LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

0411 PCM Swap/Opti Delete... Nothing Else Needed! Video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 0411 PCM Swap/Opti Delete... Nothing Else Needed! Video inside.

Heys guys hope this video and info helps! I saw a video on youtube last year of a guy that converted to the 411 ls pcm and found out you didnt need the cam sensor for it to run. I was skeptical at first but figured why not try it and see what happens. Bought a spare 97 m6 harness to repin just incase this didnt end up working i could revert back to stock.

What we are doing is running a 411 pcm with a vortec 350 van/truck L31 tune which is very similar to an lt1. Uses same coil, module, crank sensor, and firing order. The things that very different between the two is the lt1 has the opti and the vortec 350 runs a rear mount dizzy. Both are timed by the camshaft so even though in the guy on youtubes case he relized that even though he converted the lt1 intake to accept the vortec rear dizzy. After relizing once unplugging the cam sensor from the dizzy it still ran and ran well! So after all that work the rear vortec dizzy was not needed and the opti in place would still run the engine even though the optical sensor is not being used. So we are deleting one of biggest issues with these motor along with adding the 411 pcm that any performance ls shop can work on. Huge bonus!

So last night i swapped in my repinned harness and loaded the car on the trailer and headed over to see my tuner. At first it didnt fire and had no spark. Really threw us for a loop checking over everything. The initial fire up tune he had made had the vehicle status changed from truck to fbody which we think thought it was coil on plug which it is not. We decided to flash in a completely stock l31 tune as a truck and see what happens. It fired! So thankful was beginning to doubt the swap and or my wire repin job. Ironed out a couple things and she was running really good. Having issues with the crank relearn but i dont have any doubts we can overcome this so i can loose the engine light. We made a couple datalogs and going to return back once he looks over everything to finalize the tune. In the mean time new plugs and o2s are going in before we go back for tuning to make sure the tune is on point.

Is this swap for everyone... no, but it was perfect for my situation and getting the car tuned after the cam swap. I have done the efi 24x swap to my 94 formula when it first debuted many years back and worked great. Coil on plug is a very nice feature but the price tag detered me from trying it again but im on a budget with this car so not in my cards. So that being said the swap was a success and glad i could help show more people some other options that are out there.

This is a direct swap for a 96-97 lt1 as they have the parts needed. If 92-95 you can buy a 96-97 timing cover, reluctor wheel, hub, crank sensor, and crank sensor wiring which are cheap. Much cheaper then a AC DELCO opti that are all now remaned chinese units that will fail sooner then later. As long as you have a good condition cap and rotor your will have no more issues without the optical sensor being used. This will also cure a car with a no start condtition if throwing opti codes since it wouldnt be used and once converted will run if thats what the issue was.

Onto the video... enjoy and good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf9...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to more info. Thanks for the work
Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So you are using opti for crank signal and just ditching the cam signal?

I know on mine, when I unplug cam 4x signal (vortec dizzy) it will run fine, but if it guesses wrong on compression cycle, it will extended crank to finally catch.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
So you are using opti for crank signal and just ditching the cam signal?

I know on mine, when I unplug cam 4x signal (vortec dizzy) it will run fine, but if it guesses wrong on compression cycle, it will extended crank to finally catch.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to summarize what all this swap entails for my own awareness.

A while back someone posted a video about swapping a 0411 pcm into their LT1 fbody with the intention of running a rear mount distributor similar to the L31 trucks. I think the L31 trucks use a crank sensor and a cam sensor that is located inside the distributor for fueling/timing. The trucks will actually run with the cam sensor unhooked, but the efi system switches to batch fire instead of sequential injection. I also believe the trucks lose their tach signal to the dash with that sensor unplugged.

The 96-97 OBDII fbody cars actually have crank sensors, unlike the 93-95 versions. It's my understanding that the LT1 crank sensor isn't actually used to run the vehicle at all and was just put in place to meet the OBDII requirement for misfire detection.

What's being proposed here is to leave the optispark in place, but only for the cap and rotor to provide spark. The 0411 PCM is swapped in and the harness is re-pinned to incorporate the factory LT1 crank sensor for timing/fueling. I don't believe the fbody will have any tach issues with the cam sensor missing since the ecm drives the dash gauges.

Do you know if it runs in batch fire mode like the truck? I believe all of the tuned port motors were batch fire, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Is sequential mainly just for fuel economy? It seems like I've read before that batch fire can actually let you get away with smaller injectors since they get more than one chance at fueling as the crank rotates.

Thanks!

Chad
Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That is correct it now runs batch fire injection and with that they say fuel economy goes down. If you search what a 93 LT1 that came factory batch fire (15,23) vs a 97 with sequential (15,24) the difference 1MPG hwy which is next to nothing.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The local LKQ junk yard had a 40% off sale today. I grabbed three 0411 ecms with the connectors for $100 after tax, core charge, and environmental fees. I might try converting my 97 Camaro and wanted to change the ecm in my 98 Camaro anyway. Got a third for a spare, or if I ever wanted to convert my LT1 Buick over too.

