LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Plastic Replacement Oil Level Sensor broke off...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plastic Replacement Oil Level Sensor broke off...

Just finished my cam install and everything was peachy until I noticed I was leaking oil. Appears to be coming from oil level sensor directly through the plastic plug....was leaking before as well but not as bad, probably because I disconnected the plug when I dropped the pan.

Anyways, when I was tightening the replacement from autozone (duralast, plastic bolt/threads) the son of a bitch shredded right where the threads go in. I managed to get the threaded part back out but the floater and plastic piece that runs to the floater must have fell in there.

What are my best options? Am I ok leaving them in there? I couldn't find anything just fishing around. Really don't want to remove the whole oil pan.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I suspect some part of the sensor that fell in motor is metal....not that the plastic is good either

Any of the small pieces would get sucked into the oil pump pickup but stopped by the screen

I wouldn't want anything in my motor

with the oil level sensor and drain plug out you could fish around with coat hanger to ideally pull the debris to the drain hole

One of those snorkel video cameras would come in handy to see WTF is in there. Harbor Freight has them for around $60. I believe there are also USB snorkel cams...not sure if they are iPhone/android compatible or not or just laptop
Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Better safe than sorry, looks like you'll need to drop the pan...
Old 06-01-2018, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ******
I suspect some part of the sensor that fell in motor is metal....not that the plastic is good either

Any of the small pieces would get sucked into the oil pump pickup but stopped by the screen

I wouldn't want anything in my motor

with the oil level sensor and drain plug out you could fish around with coat hanger to ideally pull the debris to the drain hole

One of those snorkel video cameras would come in handy to see WTF is in there. Harbor Freight has them for around $60. I believe there are also USB snorkel cams...not sure if they are iPhone/android compatible or not or just laptop
It's definitely all plastic, I stuck my flexible magnet in there and didn't get anything, I'll do a little more fishing and possibly check out one of those cameras... Good idea
Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
It's definitely all plastic, I stuck my flexible magnet in there and didn't get anything,
this is a pic of a AC Delco tip (rockauto)....looks to have a metal compression washer
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...049701&jsn=520

Maybe you have another brand that is fastened without metal
Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is the duralast... Either way it needs out