LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning

Ok so as many of you know i am having to pull the engine out of my 95 T/A and i will be going with a rebuild i dont get the idea of paying 850 dollars for a junkyard engine with 100k miles on it that someone has probably beat the crap out of, at least with a rebuild i will get a lot of new parts a new oil pump, new cam, new lifters, new roller rockers, my heads are new and i will have some downtime to clean some other pieces and paint a couple parts.

So what i want to know now is..... after installing the 383 kit that i plan on going with and installing the cam and putting my puzzle back together i know this car is going to have to be retuned because it will not know how to act running a completely different crank/rods/pistons/ and cam so would one of the master gurus on here help get me on the right track to buying the hardware to get this car tuned im trying to have everything here and ready for when it goes back together so that im not waiting and ordering more stuff when i could be enjoying the car.

Im looking for the cheapest way to get the car tuned i can say for a 1995 T/A it does have the obd2 connector but is still on the OBD1 system i dont want to pull the computer and send it out to have it tuned and pay and then change something and have to send it out again and repeat and repeat i would rather have the ability to tune it at home with the changes. Thanks members.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Teching In

http://www.tunercat.com/
Old 04-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the quick reply ckpLT so do i just need the 16 pin lt1 tune 2 kit for the obd 1 obd2(style) connector i have?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Teching In

No probs. I just happened to be perusing the forum.

Yes, that's what you need.

I have a 95 Corvette. I got the software and cable over a decade ago.
Here's what I have.
1.TunerCats (C.A.T.S.) software.
2. $EE file for my vehicle
3. 16 pin DLC adapter with serial interface for laptop. There was no reliable USB interface at the time. I don't even see a serial interface on Moates.net where I purchased mine. I trust the serial connector.
4.A laptop with WinXP and a serial port.
5. Some kind of logging software such as Datamaster if you are going to tune it yourself.

Now that I think of it, there is free software out there
This looked pretty nice
http://fbodytech.com/eehack-2/
but was kind of glitchy with my car. I think it's because of my CCM which you do not have in your car. People seem to like it.

Here is a link custom made for your question.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-lt1-M6-tuning

You can always email TunerCats and ask them exactly what you need and buy it.

Another good site for info or a tune.

http://lt1pcmtuning.com/

No matter which route you go, you are going to need a 16 pin DLC cable and a PC if you are going to do anything yourself.

Good luck. I can't tune worth a darn and no LT1 dynotuners anywhere. I haven't talked to Solomon @ http://lt1pcmtuning.com/ in a while, but he did a good mail order on my old motor.

Last edited by ckpLT; 04-08-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: never answered the question
Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moe Bailey tunes LT1s & also tunes Tony Shepherds LT1 world record Nitrous Z28 Thats who I send My stuff to...PM Me if Moe Dont see this
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Moe Bailey tunes LT1s & also tunes Tony Shepherds LT1 world record Nitrous Z28 Thats who I send My stuff to...PM Me if Moe Dont see this
I might be hijacking this thread, but it is still relevant to OP.

Is Moe the guy in Tulsa I have heard about or is that Ed Wright who sold his dyno.

I'll have to trailer my car from St. Louis.

Last edited by ckpLT; 04-10-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Thanks, Im in San Antonio Tx, let me know if I can help you out.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Moe. He tuned my car and it runs like a top. Highly recommend him!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Craig Moates = FREE .bin files

Hi Dave, I manufacture OBD-1 MemCals and sell most of these for use in the USPS LLV. (SF512)
My Memcal can be "reflashed" MANY times.
I use Moates TunerPro AND the Flash & Burn USB Prom burner interfaced to my LapTop.

I state this ONLY because it is VERY easy to use the Moates Applications as they provide "base upgraded tune" files.

The simple fact that the "E" fuels were NOT local when GM set your calibration WILL ALLOW calibration changes to increase HP/Mileage.
Does your PCM use a Memcal ?

Lance
Old 04-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Thanks, Im in San Antonio Tx, let me know if I can help you out.
Originally Posted by CaptainArbitrage
+1 for Moe. He tuned my car and it runs like a top. Highly recommend him!
Moe's in San Antonio and Captain's in New York. Did Moe tune your car in the mail or did you take it to Texas? That's a serious hike.

TIA
Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ckpLT
Moe's in San Antonio and Captain's in New York. Did Moe tune your car in the mail or did you take it to Texas? That's a serious hike.

TIA
Sorry, should have been more clear! I just sent my PCM to Moe, he tuned it and sent it back. I just told him what I had done (he has a template for an info sheet that you fill out and include with your PCM when you mail it down), and I just plugged in my PCM when it came back. I'm really happy with the tune! Car runs like a top.

I've never read a bad review of his work and service. Can't say the same for other tuners.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Teching In

That's good news! Is your car modified? I have a NA 388, LPE ported LT4's, 234/246 cam.....the list goes on.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ckpLT
That's good news! Is your car modified? I have a NA 388, LPE ported LT4's, 234/246 cam.....the list goes on.
Yes it is, though not as extensively as yours! Hotcam on freshened stock heads, upgraded valve springs, full bolt-ons (no EWP or underdrive), M6.