LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best reader writertool

Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best reader writertool

Looking for the best all around Tool for reading OBD II codes and writing Ecm programer
Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

95 Z28 Lt1/4L60E green vert
no codes as of yet
would like to do mild tune to intake/Exhaust
I smell hot oil so after lurking here (LS1TECH) for awhile I suspect it rear intake manifold
and the mileage dictates an Omnispark /Water pump will be due
I own several cars that have OBD II ECM..... GM/CHRY/TOY/ been getting by on a dummy OBD II reader
would like to know what the go to Reader /Writer at the very minimum a real time data/graph reader
also any feedback on a Omnispark for my camaro.
thanks .....Gm
Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In recent threads I have seen recommendations for Jet DST and Tunercats. I have no experience with either. I have had several PCMs sent out for mail order tunes though. I would only recommend that if you have some modifications that will benefit from a tune. A lot of guys want to have their fan temps lowered in the process.

As far as the optispark goes, get yourself a new GM/delphi unit. You could also get a MSD brand if you want. With either unit, I recommend picking up an E4 socket and gently removing the cap and then remove and reinstall the rotor screws with a little thread locker added. That is good insurance to prevent the rotor from detaching and leaving you stranded. Use new water pump gaskets in the process of changing your water pump while you are at it. Use a razor or scrapper to ensure that the mating surfaces are completely flat and clean. Check all of your radiator hoses and heater hoses while you are at it. Bleed the car thoroughly when you are all done.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback i read the chinese Tech 2 for GM but a dabble in a lot of Japan/Korean/Mexican(Chrysler) makes
and would Like to be able to see real time data For O2 info and such
also Thanks for your recom on brand of omni-spark.......Gm
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a 1995, are you sure you're OBD2 and not OBD1? Both of my 95's are OBD1.

If you have a 1995 with OBD1, get this cable and then download $eehack and TunerPro. Both are free and you can do anything you want with the PCM from that point on.

I tried the cheaper cables and fried a couple PCM's in the process. That cable above has worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by atlantadan
If you have a 1995, are you sure you're OBD2 and not OBD1? Both of my 95's are OBD1.

If you have a 1995 with OBD1, get this cable and then download $eehack and TunerPro. Both are free and you can do anything you want with the PCM from that point on.

I tried the cheaper cables and fried a couple PCM's in the process. That cable above has worked perfectly for me.
Another good point thanks Your probably right
I have other vehicles that need a Reader right now and they are OBDII
seem the guys on here seem like they Wrench tune More then other Forums That i would ask what the Latest greatest for readers
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Since he has a 16 pin DLC, he will need to make sure he buys a 16 pin model. And, yes, 1995s are OBD-I.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

looks like i have more reading to do ...thanks....
.....Gm
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on $eehack and TunerPro I downloaded them and used them to setup the ecm in the rectro-fit engine I put in my landcruiser. Free, easy to use and tons of information and support on the net. I initially made my own ALDL cable from diagrams off google and found I couldn't get the 1 transistor version to work but the 2 transistor worked fine, cost about 5 bucks to make the cable to make sure I could get all the sofeware to talk to my ecm before I committed to ordering a proper cable from OBD Diagnostics Inc
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$eehack is a great tool but did not work for me ended up bricking 2 pcms until I figured out it was the software

I now use WINflash for loading tunes and have had no issues since

Last edited by myltwon; 02-05-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

$eehack, Tuner pro and freescan worked good for me for data logging and code reading
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

freescan with a Bluetooth dongle.?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Freescan9495 I believe is the full name
Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
Freescan9495 I believe is the full name
I know there is free software called Scan9495, but I believe it's just a reader for OBDI cars. I've been using it and it seems to work very well.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
$eehack is a great tool but did not work for me ended up bricking 2 pcms until I figured out it was the software

I now use WINflash for loading tunes and have had no issues since
I initially thought it was $eehack bricking my PCM's. I fried two using it to flash, then switched to WinFlash. That worked ok for a while until it also bricked one. Turned out it was the cable. Got the cable I pointed out above and have been rock solid ever since - in both programs. YMMV
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

I initially thought it was $eehack bricking my PCM's. I fried two using it to flash, then switched to WinFlash. That worked ok for a while until it also bricked one. Turned out it was the cable. Got the cable I pointed out above and have been rock solid ever since - in both programs. YMMV
I had it brick 2 different pcms back to back and have flashed multiple times with Winflash now with no issue. Maybe my cable is suspect but everything else has been flawless since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best reader writertool