LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta still have some love for lt1s! I think I got a good horse from the factory because I just have bolt ons and I can hang with most cars on the road and alot of people are surprised. My favorite is when I roll up on a hatchback Mazda with a big "BOOSTED" sticker on the window and then he spools his little turbo and I drop to 2nd and floor it and can no longer hear or see him and he then asks me if u run nitrous! Hahahah. My cars not that fast. But I believe alot of these people have no idea how to drive, because my car shouldn't beat alot of cars I have raced. But I wont complain!
Old 06-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I know your pain, especially when newer 6-cylinder engines come the factory making more horsepower than what my Jasper remanufactured LT1 is likely making.

Time after time you've said you do not care about performance, but rather trying to make the thing run as efficiently as possible. Make up your damned mind!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two 97 SS Camaros one hardtop the other ttop and a 94 Z28 hardtop, all are getting fully forged 383s two have nitrous and the other is getting an 88mm turbo and they're all T56s.

Here's the N20 383 for my 97 HT SS, I'll never swap to nor bow to any LS..

Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

No but you might have to tip your hat to that guy with an LS that runs you down on the big end though. My pump gas fuel injected LSX 427 built for a 200+ shot did just that on motor alone against a 468 BBC built for a blower. He doesn't have his blower yet and I don't have a bottle yet but would like to see that race again once all is said and done.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
My pump gas fuel injected LSX 427 built for a 200+ shot did just that on motor alone against a 468 BBC built for a blower. He doesn't have his blower yet and I don't have a bottle yet....
Me too. We all know the LS platform is the better running of the two, but with what you say it could be if the BBC was set up to run a blower the CR on that thing was on the low end. Timing may have also been set up on the conservative side, whereas your CR either hasn't changed or is higher?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

What's it like being an LT1 owner in 2019? ******* awesome. I've got a couple LS vehicles, my LT1, and some other cool **** but I love being the underdog and love being the one that doesn't get respect. I absolutely hate when people think my car is an LS1. I had my car at the drag strip last week and it was nice cutting 1.5 60 foots and having people come up to me/ seeing people's reactions since my car looks like a 100% stock LT1 Formula on the outside. Eventhough I grew up with parents that owned LS vehicles and own some myself, I still love it when I beat up on a similarly modded LS1s at the track or on the street. Just because someone has an LS1 with the same mods doesn't mean they are necessarily faster, all comes down to attention to detail, the right combination, etc. A few of us were cruising down to muscle car week in OCMD recently. Some hot shot in a newer modded 5.0 Mustang avoided my friends with faster appearing cars and decided to pick on the LT1. I fucked his day up from a roll, he was so embaressed after that that he wouldn't look at any of us and hung way back behind us the rest of the way there. That **** feels good. If you got an LT1 whether it's because it's all you can/could afford or you specifically wanted one or whatever the case is, be proud of what you got and represent it the best you can.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only glanced at the other comments so excuse me if I say something that has been said. This is only my humble opinion.
When I drive my car I am well aware that the modern V6 cars have equal or greater HP numbers and about 200HP shy of the modern V8 cars. just the other day I got into a little race with a newer Audi in Mexico and it was dead even. looked it up and that car has a turbo 4cylinder.

I picked this car up because I found it for really cheap. so, It may not be the best, the fastest, the nicest.but its MINE. its V8, its RWD, it has TTops and a Radio. its way better than having some boring car or nothing at all.

Comparison is the thief of joy. I'm Just happy to have some wheels.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I'm restricted to 260whp as are the LS1s in my class, so no complaints here.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I lost my keys and my 25 year old ignition won’t accept the brand new cut dealer key. So being an LT1 owner in 2019 for me is resenting the VATS system, and watching it collect dust.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I lost my keys and my 25 year old ignition won’t accept the brand new cut dealer key. So being an LT1 owner in 2019 for me is resenting the VATS system, and watching it collect dust.
Cut it all out of car, push button start.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Cut it all out of car, push button start.
Yep. I did that wired up a system in a friend's car using a toggle switch to turn on the ignition/accessories, and tapped the push button power supply into clutch position sensor and the switch. The switch had to be on and the clutch pressed before the push button became live.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
Yep. I did that wired up a system in a friend's car using a toggle switch to turn on the ignition/accessories, and tapped the push button power supply into clutch position sensor and the switch. The switch had to be on and the clutch pressed before the push button became live.
and with that you dont even need to lock your doors. a manual car alone is rocket science to people these days.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
How did you get around the VATS?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR

Time after time you've said you do not care about performance, but rather trying to make the thing run as efficiently as possible. Make up your damned mind!
Don't twist the context of my words like you do. Stroking a daily driver LT1 that is winter driven is hardly efficient, my friend! This is a difference of philosophy and how we wish to modify our cars for our notion of "enjoyment". The only way to get a real bump in my daily driving RPM band is to change the intake manifold and make use of the fluid dynamics of the long runners on the TPI intake. Few people have asked and ALL were shut down for it. How different are the L98 and the LT1 from each other aside from the reverse-flow cooling of the LT1 and better cylinder heads and stock exhaust? It should be apparent that a relatively budget upgrade to my LT1 using my stock components is to throw on the TPI intake and use my stock camshaft but again, I need to find a place to do the relatively minor custom work to allow the L98 TPI base to bolt directly to the LT1 heads. I have pictures to show what needs to be done but forgive me for taking away from this thread...

Originally Posted by State69champ
I only glanced at the other comments so excuse me if I say something that has been said. This is only my humble opinion.
When I drive my car I am well aware that the modern V6 cars have equal or greater HP numbers and about 200HP shy of the modern V8 cars. just the other day I got into a little race with a newer Audi in Mexico and it was dead even. looked it up and that car has a turbo 4cylinder.

I picked this car up because I found it for really cheap. so, It may not be the best, the fastest, the nicest.but its MINE. its V8, its RWD, it has TTops and a Radio. its way better than having some boring car or nothing at all.

Comparison is the thief of joy. I'm Just happy to have some wheels.
You will have people who will joke and say "Oh your car is all show and no go" if it is bone stock. Honestly, who cares what they think. You know you have a sexy car! I know I have a sexy car and she will only get better once I am ready to get her resto-modded and her engine improved to my standard and performance goals. Forget what other people think and be willing to bet some of them will end up putting their new car in a ditch, wrapping it around a telephone pole or totaling it on the expressway by sliding out of control into a cement barrier trying to show off all those ponies and not having the traction to do so on the asphalt.

For me, autocross will be play date with my car, not the race track. You don't need high horsepower for winding and twisting courses when torque will benefit you most!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
Don't twist the context of my words like you do.
LOL. I'm not twisting ****. Have you or have you not repeatedly said you do not care about performance? Yes you have. Now you are complaining about V6 performance rivaling your own and saying "I know your pain..."
Looks more like you are getting lost in your own wordy arguments. Probably a good idea to keep them numbered, son!
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LOL. I'm not twisting ****. Have you or have you not repeatedly said you do not care about performance? Yes you have. Now you are complaining about V6 performance rivaling your own and saying "I know your pain..."
Looks more like you are getting lost in your own wordy arguments. Probably a good idea to keep them numbered, son!
You can private message me if you wish to continue insulting me. Don't muddy up this thread trying to get me engaged in back-and-fourth banter.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Village Troll

It's in insult to call you on your shenanigans? Good Lord, dude.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Old 06-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently pulled a 2014 camaro by about 4 to 5 car lengths and i've got a 1994 z28 which is done up a fair bit but he ended giving me a thumbs up after so i would say the opposite but i do also have a few people that love the look of it.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my 94 Bird last summer, like everyone sure an Ls would have been nice and more familiar to me but the price was right. I remember when I bought it I was thinking Ls swap. Well one year on and I'm kind of diggin the Lt. Something to be said for that generation. I don't track or strip the car, she's purely a fair weather cruiser for me. I'm not a purist and enjoy the fact that I can hot rod the car at my leisure. I love projects. T56 is just about ready to be installed. Aside from the parts availability, the platform has decent support compared to the Wbody community I was last involved in. V8, back wheel drive and a 6spd...I'll take that all day long.

Quick Reply: What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?