LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2pc Seal Main Adaptor Removal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2pc Seal Main Adaptor Removal Problem

So when this motor was built, they used a Lunati crank that I guess only came in a 2pc rear main seal version. As I'm at the final parts of tearing down the motor, I cannot get the cap off so I can remove the crank and rear seal. I know RTV was put all across the entire length of the split as I wiped the excess off with my finger. I'm guessing this is too much.

I've tried banging away with my rubber hammer, and even a little prying which you can see already left marks on the stud soft aluminum. I'm really at a loss here on how to separate this top cap without damaging it or the crank. I really need help here...
Old 03-05-2018, 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you have the crank unbolted try lifting the crankshaft or prying that end of the crankshaft up to dislodge it.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
If you have the crank unbolted try lifting the crankshaft or prying that end of the crankshaft up to dislodge it.
I do have it unbolted. I was worried about using the crank to put pressure on that.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:40 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

My thinking is you're going to put pressure over a wider area of the aluminum to get it to separate, Rather than just a corner. Looks like you could put a pry bar in the crankshaft flange and the engine stand to gently put pressure on it. It shouldn't take much pressure.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Tap the side of that housing with a rubber mallet.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
My thinking is you're going to put pressure over a wider area of the aluminum to get it to separate, Rather than just a corner. Looks like you could put a pry bar in the crankshaft flange and the engine stand to gently put pressure on it. It shouldn't take much pressure.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking to try, but I wasn't sure if that surface was sensitive to balancing. Maybe I'll have to say "f" it and just do it.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Tap the side of that housing with a rubber mallet.
I've been trying that...a lot. Whacking the **** out of that it hadn't budged at all...
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Your not going to harm the crankshaft easily, It would take a hell of a lot of force to damage a crank by prying on the end of it, More than you would be able to apply with a small pry bar.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
I've been trying that...a lot. Whacking the **** out of that it hadn't budged at all...
Sharpen a small pry bar and put it on the edge of the seam and tap it using a regular hammer.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Sharpen a small pry bar and put it on the edge of the seam and tap it using a regular hammer.
This bitch isn't coming off. It looks like there's only an alignment dowel on one side, so I'm going to just unbolt it and lift the crank up while rotating it. I'll let the machine shop pop it off. I'll update when I get it there and checked out. Thanks all for chiming in!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Rubber won't do ****. Get a brass hammer.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the picture I see a button head bolt in the back of the housing seal did you remove those?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
In the picture I see a button head bolt in the back of the housing seal did you remove those?
A brass hammer would damage the crap out of it as it's made of aluminum.

Those button head bolts are on the lower portion. I need to pop off the top of the cap to remove it. They should separate but I think they put so much rtv on it it just won't dislodge
​​​​
Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Have you tried adding some heat to it?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Its been a long time but I thought you had to unbolt top and bottom to release the two pieces,, The seal itself will glue the halves together.. I recall helping pop one off and I remember swearing a lot but don't remember what the trick was, It may have been pure brute force..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Its been a long time but I thought you had to unbolt top and bottom to release the two pieces,, The seal itself will glue the halves together.. I recall helping pop one off and I remember swearing a lot but don't remember what the trick was, It may have been pure brute force..
Oh yeah, the two bolts the are vertical that join the top and the bottom are removed.

Haha, at least I'm not alone then! I wish these were cheaper so I didn't care about ruining it .
Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

But isn't there a bolt on each side of the top or block side from the rear into the block?

Best I can remember the one I helped on had 4 bolts, 2 held the collar together and 2 held the collar to the block...

They say memory is the first thing to go.. LOL
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Launching!

But isn't there a bolt on each side of the top or block side from the rear into the block?

Best I can remember the one I helped on had 4 bolts, 2 held the collar together and 2 held the collar to the block...

They say memory is the first thing to go.. LOL
I'll try looking again, but those 4 bolts all seemed to attach the bottom to the block...
Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Wait a second,, check real careful that there are not 2 dowel pins at 4 and 6 o'clock with the block sitting head side down.. You may not be able to see them from the external side.. Dental mirror might do it,,
Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Wait a second,, check real careful that there are not 2 dowel pins at 4 and 6 o'clock with the block sitting head side down.. You may not be able to see them from the external side.. Dental mirror might do it,,
So now I feel real dumb...I found two additional vertical button head bolts that are exposed in the top (heads side). I didn't see these since the engine is on the stand and crank-side up. Man, this would be a nightmare to change with the motor in the car as those would be damn hard to get to.

Although this isn't the first dumb thread I've started, thank you very much for the replies. Without them, especially PDX's, I would have stayed frustrated.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

It happens lol, I just spent a week trying to fire an engine on the run stand only to find out I had replaced one bad crank sensor with second bad sensor.
I was pulling my hair out, I checked all the wires and even pulled the Holley Dominator out of my truck (about 2 hours to get it out) and tried it and still no go. In the end I tried yet another sensor and it fired right up.