LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how to get a Soild roller cam to live on the street

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin' 85 z
A hydraulic lifter Pumps Up using oil to fill the clearance between the pushrod and rocker...A solid roller is ....well..Solid, so the clearances change, and have to be re adjusted

I believe he was asking if there is a difference in cams. I'm curious about this as well. My car isn't a DD but is on the street occasionally. I'm considering going to a solid this winter. Any and all input would be great.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I may have some Comp 943 springs and and Endurex lifters for sale, out of the box, assembled on the heads...but never been over 75 degree ambient temp lol

Going to the dark side.....

if anyone has an interest PM me
Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Listen to people who have solid rollers before you go by the opinions of those who have not run them.

Soild rollers and street engines do go together, BUT....there are things that you need to make sure are right before they will work. The most important thing in my opinion is the lifter/spring combination.....then the oil issue (restrictors or not). Its all in that setup.

I have had 3 solid roller LT1 motors. The first was a 355ci that made 445rw, second was a 396ci that was probably making 480rw (went 127mph NA at the track), and the motor I am currently using to test my theories on some things....and some of my own parts.

I have had 1 lifter fail in that time, and that was because of the valvesprings and lifters being mis-matched (based on what a *professional* engine shop told me to run)...go figure.

Even after the failure, I continue to run solid rollers. Its all in the right parts, and the right parts for your combo dont *have* to cost an arm and a leg.
Jason
Old 09-23-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.samracing.com/docs/projects/72_chevy_c10.htm

Sollid Roller Truck SAM ran in the Power Tour

http://speeddemonmotorsports.com/Tec...onversion.html

Good tech article
Old 09-23-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Jason, it actually you or Jordan (musser) that I got my Endurex and 943 from. What would you say the best lifter/spring combo would be for the track, and what for street/strip?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

If you are selling your lifter let me no i will by them...not the spring ...

Jason what have you don to get your SR set up to live on the street and much driving did you do km a year...

whow do you get email if there is a new post......
Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Teching In

i believe that the max lift on those springs is .650 correct? if so i might be intersted in them. what all do the springs come with?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

pm me guys i dotn want to clutter this post
Old 09-26-2004, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some thing many over look is running a higher idle will oil the cam more

Most do not like this as it takes away the lobe they want so much...
Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
The trick to making a SR living on the street is oiling to the roller lifters. Some guys cut grooves in the lifter body from the oil galley area down to the axles of the roller bearings. This gives a good fresh supply of oil to the bearings during slow cruising speeds. The Comp Endur-X <not positive on the name> rollers lifters have this same type of groove already machined in them.

The intense spring pressures and lack of oiling are what kills them. Extended street use eats up springs too, depending how radical you go with lift and rpms.

Mike
Good info you posted. EngineWorks makes a new SR lifter with a patended new state of the art design to facilitate the infamous SR oil issues. I've known several people w/SR street cars and have no issues. Think I read somewhere in this post someone saying you have to adjust valves every oil change, that's BS, if you know what your doing and have your valvetrain setup right you'll be fine on the street.

As for hydraulic lifters, Comp 875's better known as CompR's are good for 7500 rpm according to Comps Tech Service, Crane also makes a badass HR setup which spins that high. With either setup HR/SR they are both capable systems when setup right.

Quick Reply: how to get a Soild roller cam to live on the street