LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fastest lt1 n/a with ac delco pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Jimmy does a bit of stuff for me too, he makes some trick pullies and some other stuff
Old 11-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Sure, if you want to. I have no idea what it will run in decent air, on all eight cylinders. Didn't get to find out at no problem. Missed a good chance.

Thanks, Ed
Ok thanks. btw what was your mph on the 10.44 run? And do you have any details you would like me to include(model of car, engine size, etc.). If you want them to remain unknown thats fine as well.

Last edited by meangreen94z; 11-17-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ellis,
Wish you had been there too.

Thanks man! Buying the house last year put a stop to that but I am hoping for a future race

What do you think of the vacuum modulator deal for the 4L60E? Ron put one in it this time, TransGo told him it would be a better deal. Hits kinda hard when you drop it into Drive. No big deal there. I still help him & his brother James with their Super Stocker some, and they like to borrow the dyno. Easier on gears & clutches than testing at the track. Free, too. <G>

Well In the beginning I was not sure of them but I have come to use them on any car I do not personally tune. WAY to easy for some one to make a slip and kill the trans in a heart beat! It has became a no brainer on High HP cars. It keeps 'TAPS" from pulling pressure out to soften shifts. On LS1 car I ALWAYS use them as they hack up a MAF faster then an LT1 guy can think about it LOL. Seeing the MAF is the main Trans pressure control on the LS base it just makes sense. I will [b]NOT[/b[ ship a blower car or truck with out one. The boxed tunning they ship with them is so crappy the trans is usually dead in a WEEK! BTW That Avalanch I had you do broke the rear end with in a month of us Building the trans. he has over 30k miles on it now He sent that box back to magnacharger and told them to keep it LOL

I say good call

Is your buddy still doing Ben Watson's engines? He has began making the show this year, and gone a round or two. That is a tough deal to crack. Frankie has picked up Mike's (Edwards) power, so he is going faster. Had a few bad driving weekends, but left on everybody at the finals in Pomona last weekend. Anderson just flat outran him, and everybody else. One of my old traveling buddies (Pete Peery) won Super Stock, nobody else hit their butts.
I get to thinking I would like to do that again, then Jeanie kicks me in the rear & wakes me up. <BG>

Ed
Well Grumpy is out there! Find a driver and Raise Hell!

Our Best wish's on the age thing I am fighting as well as I can but it keeps rolling up! I am almost 2/3rd the way to you LOL

Later Ed!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ed that was fri night i took the 25lb ballast out to run in the good air and sun i put it back in. i also had to weigh 3350 and was at 3355 to 3362 all day. i will keep u posted and mine shuts down at 7250.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:10 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
Ok thanks. btw what was your mph on the 10.44 run? And do you have any details you would like me to include(model of car, engine size, etc.). If you want them to remain unknown thats fine as well.
127.44 mph. Usually goes 1.33/1.34 60', if the wheels come down in time. 1.37/1.38 if not. It's just a black '96 TA with a na 383", LT4 heads & intake, 4L60E, 4000 Vigilante TC, Mosier 12 bolt, '94/'95 PCM. Nothing trick or secret.

Ed
Old 11-18-2004, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

I ran 10.28@128 back in 99' with a factory ecm, 4l60e, 381 ci. w/ stock rods,hype pistons and gm steel crank.

lil info on my current heads, they are lt1 afr 227's reverse cooled,,,a phone call to afr upon ordering them they can be cast with conventional intake bolt pattern and perimeter valve cover provisions,which throws alot of people off whom do not know ..I run a factory 94' optispark (no crank trigger) factory 94 timing chain (there is no options pre 95') its a lt1 minus intake,but a lt1 none the less...and for the real kicker its the oem matching numbers block that came in the car in 94' that I have utilized ... 98% of everything from tuning to chassis ,to actual engine assembly I done myself,the 1% being machine work that I didnt do the other 1% knowledge from a very wise 70's prostock racer..despite the idle jargon on what a lt1 is or isnt .Induction doesnt exclude it from being a lt1,the block itself is what determines that..gm only ran this casting from 92-97 and thier is no other like it...1 look from anyone that knows what they are looking at can easily distinquish whether its a lt1 or not.... Some people are more about doing more with less,been there done that...I for one and are most others,are about getting the most out of the factory gm block adorned in these cars.... If we all wanted to run S/E I can see keeping the car down with oem heads,and restrictive plenum....But if fast is what your after, you are only going to go so far.Then innovation and trial and error come into play...but ultimately the bore /stroke limitation in these blocks is the heel...so I guess its up to the owner and what they are after...