Chad
Old 09-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 0411 and Operating system for the PCM

Hi! Love the video! I just re-pinned my harness in my ‘96 WS6 T/A. I am using the 0411 PCM, I
have the “ LS Droid” hardware/software to reprogram my PCM, I am trying to figure out which operating system needs to be installed with this pcm to run the Express Van Tune.
.XDF file, etc......what ever is needed to make the car run. I downloaded a 2002 Express Van tune, but Im betting it was the wrong one.
also, “Horsepowertube” didnt mention in his pinout notes that the cam position sensor
needed to be deleted until afterwards, so I didn't see that until last night.No wonder my car wouldn't start.....can you share the express van files you started your car on?
my email is:
Benjamin.L.Smith@hotmail.com
I’d appreciate any help you can provide.
thanjs!
Ben Smith
Old 08-27-2021, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

@95mysticta forgive me for bringing up a 2 year old thread but it looks like you are still active on the forums here
Do you have a good link/writeup on the wiring changes needed for the 411 to run like this
I've seen full 24x swaps with coil on plug, but I'm much more interested in doing this the way you did!
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 0411 PCM on a LT1

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
@95mysticta forgive me for bringing up a 2 year old thread but it looks like you are still active on the forums here
Do you have a good link/writeup on the wiring changes needed for the 411 to run like this
I've seen full 24x swaps with coil on plug, but I'm much more interested in doing this the way you did!
Thanks!
”Horsepowertube” (aka “Kyle”) has the pinouts
that make this conversion easy.
once I made all the pinout changes to my harness, I was replacing the map sensor connector that was broken, I didn’t label the wires before disassembling it, and of course it wouldn’t run, but after verifying the correct order, the car ran pretty well.
I just finished installing a fresh 383 stroker, so I’ll have to make several changes to air flow and fueling..
good luck with your conversion!
Ben Smith

Old 04-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Pinouts

Hey guys, know it's old thread, sorry, but I see some of these members are still active. Just swapped in a DEAD Opti for the one that failed....really beat down....and thinking of doing the 0411 swap to be done with the Opti all together. I live in a no emissions state, and having tuning ability would be a definite plus. My car is a 100% stock LT1 96 Firebird. Wanted to know if anyone has the Pinouts for the 0411 harness and the 96 Firebird harness,bas well as a brief verification of how this repin is accomplished, kinda "for dummies" as this will be my first repin job. I appreciate any help, thanks. I tried dming mystics, but the site won't let me, yet.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll be doing this to my 93 which has a Painless harness, but will require me to crimp on new pins. I just got the 4X reluctor stuff swapped in and am looking forward to having a 411 be in control of my engine. Both of my trucks have the 411 PCM and as a science experiment, I unplugged the cam sensor on the 350 Vortec and the truck ran exactly the same as with it plugged in. That was proof enough for me.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:11 PM
Teching In

I think I'm gonna try it just as the guy in the video did it, just running a base tune for the 01 Express 1500, Opti still installed but unplugged, this acting only as a traditional distributor.....but I've never repinned a harness before, but unless I'm mistaken, I need to take the wires from the existing LT1 HARNESS, and install them into an 01 Express 0411 harness, in the correct pins according to the Express pin-out ....does that sound about the jist of it? So I'm essentially just taking wire in pin (a) that controls (x) and moving it to the corresponding correct pin in the 0411 harness, for the exact same function (x).....sound right? I can turn any wrench no problem, but when it comes to wiring, I start to get nervous and doubt myself a little, that's why I was hoping someone who's done it could just give me the quick and dirty "for dummies" version of a step-by-step. But I'm definitely looking forward to having some tuning ability to open up this HIGHLY UNDERRATED engine!
Old 04-11-2022, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you just swap wires one at a time, same way I did it to my trucks. When do you think you'll get to it?
Old 04-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Teching In

I've gotta get this thing up an running first WITH the Opti, as I just bought it and it's a California car (I'm in Nebraska) so in order to title it, I need to drive it down for a VIN inspection at the sheriff's office. Should have been done already but damn water pump gaskets keep leaking. I've got the new AC DELCO Opti on there.....once the titles switched, then I can start tearing into her more to make her mine. Already pulled the AIR pump out. Hoping to have that done by next week sometime.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Can't you just trailer it down? I did that with my dad's car to get it titled.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:04 AM
Teching In

I'm sure I could, but I don't have a trailer or dolly, and I really don't feel like coughing up the cash to rent one. That, and I haven't installed the hitch I have on my pickup yet. But hopefully I'll have the damn water pump done by this weekend, get it titled next week, then I can focus on customizing it. I've also got an L33 I picked up, complete with the harness and ECU and every accessory, for $750, that I want to start rebuilding to swap into my OBS. SO, I've got a few projects underway, but they're all on hold until I can get this Firebird titled. I like the LT1 engine, but man, what a pain in the *** it can be!
Old 04-14-2022, 09:59 PM

So i've done two of this PCM swaps, both 97 Camaros, one stock and one 383 nitrous, both run fine, the problem i have with both is that the tach calibration is off and i haven´t managed to get them dial in, do you have the same issue? Also in the stock one, my cylinder airmass doesn't goes over .36 grams so i was having issues with timing tuning.

If there's anything i can help you with i'll be happy to help.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm really interested in reading more about this. Seems a lot cheaper than doing a full 411 swap.