LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Out the top or bottom

Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out the top or bottom

The guy gave her the name hatercreator so i think i will call this project hatercreator. The name suits these cars so well.

I just got a trans am always been my dream car but around here they must be made with golden parts because the people that have them won't part with them or still want your first born for it. But anyways. ....

SO the cake is sliced let's dig in.... i traded a 2005 yamagata r6 for this car it looks good but I can tell my bird needs a little love. Her tops leak her drivers side power window motor doesn't work and she has torn seats and the common cracked dash but hey she's my dream car I've wanted one ever since they hit the road these cars ruled the road I wanted a 98+ love the front ends but I have also read I can give her a facelift to make her what I want. 1995 in North Carolina equals no emission inspections safety only. So I tried to crank it about three times hard lug and nothing let's stick a bar on the crank and see if it will turn over nope she's locked down. So now I'm in the process of finding her another heart I know I should go ls NOW! But the funds are a little tight ib just want to get her running as cheap as possible any suggestions would be appreciated I have been a mechanic for 10 years I hate to change the motor but if that's what it takes then so be it. I'm going to build my dream out of this old bird she will live again.
1995 Pontiac trans am lt1 with 6 speed I've read that the ls1 engines are happy coming out the top or the bottom what about the lt1 engine can I yank the intake and accessories off the front and pull the headers and treat it like an ls1 to bring it up and out the top. I'm having to do this outside with very limited time yes I know it's gonna be a pain in the butt. My only curiosity now is what happened to her did she run hot, blow a head gasket and hydrolock or did she spin a bearing or etc? I guess I will have to tear into the motor to learn her fate.

thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Last edited by Daves03; 02-17-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the means to lift the body up off the subframe do it. It is so much easier to r&r going out the bottom. There is a very good write up on ls1tech with step by step for going out the bottom.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I've done it both ways, out the bottom is easier, especially with the 6 speed.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

i just figure out the bottom is going to be crazy especially doing it in my yard
Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves03
i just figure out the bottom is going to be crazy especially doing it in my yard
I did it in my garage with jack stands. Yard would make it a little trickier. If you decide to take it out the top, it's best to pull the transmission entirely.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

thanks jc316 ive been watching a couple of videos i think thats the best idea is to build a good sturdy engine/trans dolly and drop it out the bottom with the cradle so far the videos and all i have looked at and watched seems like a pretty easy process just the work to put it back im sure it comes out a lot easier than it wants to go back, now to find a new heart for my bird i seen where a guy locally had 3 of them for 250 each i should have jumped on them i cant find the post again now but that was also before i found the motor was toast but i figure at all the transmission is probably worth more than the car always wanted me a 6 speed.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked this same question when I did my LS build swap, and most suggested to go from the bottom. Turned out very easy. I did it in my garage with a few friends. With that said, I will suggest from the bottom as well. GL
Old 02-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

thanks bolo i figured these engines came out the old fashioned way but the more i think about it, that would make sense to drop them out the bottom. then i dont have to fight with the trans bolts.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Get yourself a 6x8 sheet of plywood or particle board, jackstands, hoist and go to town. I have always removed the engine from the bottom using two quality floor jacks, 3 or 4 2x4 blocks on the floorjack pads and raising the body off the k-member just behind the plastic pads on the body while resting the k-member on a furniture dolly. This way you can keep the rear tires on the car and do not have to raise them to the moon.
Out the top or bottom-rrayfq8.jpg
The above pic the body has been lowered a bit after the engine cleared. Rear tires are still mounted on the car and sitting on the floor.

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

nice ss rrr thanks for the info i believe i have decided im going after it from the bottom im just anxious now to find a suitable heart to go in it, i want to get it up and running as easily and quickly as possible but dont want to spend a fortune on it right now. shes a good looking bird but i just want to be able to drive it and enjoy it a little bit before i start building some power into it i had a 1991 third gen camaro with the 305 auto in it and i thought the world of that car but it got totaled. I thought it was fast........ i can only imagine a 350 in a lighter car with a 6 speed so it will get old but it will be fast for a little bit.

Search this Thread