LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Knock Retard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Retard?

My car is getting knock retard. Its getting anywhere from 1-3° at idle, but once I accelerate a bit(1500rpm), the knock goes away. Once I pass about 3000-3500rpm's, it comes back and shoots all over the place (4-12°). I already put in, 5 gallons of 100octane race fuel, into my 1/2 of 91 octane. The knock is still there. Do you think this is false knock? There is no relatively loud noises, or banging, other than the movement of my cam in the motor, or perhaps my headers.

I tested both the knock sensor, and the wire. They both gave me correct readings of about 3.87ohms. I have not desensitized the sensor, because I dont know if that should be my next step. Also I recently deleted my EGR system, and have not tuned it out, can this be the cause? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you have the LT4KM???
Old 09-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Also I recently deleted my EGR system, and have not tuned it out, can this be the cause? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You do need to tune the EGR out or at least get a fake reading to the computer. The computer is sending a signal to the EGR solenoid instructing the valve to open up and send a a value to back to the ECM or in your case the PCM. If the computer does not get this value the engine will prob have the same symptons you are seeing. I experienced this first hand and had a similar problem.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

I found the culprit to my knock problem, I was low on oil! I did a fresh oil change, and the knock is gone. I am still experiencing some knock, but not at idle, I think it might be either the EGR system not being tuned out, or a fuel problem..I have a Freescan file, does anyone mind taking a look?

Quick Reply: Knock Retard?