LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How many hours should a shop be billing for heads and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many hours should a shop be billing for heads and cam?

Hey guys! After a long hiatus, I'm back to ask stupid questions. I have finally assembled all of the parts I'll need to swap the heads on my car, but now I don't have any time between school and work to do it myself. I called a shop a few days ago, and I'm getting the feeling that they're trying to take me for a ride. They're telling me it's going to take about 35 hours to install the heads and a cam.

I mentioned an intake(stock replacement, just ported) and they said it will take four additional hours for that to happen. I'm not sure how I feel about that, since they're already gonna have to bolt it back on to reassemble the top end anyway.

Am I being taken for a ride? Should I just bite the bullet and take a weekend off work and do it myself? Or should I give up and sell all the parts and be done with cars altogether?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah there trying to super screw you!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run away. 35 hours for a head and cam swap is rediculous especially for a "shop". It's really a weekend job if you have the tools and a good write-up. Also need to make a check list of everything you need. I do understand the time thing though but I would look at other reputable shops and get more quotes before handing over that kind of money on a relatively simple job.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Idk where you're at in pa but i have a little shopi do this kinda work out of. If you're interested hit me up.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that was my thought process. About a year ago I took the whole engine bay apart to do some major maintenance and I had probably 11-12 hours into removing everything and reassembling it, with a good 3 of those drunk and 2 more beat after 12 hour days.

I figure if I could do a clutch, headers, and a bunch of sensors without a lift or experience that quickly there's no way a shop should be taking that long
Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've already done all of that other stuff, you can do the heads and cam. I am doing heads and cam right now. I am about a week and a half into it, but doing a an hour here and there and doing a bunch of other things while I have the engine apart... (sent my heads out for port and polish, doing engine mounts, and gathering other parts)

You'll have more pride knowing you built the car yourself. LS1howto has a nice guide to go by for doing the job.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

I didn't know they had LT1 stuff on there, I never thought to look. I'll have to check it out one day this weekend
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not specific to LT1 more that you can apply alot of the LS1 knowledge to the LT1
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Intake removal is 30 minutes if you take your time. Installation, including surface prep, is max 1 hour. Don't remove the rails, injectors, or EGR from the intake, just pull it out as one connected piece. For some reason, people like to remove all that before removing the intake and i've yet to understand why.

Heads and cam install is a weekend for first timers taking their time, but once you've done it before it can be done in a long day. Make sure you cover your opti when doing the cam install.

This is with the use of power tools for disassembly.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Don't let a shop do this. Especially that one. They were trying to charge their way out of it. Do it yourself. Be patient and wait until you have time. You are only adding a monkey wrench into the project if you have someone else do the work.

Originally Posted by Gangly
Don't remove the rails, injectors, or EGR from the intake, just pull it out as one connected piece. For some reason, people like to remove all that before removing the intake and i've yet to understand why.
Much easier access to the manifold bolts with the rails removed. It takes five minutes to remove them, so NBD.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Don't let a shop do this. Especially that one. They were trying to charge their way out of it. Do it yourself. Be patient and wait until you have time. You are only adding a monkey wrench into the project if you have someone else do the work.

Much easier access to the manifold bolts with the rails removed. It takes five minutes to remove them, so NBD.
Gotcha, makes sense.