LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Has anyone seen a positive displacement blower for an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found his, if I had my car back then I would've snapped that thing up in a heartbeat. I'm honestly considering pulling apart a spare manifold in my garage and looking into making my own intake at this point. If it's doable, that would be a huge step in the right direction for us.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the major problem you will have with a stock manifold is that the injectors angle inward. This limits the width of a SC body you can fit.

You could possibly have the injector holes welded up then have them re-machined vertically?

The billet manifold he made would be quite pricey for the LT1 market...but that's where all the money would be. You could have a manifold made to fit specific Eaton SC's that came on say 03/04 cobras and find those reasonably priced all day long.

If you spent $3000 on the manifold alone (judging by machine work on it I bet it's more than that), then another couple hundred on a used SC plus misc stuff like injectors. That may be feasible.

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-02-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I think the major problem you will have with a stock manifold is that the injectors angle inward. This limits the width of a SC body you can fit.

You could possibly have the injector holes welded up then have them re-machined vertically?

The billet manifold he made would be quite pricey for the LT1 market...but that's where all the money would be. You could have a manifold made to fit specific Eaton SC's that came on say 03/04 cobras and find those reasonably priced all day long.

If you spent $3000 on the manifold alone (judging by machine work on it I bet it's more than that), then another couple hundred on a used SC plus misc stuff like injectors. That may be feasible.
Yeah, I'm thinking about following in the footsteps of T/A kid and using the factory style manifold. It came on a block I bought before, worst case scenario I free up some space in my garage
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Before you go cutting, simply investigate the SC you plan to use and how wide and tall the body of it is. Next will be snout length.

There are simple/key parameters you need to figure out before doing any cutting.

For the DIY'er without CNC capabilities, one COULD make a manifold out of aluminum plates and round spacers properly welded and placed. I have a manifold 80% designed in my head using a M112 unit. Next step would be to take measurements off the spare intake/heads/shortblock I have in the garage. If you look close at that guys initial red intake, it's fully fabbed up. Measurements like head to valley angle, intake/exhast port layout (injector layout should simply be in a runner) and manifold bolt hole spacing.

Couple hundred dollars in 1/4" aluminum flat plate cut to size, another couple hundred for someone to weld it properly then $400-500 in a used SC??
Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Get someone to 3d scan the bottom of a stock manifold and then use a 3d printer to make a plug.. if your ok with a hood cut, use solid works to stretch the manifold up a inch or two and put the injectors under the blower in a side shot.. Would also help the mechanics of clearing the water pump..
Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I can figure out how to post a video I can of mine running!!

have a ton of pics I can add too...

I like to make things people (whipple) who say it can’t be done...

Had Bell intercoolers make me a custom intercooler brick and had it fit under the stock cowl with a 2.9 whipple...

sold it at the time to fund my new car at the time.. wish I would have kept it

if I make another one one day I would do a whipple still and make it a better design
Old 10-04-2017, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Get someone to 3d scan the bottom of a stock manifold and then use a 3d printer to make a plug.. if your ok with a hood cut, use solid works to stretch the manifold up a inch or two and put the injectors under the blower in a side shot.. Would also help the mechanics of clearing the water pump..
Yes, but 80% of people don't have access to any or all of those resources...3D scanner, Solidworks and 3D printer. IF you dont, you would be paying a decent in engineering time to get you a proper working model.

I use SW on a daily basis and run a 3d printer at work. Printing a manifold will not be cheap simply due to it's size. BUT even before printing you need someone to accurately layout a manifold dimensions then create a proper model to print it...

Obviously people got by before the world of solid modeling programs etc, but any of your CNC mills or 3D printers require a model first. Like I said, for the true DIY backyard guy, some flat plate/cutting tools/welder could get you a long way.

Originally Posted by T/A KID
If I can figure out how to post a video I can of mine running!!

have a ton of pics I can add too...

I like to make things people (whipple) who say it can’t be done...

Had Bell intercoolers make me a custom intercooler brick and had it fit under the stock cowl with a 2.9 whipple...

sold it at the time to fund my new car at the time.. wish I would have kept it

if I make another one one day I would do a whipple still and make it a better design
The more pictures the better. Offer up new ideas on how to make it.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There was an article in Pontiac High Performance, GM built a 4.3 LT1 with a Roots blower in a 93 Formula. It was a test mule used to look at the idea. That car met the crusher long ago like many GM test mules did.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
There was more than one trying to do a roots style, but they all vanished.
A couple folks from back on CZ28 used Eaton units, Alvin Anderson had one for a while.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

I can model the unit if someone game me a dimensional analysis of it. Our hand held scanners would make quick work of it as well but that would have to be billed out.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

What if we got a group fund started to get a manifold produced? I would be able to donate a factory manifold for the base to be modeled from, along with a few hundred dollars in for the first unit.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Reviving this up because I've got a new idea. Does anyone know what exactly Magnuson did to fit the 2300 under the cowl on the LS cars?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

It doesn't really sit under the cowl. It is slightly forward of the cowl. You can also lower the K member to gain a little more clearance.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-19-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95sscamaro
this was a custom setup someone did years ago, don't know if it ever got finished.

This looks better than a nude blonde on the beach 🤩😍
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Don't get too happy about that one...what you see there is many hours in Solidworks along with a one off custom machined billet lower manifold AND custom made CF elbow...

His first version was more of a DIY home brew setup, but still not on a level to be mass produced and sold. The eaton SC sount was removed and machined shorter...there was a custom adapter plate welded to the back to adapt a stock TB...

His two versions are what makes me keep plugging away at the idea because I know it's able to be done.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Don't get too happy about that one...what you see there is many hours in Solidworks along with a one off custom machined billet lower manifold AND custom made CF elbow...

His first version was more of a DIY home brew setup, but still not on a level to be mass produced and sold. The eaton SC sount was removed and machined shorter...there was a custom adapter plate welded to the back to adapt a stock TB...

His two versions are what makes me keep plugging away at the idea because I know it's able to be done.
I remember when this first came up. That second prototype looked promising and glad to see someone is still working to get it done. Good luck following your posts
Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure I will complete this since I need to look long term goal of my car. I autocross and want to get into road race, so a roots blower may not be most efficient method (due to heat) compared to a stout HCI setup.

I'm at the point where I have laid out a LT1 intake gasket and need to build up my spare LT1 to check the angles/relationship between heads/intake. Also factor in stock cowl/firewall/hood clearances to be able to package this.

Once a mockup is done one can source the appropriate SC, and start fabricating the lower intake keeping in mind head bolt angles/injector location and angle and all fittings needed for MAP/IAT/all vacuum ports etc.

Like I said, his first version is more "wing it" with some machining and custom fabrication as you go. The second version was A LOT more CAD work and machine work which would be more of a "bolt together" kit version.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

They just put in so much heat, and turbo has gotten so cheap and easy its 2017...

efficiency aside the novelty is still in effect for engines which can't handle the output of a turbo configuration I suppose

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen a positive displacement blower for an LT1?