LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 sbc major differences??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lt1 sbc major differences??

I have a lt1 that I want to go 383 with what is the major difference between the sbc and the lt1 sb?

Can I use a sbc 383 rotating assy.. I'm doing away with the omni spark going carb with a dist. So is it basically the same short block with reverse flow heads?

Any help would be appreciated to get me on the right track thanks guys and gals!!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes if you get rid of the opti you'll need a front cover plug or a different front cover. But other than that and reverse cooling, the engine internals, crank, rods, pistons, etc are all interchangeable with 86 and up SBC stuff.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I do sbc assy with one piece rmc change to a regular sbc timing chain and cover and run an electric water pump to get rid of the lt1 timing chain that runs the gear water pump then basically its straight forward rebuild..

That makes everthing alot more clear and easier to understand... Thank you!

Originally Posted by biketopia
Yes if you get rid of the opti you'll need a front cover plug or a different front cover. But other than that and reverse cooling, the engine internals, crank, rods, pistons, etc are all interchangeable with 86 and up SBC stuff.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as long as it's internal balance and 1 piece rear main, the rotating assembly is the same
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by LSwonMatt
So if I do sbc assy with one piece rmc change to a regular sbc timing chain and cover and run an electric water pump to get rid of the lt1 timing chain that runs the gear water pump then basically its straight forward rebuild..
A traditional SBC timing cover will not bolt up to the LT1 Gen II block. You have to use a LT1 specific cover and seal the openings on the timing cover if doing away with the mech. w/p and/or the opti, also you can use a traditional SBC chain if you are using a vented opti or doing away with it. Because a non-vented/'93-'94 opti uses a splined shaft within the cam snout the timing chain sproket has to allow provisions for it that (I don't think) a traditional SBC timing chain sproket allows.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
as long as it's internal balance and 1 piece rear main, the rotating assembly is the same
The flywheels/flexplates are externally balanced on 1-piece rear SBCs.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
The flywheels/flexplates are externally balanced on 1-piece rear SBCs.
you do know the lt1 does not run a balancer correct? and when you run an aftermarket rotating assembly you will neutral balance the flexplate/flywheel?