LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Air Hood Air Box 93-97 LT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Ram Air Hood Air Box 93-97 LT-1

I'm doing some work with 3d printing and may be doing a 3d model of a functional air box to work with the fiberglass Ram-Air hood for the LT-1. Seems a lot of them don't come with any air box so maybe others need this.
The part would be made in three pieces. A left, right and middle. The middle section would have the air intake. There could also be bungs for the charge air temp sensor and maybe one for venting the Optispark into. I don't really need this right now because I already have a box on mine, but I thought it would be a cool project and people are asking $600-900 for used boxes. This one could have a cover with fins or some other design though it would be fitted for a square filter and wouldn't need a cover really. The part is rendered in carbon fiber but would be a black matte carbon fiber filled material (not woven like in the renders). If you wanted that look they could be dipped to get the carbon fiber effect or some other color.

Any desire for this? What would be a good price for this if I can produce a near OEM part?

Rendered in Fusion360

Rendered in Fusion360
Old 01-31-2022, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If I didn't already have one I'd be in for one
Old 02-01-2022, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could you adapt the intake portion to flow better? That design and current stock design have sharp transitions from the airbox to the tube. Something like the aftermarket LS1 lids do, with a funnel type smooth transition from the box to the tube may flow a bit better with less turbulence?
I have a 8x8" 3D printer myself, along with a RamAir box and I've thought about revising this portion of the box for a while now, as it seems could use some improvement in this area.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I didn't already have one.. they are getting hard to come by.
I have the suncoast creations one, and like your rendering the top is wide open with no slats covering the air filter area. This design didn't hold up well on my box, as the top has now warped from holding the filter down. I wish it had some bracing. Just something to consider.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely think I could make some improvements. I have an aftermarket fiberglass box myself and would like to do something a bit different. I've also had a request to do one which would fit the C4 Corvette. I need to work out how to do this first. I think I can vacuum form these parts but won't know until I make and investment in it and try.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
Could you adapt the intake portion to flow better? That design and current stock design have sharp transitions from the airbox to the tube. Something like the aftermarket LS1 lids do, with a funnel type smooth transition from the box to the tube may flow a bit better with less turbulence?
I have a 8x8" 3D printer myself, along with a RamAir box and I've thought about revising this portion of the box for a while now, as it seems could use some improvement in this area.
While I see what you're trying to achieve, that's asking a lot and is near impossible if you're trying to increase space top to bottom. Those transitions are there because of space restraints between the top of the radiator shroud and the bottom of the hood. You could however make it wider more like an oval. (think LS Blackwing intake)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested
Old 03-14-2022, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you be making this for Corvette as well? If so I'd be interested
Old 03-28-2022, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't stopped thinking about this, but I've been very busy with my day job and have been getting into 3d printing. I think I can do this in carbon fiber and I could do also do something for the Corvette. Sorry progress has been slow.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jazz-LT1:
rentedmule (03-28-2022), ReuschWS6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would gladly pay for a ram air box for my WS6. Mine came with the wrong hood, front bumper, and a junk cold air intake.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood Air Box 93-97 LT-1