LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking to quiet down my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Default Looking to quiet down my exhaust...

Right now the car has an ORY into SLP 2OTL with a cutout that only gets taken off if I go to the track. I would like to keep the ORY and cutout so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with bullet mufflers of any kind?
Restrictive? How do they sound?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good success with classic chambered exhaust - powerstick. Have a 25" on one car and 31" on another. All 3" in the center, 3.5" total round. Model 3026SB and 3030SB. Sound is unique with the LT1, that's for sure. Both cars have no cats. The shorter 25" one I have on a H/C car, the 31" is on a stock auto with just headers.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

why not put the stock muffler back on? although I have a 2001, I'm running LTs, no cats, stock resonator, with a e-cutout and stock muffler. with the cut-out closed, its still rather quiet at idle and cruise.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Village Troll

Thanks for the replies. Now that I think about it, I have very limited space on the Y-pipe because it's pretty close to the drive shaft. Not sure even a bullet will work.
Originally Posted by fst100
why not put the stock muffler back on?
SLP 2OTL is the stock muffler. It is manageable at idle and cruising speeds, but because of the way it's geared it gets up in the RPM band pretty quickly. Besides that I'm old, the original owner and the car had an ORY thrown on two years after it was bought new.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I had a dynomax bullet and it was too tame sounding, but I have a turbo muffler, so not a apples apples.

Its been a while, but IIRC, the loudmouths stashed a "muffler" in the tunnel, can you recreate a borlamouth?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have headers, ory, and no cats. Just buy a Magnaflow catback. Nice mild idle but when you hit mid rpms its throaty, then high rpm it screams. No popping or rasp at all. Just mild and mean sounding. And its a straight through muffler so there is no flow restriction.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I love the sound of a magnaflow 18” bullet, but it’s loud. My plan is to extend the 18” bullet all the way out the back, see if that helps, or leave the bullet in the I pipe of another cat back to make it really quiet. The tone is awesome right now, but it wakes the neighborhood.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian,
I've been down this road with many cars and have had the most success with the SLP dual/dual. It flows extremely well and is quiet. In fact, the only catback exhausts I use on my cars is either the 2OTL (my favorite) or the dual/dual (better sound control).

Maybe try that first. If you don't like it, remove and sell it for what you paid for it. I've also experimented with welding a bullet muffler in the intermediate pipe and that has helped; however, I'd still try the dual/dual first.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Quiet exhaust down. Gay.

I second a vibrant resonator. Used a couple of short ones to dramatically quiet down my big block suburban, no cats obv and two chamber flowmasturbators.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Its been a while, but IIRC, the loudmouths stashed a "muffler" in the tunnel, can you recreate a borlamouth?
The way the I-pipe is I don't think there's room and because the car is lowered it makes it even more challenging. Didn't think of that until after I posted this, so may just deal with it. I do have a 2 1/2" dia. dual cat Y-pipe I can throw on there and choke the **** out of it and see how long it takes to clog the cats.

Originally Posted by JasonShort
Maybe try that first. If you don't like it, remove and sell it for what you paid for it. I've also experimented with welding a bullet muffler in the intermediate pipe and that has helped; however, I'd still try the dual/dual first.
Eh, I like the 2OTL look too much to change out the muffler. I think I'm just going to have to deal.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

I don't disagree one bit on the 2OTL. By far my favorite as well.

Either cats or a bullet in the I-pipe. That's about your only options at this point. Cats will quiet it down noticeably and are quite low-profile these days. All my cars are lowered as well and I've survived with them. The right cats won't net you much power loss either. My 620rwhp NA Z06 only suffered a 6rwhp loss by adding cats.

A 3" bullet in the I-pipe is the cheapest option; however, you'll need to "massage" the floorboard to allow for retaining ground clearance on a lowered car. I once had a 4" bullet (5" O.D.) in the I-pipe of my car (lowered with Hooker LT's) and it survived. But, I did scrape it a few times
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I almost bought a new 2OTL off ebay when I was working on my exhaust, but ended up going with a GMMG. It's too bad they don't make those exhausts anymore. Those were my two favorite catbacks based upon numerous sound clips.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by JasonShort
Either cats or a bullet in the I-pipe. That's about your only options at this point. Cats will quiet it down noticeably and are quite low-profile these days. All my cars are lowered as well and I've survived with them. The right cats won't net you much power loss either. My 620rwhp NA Z06 only suffered a 6rwhp loss by adding cats.
... and there's good room between the header and merge for catalytic converters. That may not only cure the loud issue, but also the "smells" issue as well!
So you're saying to look into cats for a Z06? Are they higher flowing than those off a regular Vette? What diameter are they?

Thanks buddy.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The OD on a magnaflow 18” bullet is only 4” on a 3” by 18” bullet, mine fits perfect off the Y pipe and my car is on BMR springs and never scrapes.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
... and there's good room between the header and merge for catalytic converters. That may not only cure the loud issue, but also the "smells" issue as well!
So you're saying to look into cats for a Z06? Are they higher flowing than those off a regular Vette? What diameter are they?

Thanks buddy.
I agree completely with Jason Short, now a days you obviously pay for quality and with quality comes minimal power loss and longer lifespan. Personally, I'd just look into a Magnaflow or Kooks universal you can weld in (I don't think he was meaning Z06 cats specifically), or since you'll have everything off anyways look into a replacement Y-pipe you can modify to work with your exsisting header/exhaust.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR

Thanks buddy.
Brian,
The cats I have on my Z06 are the ones that come with the American Racing headers. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I'll search around. As tbird31 mentioned, you can use any universal (quality) cat such as Magnaflow. They are very low-profile these days.

A cat on each side of the Y-pipe will quiet down the car noticeably. It certainly won't make it sound like a Honda (which none of us want!), but it will take the edge off significantly.

Plus, you won't smell
Old 01-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Village Troll

Thanks again for the replies. That'd be great if you could get the name of them, Jason.
Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
The OD on a magnaflow 18” bullet is only 4” on a 3” by 18” bullet, mine fits perfect off the Y pipe and my car is on BMR springs and never scrapes.
I'm using a chassis mount torque arm, where the y-pipe goes through a cross brace so it hugs the underside pretty tight. I'll have to crawl under the car and see if it's possible.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In for the results.. I’m on the same quest for quetiness..
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll also agree that a cat won't make any noticable difference to your power output. I haven't done any dyno runs without the cat, but in discussions with my tuner he said you're only talking 2-3 whp difference in general. I put down 360 whp with a single high flow cat after the Y, and I have no worries that it's restrictive at all.

It doesn't need to be a special one, just any decent quality high flow.

Quick Reply: Looking to quiet down my exhaust...