LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High Output Alternator Recommendations for LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High Output Alternator Recommendations for LT1?

My 94 Bird needs constant jump-starts and i'm nearly positive insufficient alternator power is to blame. Its got MSD ignition, an electric waterpump, and a pair of amps driving 6 speakers. I've also just replaced the battery with no relief of symptoms, so I'm thinking the alternator is just too overtaxed to compete. Sitting at idle with the A/C makes the Volt meter read about 9 volts: not good. So, does anyone have any recommendations for an alternator for this type of application? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...-firebird.html, google is your friend.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Yes I know I can Google it, but I don't trust the online reviews. Lord knows they're easy to buy with Chinese bots. I'm looking for someone with personal experience from these products. Thanks for the suggestion tho
Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a mr alternator 200amp unit which has been great, but seems like they have shut down their website.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you running stock or underdrive pulleys? If your alternator gas gone south when you replace it you can also get an overdrive alternator pulley for a lil more juice.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've had a good experience with my Torqhead alternator so far. Looks like they only have a 140 amp unit right now, I could've sworn they had a 200 amp at one point. I have the 140 and it doesn't break a sweat running all my bells and whistles including A/C and a 400w subwoofer amp.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Germansheperd1
Are you running stock or underdrive pulleys? If your alternator gas gone south when you replace it you can also get an overdrive alternator pulley for a lil more juice.
The crank is underdriven, and I have an overdrive pulley for the alternator that I plan to install as a cheaper solution to try. I'm just waiting on the shorter belt I need to arrive. However, my fear is that it won't be enough to really fix the problem, so I'm trying to gage what other people's experiences have been. Plus if it doesn't work I can put the same pulley on any other alternator I get.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Underdrive pulley will hurt charging, specially at low rpms and also with the large electrical load you have.
i don’t care how good of an alternator you put on it, if it does not spin the minimal amount needed, you will continue to have problems.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Underdrive pulley will hurt charging, specially at low rpms and also with the large electrical load you have.
i don’t care how good of an alternator you put on it, if it does not spin the minimal amount needed, you will continue to have problems.
Hence why I've got an overdrive pulley for the thing. As long as you can restore the original ratio it shouldn't make a difference. Speaking of, I just got a 1.9" pulley installed and it has definitely made a difference, but I've still got a slow voltage drop to about 10 volts with A/C on, turn signal flashing, and stereo up at idle. But moving at all is now just under 13 volts. I've never had a car with a typical charging system as I bought the car with the pulleys already installed. Does this sound sustainable to the old heads on this board or do I need a more powerful alternator? So far it has started up just fine but I've only started it 3 times since the install.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Project_Daily
The crank is underdriven, and I have an overdrive pulley for the alternator that I plan to install as a cheaper solution to try. I'm just waiting on the shorter belt I need to arrive. However, my fear is that it won't be enough to really fix the problem, so I'm trying to gage what other people's experiences have been. Plus if it doesn't work I can put the same pulley on any other alternator I get.
It wont be enough. I finally took off my crank UD pulley and put the stock one back on. I never had a dead battery but the volts would really drop at a light or with lights on and/or AC.

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator Recommendations for LT1?