LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cutting out

finally get my car to run good with out shutting down on me and now i have another problem. my car will start and idle everytime, as soon as you stab the gas, the car will cut out. if i hold it at WOT, it will completly cut out and die. if i release the throttle before it completly dies, it will idle again. i can also roll it to it a little but the throttle will get to a sertain point and cut again. it will cut on me much faster if i just stab it apposed to rolling it to it. this motor revs extremly fast and also has a complete stand alone accel dfi. this is leading me to think an opti spark vary well could cause this problem. any input would be great.

by the way, this motor also sees 7600 rpm vary often, (opti?)
also started to do it after i raced my friend to
Old 06-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Sound like tunning to me. You need to take some fuel away in the map rate of change vs AE percent. Sounds like the car is loading up. If it was the opti it would do it more offten . Not just at wot. Hope this helps.

V8 ENVY
Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a 95 firehawk that would do the same thing. Would idle fine but under WOT it would sputter and run like crap. IT turned out to be the Accell Ingition i put on. It might also be the opti i would recemond you take it some where and have tehm look at it. Best of luck
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Perhaps the TPS? If it's faulty, it would be giving bad signals to the computer in relation to your throttle resulting in shitty performance. It says in my Chilton manual what the voltage on the thing should be but I don't have it with me or I'd tell you. When my opti went bad, it just would not fire once in a while but nothing like you described. Just my experience.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

tuning is a possibility but why would the car run good off the same tune for over a year and then start to do this after one pass. i do agree that this could be a map issue but i have to wait until i get my labtop back to see what the dfi is seeing. i checked everything else, injectors, other sensors, tps check ok, i still need to check the map and i will have a better idea if the opti is bad once the labtop is on the car. any other information would be great.

by the way, i have an oil leak out of the front cover that has covered the opti?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
tuning is a possibility but why would the car run good off the same tune for over a year and then start to do this after one pass. i do agree that this could be a map issue but i have to wait until i get my labtop back to see what the dfi is seeing. i checked everything else, injectors, other sensors, tps check ok, i still need to check the map and i will have a better idea if the opti is bad once the labtop is on the car. any other information would be great.

by the way, i have an oil leak out of the front cover that has covered the opti?
I agree, why would it act up now? I have oil all over my opti and I'm driving it so probably not that specifically. The whole computer might be bad--the Accel that is. Of course, you'll be checking on that with the laptop. Better go carb.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

gone carb and it is no fun. tuning the car every day was not fun. but i do think i found the problem. i over looked one thing. i check the map sensor again. map signal was at 2.33V with the car off. it only moved to 2.23 with the car running and would basically not move at all when the throttle was touched. i ran out of time so on monday i am going to get a new map in the car. i will post the results. thanks again.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

problem fixed, map senson signal was dead. stayed at the same voltage with the engine running or off. i over look this before. car runs good now and will soon hit the track to see what it will do thanks again .

Quick Reply: car cutting out