some cloths and tape to protect the mirrors. I think the Uhaul dollys are fairly low, seems the front bumper isn't super pretty on this car anyway, guy just says it has scratches haha.

So on the plus side also, pretty much a flat journey from start to finish. I'll be mindful of my speed.

I know for my car on BMR springs for the drive on uhaul trailer I have these planks I put under the ramps, I can only imagine how ridiculous it would be to push this car up essentially two sets of ramps before it is on the trailer! It's FL, I doubt I'd have even a slight slope to work with.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Its not gonna be easy to push a dead car onto a dolly either. If you are going distance, def either pull it backwards or yank DS. Hope it has a good alignment too, else you gonna be dog legging pretty bad
Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't recommend the tow dolly at all. Pulling it backwords is asking for trouble, if the steering wheel lock lets go it can get ugly fast. With the front wheels up it can dent the oil pan (ask me how I know.....). If you're going to tow it, use a full trailer or a flat bed truck.

Harbor Freight sell hand winches and 12V cigarette lighter powered winches to get it up on the trailer easier. Prices aren't bad, the hand winch is still difficult to get hooked up and lined up correctly and crank, but it'll do it.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're going to have a heck of a time getting the car up on the trailer yourself. It took me and one other person to push one with no engine/trans up onto a U-haul trailer.

I've also successfully used a cheap HF electric winch to pull it up onto a full trailer, which is what I'd recommend.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely spring for the trailer. Depending on how long you need it sunbelt rentals can be cheaper, about 80 bucks for a whole weekend. The tilt trailers there make it easier to load
Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Trailer it is then. I only need it for 70 miles, will be a pick up and drop off in a few hours kind of day.

It's crazy how many car people I know, or individuals who have shops, no one has a car trailer.

Quick Reply: UHaul tow dolly?