LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 HotCam work with gear drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 HotCam work with gear drive?

I'm going to be adding the fastburn 385 heads and a lt4 hot cam on a 99 vortec 5.7. Haven't done to much research on whether I can get a gear drive for this cam or not. If anyone knows it may save me some research time.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85s10blazer
I'm going to be adding the fastburn 385 heads and a lt4 hot cam on a 99 vortec 5.7. Haven't done to much research on whether I can get a gear drive for this cam or not. If anyone knows it may save me some research time.
I don't know if anyone makes one for a stepped face cam as the lt1/lt4,but you may not know what you are in for. Most don't fit under a stock or similar to stock timing cover and if you plan on running a knock sensor they will not live together. Too much noise.
Lastly the gear drive tends to put and upward force as the gears spin and tend to beat up on the top of the front cam bearing. Stick with a good chain set up and you will be happier and have more money in your pocket
Old 12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking with my dad's friend a while back. He just developed a belt drive system for old chryslers.(no one made them, not even jesel). He's had ten made ($1600 a pop) and all are already sold to people racing chryslers. Anyways, he dyno tested a timing chain, gear drive, and belt drive system, on a sbc 350.(don't know specs, but built) On there engine, the belt drive system made more than both gear and chain, but the chain made more power than the gear drive. Belt was 25 hp more than chain and 40hp more than gear drive. Had no idea could be that much. He said gear drives are good for racing, but not for street cause they soak too much power and generally not needed. Don't know whether yours is for race or street, but just thought I'd let you know(if you didn't already).
Old 12-04-2004, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Not all gear drives are noisy..