LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?

You boys getting dirty looks or do you make those heads turn when the car hooks?

Whenever I tell people I have a 4th gen they immediately start talking about the LS1. Then I interrupt them and say it's a LT-1 and they start looking at me sympathetically. Round my parts I rarely see LT-1's anymore mainly LS-1 boys everywhere. I remember the days when I could pop my hood open and people would gasps at the glory of the LT-1.I was proud to show them it's might and glory... now I simply bow my head down. I admit I always had a crush on the LS1 not so much just for it's performance but because it didn't have an opti spark or annoying head gaskets. Like many of you though I have an LT-1 still because I'm a poor bastard and I have to make due with what the GM Gods put in the car when it was born. I now know how those enthusiastic 3rd gen guys felt when they would pop their hoods and enthusiastically show you the TPI.

I remember in those times feeling sorry for them but now I'm the one to feel sorry for. I know LS1 guys think we're eyesores just something for them to point and laugh at when they drive down the highway but I like to believe that the LT-1 even with it's short lifespan is still capable of being competitive in this modern day. I do wish to confess my sins to my brothers here that I have spent nights on craigslist looking at LS1's to swap. I have even done worse and at my lowest point looked as LM7's. I am ashamed of myself. This is why I come here to strengthen my faith.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not sure what to make of this. Are you high?

Who cares what LSx owners think? If you want to swap, swap. If you don't - don't. Anyone that says an LT1 can't make power has their head up their ***.
The following 2 users liked this post by atlantadan:
Toby Dog (06-24-2019), Vicious95Z28 (07-15-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantadan
Who cares what LSx owners think? If you want to swap, swap. If you don't - don't. Anyone that says an LT1 can't make power has their head up their ***.
this.

nothing wrong with having an lt1 in 2019. i could've ls swapped my car years ago, but i like the fact that it not as common of an engine like the ls is so i decided to stick with it and am now in process of hanging a turbo off the front of it. sure i get people asking if its an ls, but i don't mind that and like educating them on what the lt1 is all about if they don't know about it.

plus the lt1 sounds better than an ls1 imo
Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it. I get lots of compliments and guys that don’t believe I’m almost in the 10s with just a lil 355.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't count how many dumb **** ask..."is that a LSx?".

I reply "ah no its a LT1, 2nd gen."

They don't even know the linage of the "LT" SBC platform over the years....including the latest generation of "LT" motors.

You can't fix stupid so just ignore those people.

I also have a 67 Camaro. All badging has been removed and holes filed. Can't tell you how many ask....is it a "SS"....who fing cares is my typical reply

enjoy what you have.
The following users liked this post:
Vicious95Z28 (07-15-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by atlantadan
I am not sure what to make of this. Are you high?
Nope just thought we'd have a fun discussion about our OLD and forgotten engines in the modern age. It ain't just LT vs LS anymore. It's LT vs. LS1, LS2, LS3,LS6,LS7 LSX (yah know the crate motors), and even the new LT1,LT4,LT5's. I mean these engines push out power from the factory that our 275hp motors would have thought never possible. I think it is worthy of discussion considering our little engines are 25 years old now.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im sorry my man, but if this was 2009 or 1999 maybe this post would be more accurate.

The ls1 cars arent hot **** anymore.

The ls3 camaros and the new LT camaros are what all the cool kids are into.

Nobody cares about all our catfish and the holy grail ls1 anymore.

Lol
Old 06-03-2019, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
I can't count how many dumb **** ask..."is that a LSx?".

I reply "ah no its a LT1, 2nd gen."

They don't even know the linage of the "LT" SBC platform over the years....including the latest generation of "LT" motors.

You can't fix stupid so just ignore those people.

I also have a 67 Camaro. All badging has been removed and holes filed. Can't tell you how many ask....is it a "SS"....who fing cares is my typical reply

enjoy what you have.
I've had people more times than I can count walk up to me as I'm standing next to my 69 yenko clone and say, "nice mustang".
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine looks like a SBC and confuses people. Further confusion comes when I say its turbo'd

Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I love 4th Gens and wanted an LS car, but when I came upon a 97 TA WS6 car that was super clean and super cheap, I didn't hesitate. Stock it ran 14.02 on a hot day....which was disappointing to me, especially as my buddy got that time lol....I ran a best of 14.18. I still had a ton of fun and knew that I was going to build the car, so slowly getting it to where I want is the fun part. I have acquired a bunch of great parts mostly from members on here...heads, intake, TB, stall, suspension parts etc. I don't care about what's out there that's newer and better, I take pride in the car I have and the mods I an doing to it. with everything I've read and researched, these cars can be very competitive with the new stuff. There is a ton of info out there and a ton of good deals on parts. Don't get down on the car...just make it better. There will always be guys with newer, better and faster stuff....who cares...it's about having fun and liking what you like!

