LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car overheating, replaced most. Maybe fans or short -1995 z28 Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Well, they aren't right about a rear hatch motor, 'cause there isn't one (just a release solenoid). Maybe just a confusion in terminology.
Well I know there is hydrolic (SP?) lifters that lift the hatch open, they said theres a motor that helps it close and they just unplugged it(as I dont need it) and said I can still just close the trunk manually. So your saying they probably are talking about the release that pops the truck from the inside the glovebox? So that now Ill have to use my key manually to open truck. Also noticed your name, I use Shbox for everything.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Garrett Fleming

So your saying they probably are talking about the release that pops the truck from the inside the glovebox? So that now Ill have to use my key manually to open truck.
well you could just push your trunk button to see if the electronic release works...if the shop disconnected the trunk release mechanism then yes you would then need to use your trunk key to open it.

the trunk has a solenoid activated release (electrical) which may have been shorted maintaining a constant draw....although I would think your trunk would pop open continually.

I don't have a F-body but am not aware a "automatic trunk close" feature was offered. Shbox would know. The trunk lid may be assisted "open" with a pressurized strut that is not activated by anything external.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Well, they aren't right about a rear hatch motor, 'cause there isn't one (just a release solenoid). Maybe just a confusion in terminology.
I thought it was a solenoid too, but my 96 GM manual lists it as a motor. But OP, all it does is release the latch. The only thing that might pop it open is the gas shocks.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The parts book and manual I have lists it as an actuator and all it does is release (opens) the lock. There is no closing assist.