LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Difference between Corvette LT1 and F-body LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference between Corvette LT1 and F-body LT1?

Someone asked me the other day was type of engine i had in my car. I told them it was an LT1 with aluminum heads, the same as a Corvette. I told them the main difference between the two were the exhaust manifolds, intake, and tuning but other than that they were the same. Then he said he used to have a Caprice with an LT1 and said "So they have the corvette engine in them too?" And i told him that the Caprices had cast iron heads and a few other differences. Was i right in saying all of this? I really don't know too much about them, i was just trying to describe the engine on a level they would understand.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Someone asked me the other day was type of engine i had in my car. I told them it was an LT1 with aluminum heads, the same as a Corvette. I told them the main difference between the two were the exhaust manifolds, intake, and tuning but other than that they were the same. Then he said he used to have a Caprice with an LT1 and said "So they have the corvette engine in them too?" And i told him that the Caprices had cast iron heads and a few other differences. Was i right in saying all of this? I really don't know too much about them, i was just trying to describe the engine on a level they would understand.
You were right. The engine in the F & Y bodies are identical with the exception of the exhaust manifolds and the intake (NOT the intake manifold. The intake manifolds are the same). The B-bodies had different heads, and a less aggressive cam.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also remembered another difference is the f-body LT1 is a 2 bolt main and the Corvette is a 4 bolt. Does this add an power or just durability?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I also remembered another difference is the f-body LT1 is a 2 bolt main and the Corvette is a 4 bolt. Does this add an power or just durability?
Does not add power in any way. Just added strength on the bottom end.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is only a poweradder in a roundabout way... takes more power to crack the 4bolter

Quick Reply: Difference between Corvette LT1 and F-body LT1?