Hell, my buddy still has his 88 Mustang GT which he loves and will never sell. And he still runs the old school 302 with a Paxton....currently runs 11.3 at 123ish. The car is gorgeous ad draws attention. Same as my WS6...I love the styling and feel of the car....future calls for a 383 and spray. Hoping for 11s N/A and then I'll add spray. In My area, the track has just as many old school rides as it does new stuff.

Last edited by PARMY; 06-03-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nick V.
Im sorry my man, but if this was 2009 or 1999 maybe this post would be more accurate.

Lol
Oh you mean those Sedans and SUV's that they put Camaro badges on? Yeah I had the pleasure of driving a ZL1. I don't think I had ever been so bored and felt so safe in a car with that much power in my life. I just kept thinking "man if I had this under the hood of my 4th Gen..."
Old 06-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PARMY
I love 4th Gens and wanted an LS car, but when I came upon a 97 TA WS6 car that was super clean and super cheap, I didn't hesitate. Stock it ran 14.02 on a hot day....which was disappointing to me, especially as my buddy got that time lol....I ran a best of 14.18. I still had a ton of fun and knew that I was going to build the car, so slowly getting it to where I want is the fun part. I have acquired a bunch of great parts mostly from members on here...heads, intake, TB, stall, suspension parts etc. I don't care about what's out there that's newer and better, I take pride in the car I have and the mods I an doing to it. with everything I've read and researched, these cars can be very competitive with the new stuff. There is a ton of info out there and a ton of good deals on parts. Don't get down on the car...just make it better. There will always be guys with newer, better and faster stuff....who cares...it's about having fun and liking what you like!

Hell, my buddy still has his 88 Mustang GT which he loves and will never sell. And he still runs the old school 302 with a Paxton....currently runs 11.3 at 123ish. The car is gorgeous ad draws attention. Same as my WS6...I love the styling and feel of the car....future calls for a 383 and spray. Hoping for 11s N/A and then I'll add spray. In My area, the track has just as many old school rides as it does new stuff.
I know what you mean round my parts those mustang guys don't let em' go. Lots of Fox bodies, Cobra's, and Modulars. They look nice and clean most of the time. I see more birds on the road than I do 4th Gen Camaro's. I rarely see 3rd gens at all I can't imagine where they went.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick V.

Lol
Where do you live ? Around here the catfish is hot **** and its on the street and at the track. The LS3 camaros gets some respect as well but not like the catfish. Guys i work with talks about my car behind my back LOL.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

4th gen LS>>5th gen LS3 Camaro

OP....you need a 5.3 swap in your lyfe! Doing it on the cheap and gets rid of that pesky optispark.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Too old to care what others think. I go to the track. I sometimes beat LS cars and it's a pleasure to see their reaction. Sometimes I loose bigly. I then move on with my life.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Too old to care what others think.
This. and the fact that 22 years later i can still turn the key and its starts without have done zero internally to the engine is pride enough for me to have.
Shownomercy, why did you decorate your engine bay to look like a turn of the century Yahoo Geosites webpage?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My car looks just like an LS car but still rockin the LT under the hood.. Only those who know me knows an LT is under the hood.. But hey when you run 11.20’s with heads and cam only who cares lolz
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Who cares what others think about your ride OP. What should matter is are you happy with it. I'll take an LSX engine over an LT4 any day. Way better platform so I'm saying that LSX>LT4. For those who don't know what defines an LSX read below.

An LSX is a GM Performance Parts LSX block with LSX cylinder heads. The LSX heads came in either rectangular ports LS3/L92, square ports LS7 and maybe even the cathedral ports. The LSX cylinder heads take six bolts to clamp the head down to the engine block instead of the traditional four bolts like all the other LS variants and is one of the things that sets it apart from other LS engines. They are also capable of over 2,000 HP and can be bored and stroked to larger cubes than any standard production LS engine block. They also have a priority main oiling system like the SBC and BBC engines so the rods and mains get the oil before the cam and lifters.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
Shownomercy, why did you decorate your engine bay to look like a turn of the century Yahoo Geosites webpage?
Cuz his ***** is just that old!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
This. and the fact that 22 years later i can still turn the key and its starts without have done zero internally to the engine is pride enough for me to have.
Art? Or something? It made sense at the time.

Who knows.

Better question would be, why the hell did I drop money into a ratty 4th gen LT1.

Quick Reply: What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?