LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY

This how-to is specific to the b-body cars. It may work on the FireChicken and Camaro, I do not know.

Here are the covers:

They're cast aluminum, and very nice pieces. They're also expensive.

The upshot is that they are taller, so rollers have no issues. Nor does the heater hoses and trans dipstick tube. They are also baffled, which is nice and will keep a good amount of oil out of your intake. The alternator does NOT CLEAR. Fear not, though. This is how you get everything to work. Now, I ran some slightly thicker CORK Mr. Gasket valve cover gaskets. You may not have to go as far into the case as I did if you use the rubber FelPro VCG's.

Required:
- Dremel
- Cutting wheel
- 5/16 socket and ratchet
- 10 minutes

First, remove the 4 bolts that hold the alternator case together. Then, looking at the back of the alternator, rotate it 45 degrees clockwise. Run the bolts back in and tighten.

No, it still won't clear, but this step is 100% necessary. It moves the positive battery terminal away from the cover. Without doing this, you won't clear the terminal.

It should be stated that everything from this point on will totally and completely void your warranty.

Time to break out the Dremel. What you are going to cut off is the empty screw-hole and boss in the back of the case. In this image, it is the empty hole on the center/left.
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-qlkedbll.jpg
First, mask everything to keep the potmetal dust from getting inside the alternator. Grab your safety glasses, and your Dremel and cut it. I first cut the screw boss directly down the center to the desired depth, and then came in from the side. This was because the cutting wheel is not wide enough to cut all the way through in one swipe.

Cut to a depth that is equal to the cast-in support ridge to the left of the hole. Following the slight factory-cut of the center hub housing, carry this downwards to the correct depth, and then cut inwards through the screw boss. The other cut into the center hub housing is where I tried to fit it without clocking the case. It didn't work. Anyway, once you're done, this is an image of what you should be looking at:
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-akzenmyl.jpg

Lastly, you're going to buzz-off the end of a screw that's poking through the case. This dude that the zip tie is pointing at:
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-zr91inwl.jpg
Just zip that thing off flush with the case.

When you are done, this is the clearance you're going to have:
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-luyyozzl.jpg

Ta-da! Yes, I know my headers are in need of a re-coat.
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-2tcflcwl.jpg
Old 04-07-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Cool fabrifornication on the alt Dan

VC look good

I would suggest you fab up a rear alt brace going from lower PS alt bolt to #4 header bolt (will need a longer header bolt). You may be able to "alter" the stock one. You have both rear braces missing now (the threaded hole you ground down was where the short one went). People have, and I have seen, accessory bracket crack/break, especially on built motors not running one or both rear braces.

Pic of my rear brace. Since I still have the stock VC I also use the 2nd short one also
Attached Thumbnails B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-alt-bracket-4.jpg   B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-alt-bracket-1.jpg  
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly, those brackets have never been on this car. They were not there when I got it, so I've never known anything was missing. I will fab something up. Thanks for the head's up.

End of day 1.
B-body: Proform 141-845 valve cover - DIY-nrwu5nnl.jpg
Tomorrow I'll turn the key. Until then, I keep calling it Schrodinger's Engine.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great writeup as these are the same valve covers I want to run on my new build and I was trying to figure out how i could make them fit with the alternator.
But now problem solved, thanks!!!!!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by atlantadan
Honestly, those brackets have never been on this car. They were not there when I got it, so I've never known anything was missing. I will fab something up. Thanks for the head's up.

End of day 1.

Tomorrow I'll turn the key. Until then, I keep calling it Schrodinger's Engine.
stock motors not so much of a problem....although GM would not spend $.02 on something they felt they could do without so they installed them. Built motors making more power than stock have on some caused them to break/crack. Way more likely on a SC motor.

The stock one that goes to the #4 header bolt "may" be able to modify to work with headers. Just "cut" the header end from a eye hole to slot maybe. Whatever, it is not rocket science so fabing something up should not be hard especially if you have a welder
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice setup!! I haven’t used that rear alternator bracket in years.. No problems here..