LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Supercharging an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004 | 11:49 AM
Teching In

Default Supercharging an LT1

Ok, I happened across this... Alright, I was looking up superchargers dammit! I said when I bought this Fleetwood, I was gonna not modify the engine, but that was gone quick. So, I'm looking. My question is, what sorts of things should I watch for as far as internal work, etc to safely attach this supercharger. Are the stock internals going to take this? The transmission, the rear end? Engine mounts, water pump, anything? Or is the kit pretty well designed to take care of everything so I don't punch holes in my pistons, snap or bend rods, send a piston through the oil pan, etc?

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...4-97fbody.html

This system features a fully integrated air to water aftercooler approach to charge cooling. Vortech chose the air to water system primarily because it closely maintains the boost level found at the compressor. Horsepower for the aftercooled system is pumped up to 438 and torque gets up to 430 ft/lbs. You will be impressed by the way the system installs on the car and by the factory appearance. For a list of additional components included in the aftercooler system click here. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...1-020_list.gif

Supercharging System with V-2 SQ & Aftercooler for 1993 GM 5.7 LT1 F-Body

* Adds 163 horsepower
* Adds 100 ft/lbs of torque
* Includes SQ-Trim supercharger
* Includes Maxflow Power Cooler
* Satin finish
Old 09-14-2004 | 12:11 PM
Teching In

Ok, found out that one wont quite fit my Fleetwood, I have to go elsewhere for an Impala SS's kit. Instead adds 143 horses, and possibly as much as 180 ft lbs of torque. (55% increase) Has to relocate some power steering pumps, etc. But the same question about internals still applies.
Old 09-14-2004 | 01:09 PM
STF Veteran

I've heard that 6psi is about as high as you want to go on stock internals. Even that could end up . Most people go for a forged bottom end (crank, pistons, rods). PM Enisguy, he's an LT1 guru and has a blown '94 LT1.
Old 09-14-2004 | 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll generally want to build your fuel system for anything above 6psi. As for power, every motor responds different to forced induction. High flowing ported ehads and a cam with little intake duration and overlap and high lift will help get the most of the boost. You can run over 6psi of boost on stock internals as long as you get enough fuel into the motor to support the air pressure, but keep in mind that on the weak stock hyper pistons you have little room for error. The stock pistons won't put up with much detonation, and at high levels of boost it may only be one detonation that causes you to drop a piston.
Old 09-14-2004 | 03:40 PM
Teching In

I honestly dont plan on high levels of boost. But recommendation would be to pick up some forged bottom end stuff before boosting eh? And the Impala Kit I'm eyeing actually carries lines and an upgraded pump too. The guy even recommended getting about an 11-11.5:1 AF ratio if I recall right. It may be I take the road of build the car up slowly everywhere else, in preperation for the s/c.
Old 09-14-2004 | 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShadowLvr
It may be I take the road of build the car up slowly everywhere else, in preperation for the s/c.
That's the best route to go. If you want to build the bottomend and are low on money, you can keep the stock crank and work from there. 6psi will be very easy to handle for a built low compression motor.
Old 09-15-2004 | 03:53 PM
Teching In

I like the ATI procharger system, you might want to check that one out. It has its own oiling system so you don't have to tap a hole in the oil pan. http://www.procharger.com/
Old 09-16-2004 | 05:02 PM
Teching In

Just adding to bilt's post. You can get the system you need right here: http://www.cmotorsports.com/94-96-im...harger-systems
Old 09-16-2004 | 08:47 PM
Teching In

Does that include the parts that need to be relocated? Because the guy I had talked to mentioned moving the powere steering pump and some other stuff. The price they had was like 7k.
Old 09-17-2004 | 05:39 AM
On The Tree

I have heard that a lot of people have had nothing but problems supercharging their stock LT1's.
Old 09-17-2004 | 07:02 AM
Teching In

I was out in Vegas this summer and got to check out Combination Motorsports. They had some killer cars and trucks around there. Give them a call and see what they have to say.
Old 09-17-2004 | 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zepp
I have heard that a lot of people have had nothing but problems supercharging their stock LT1's.
My LT1 isn't stock, and I've had nothing but problems with the blown setup. Best time to date is 13.2@107mph
Old 09-17-2004 | 01:45 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure you don't have to relocate anything with the ATI Procharger setup.

Quick Reply: Supercharging an LT1