LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for a writeup on swapping heads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a writeup on swapping heads.

Hey all. I can't seem to find any writeups on changing the heads. I found the cam install writeup from Shbox, but it doesn't seem to list anything for the heads. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pick up a LT1 rebuild manual from Barns & Noble. Start reading.

Moral of the story, remove any and all items in your way of removing the heads.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread right here helped me:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ead-swaps.html
He just finished up his swap last week or so.

I just finished my head gasket replacement this weekend. So its all pretty fresh in my head. I actually didn't end up using a lot of the links in the thread. I printed them all out and had a grand plan of following the write ups. But at the end of the day, it was just like smitty said above me. If it was in the way, I removed it.

Keep everything in order.
Label everything.
Keep a bunch of zip lock bags that are labeled for storing nuts and bolts related to different parts of the motor.

I think the most troublesome part was plugging all the sensors back in. Everyone says "the harness only lays one way" and that is true for the most part. But some of the ways that the wire looms snaked around the block, past the headers, or around the alternator brackets gave me some trouble. I wish I had taken a picture before removing.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys! I think I can figure it out from here. I have a rebuild manual, but it seems a bit overfilled with info that is more targeted towards rebuilding the heads from the ground up.