Last edited by Joe Overton; 11-18-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

i agree with you joe. i wanted somthing different when i built mine and have had no regrets the whole way. it is still the original block that came in the car the heads r afr reverse cool and carb intake with elbow and modified for efi. it is what i choose to run but it is still an lt-1.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
I ran 10.28@128 back in 99' with a factory ecm, 4l60e, 381 ci. w/ stock rods,hype pistons and gm steel crank.

lil info on my current heads, they are lt1 afr 227's reverse cooled,,,a phone call to afr upon ordering them they can be cast with conventional intake bolt pattern and perimeter valve cover provisions,which throws alot of people off whom do not know ..I run a factory 94' optispark (no crank trigger) factory 94 timing chain (there is no options pre 95') its a lt1 minus intake,but a lt1 none the less...and for the real kicker its the oem matching numbers block that came in the car in 94' that I have utilized ... 98% of everything from tuning to chassis ,to actual engine assembly I done myself,the 1% being machine work that I didnt do the other 1% knowledge from a very wise 70's prostock racer..despite the idle jargon on what a lt1 is or isnt .Induction doesnt exclude it from being a lt1,the block itself is what determines that..gm only ran this casting from 92-97 and thier is no other like it...1 look from anyone that knows what they are looking at can easily distinquish whether its a lt1 or not.... Some people are more about doing more with less,been there done that...I for one and are most others,are about getting the most out of the factory gm block adorned in these cars.... If we all wanted to run S/E I can see keeping the car down with oem heads,and restrictive plenum....But if fast is what your after, you are only going to go so far.Then innovation and trial and error come into play...but ultimately the bore /stroke limitation in these blocks is the heel...so I guess its up to the owner and what they are after...

Yup my Dad and I are after the FULL street trim LT1 all motor record, All factory equipment, a/c, power steering, drag radials and a 4L60E, Won't have a stock intake, but will be an EFI intake, not a carb converted intake, will have Pro-Action 235's converted to revers flow. Factory ecm and opti and close to 3700 lbs. Anyone know what that record is, or even if there is one? Maybe we can set it

David
Old 11-18-2004, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i have a 93 TA, with 94 pcm, 383 afr 195's with a little port work, 2.02-1.60 valves, compression around 11.1, running 306 cam, port matched LT4 manifold, wondering i want to get to the tens all motor, should i just slapp a big solid roller in it with these heads, or are the heads not up to the task, i would like to do and keep the six speed, my best pass so far was 11.70 at 121, bad traction and opti on its way out, if i need to i will step it up to 227s and a single plane 4 barrel manifold with injection set up, but if i can make it with these heads and 94 pcm it would be diffently cool.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
i have a 93 TA, with 94 pcm, 383 afr 195's with a little port work, 2.02-1.60 valves, compression around 11.1, running 306 cam, port matched LT4 manifold, wondering i want to get to the tens all motor, should i just slapp a big solid roller in it with these heads, or are the heads not up to the task, i would like to do and keep the six speed, my best pass so far was 11.70 at 121, bad traction and opti on its way out, if i need to i will step it up to 227s and a single plane 4 barrel manifold with injection set up, but if i can make it with these heads and 94 pcm it would be diffently cool.
you should run 10's with that setup,,first thing I'd chuck would be that cc306....you can hit tens with a hyd. roller..I got a near full weight 95 TA with over 120k miles clocked on the bottom end with stock lt1 ported heads and intake and ran 11.05@120 he's running this weekend so I'd expect to see 10's this time around...so yes your setup should run the number your looking for...
Old 11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

127.44 mph. Usually goes 1.33/1.34 60', if the wheels come down in time. 1.37/1.38 if not. It's just a black '96 TA with a na 383", LT4 heads & intake, 4L60E, 4000 Vigilante TC, Mosier 12 bolt, '94/'95 PCM. Nothing trick or secret.

Ed
Ok got it, thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But if fast is what your after, you are only going to go so far.Then innovation and trial and error come into play...but ultimately the bore /stroke limitation in these blocks is the heel...so I guess its up to the owner and what they are after...

And that right there is what is going to drive me to a reverse cooled GEN-I. 427-454 cubes can make a differance I hear

I already have every thing figured out to use the factory PCM and 7,100 with say a 427 Gen-I should still get me what I am wanting It will look pretty much like a LT1 save for the Hogans EFI intake
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

What Mass airflow sensor are you stock ecm guys running?

David
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you should run 10's with that setup,,first thing I'd chuck would be that cc306....you can hit tens with a hyd. roller..I got a near full weight 95 TA with over 120k miles clocked on the bottom end with stock lt1 ported heads and intake and ran 11.05@120 he's running this weekend so I'd expect to see 10's this time around...so yes your setup should run the number your looking for...
thanks alot for the insight, what aprox. cam specs would you suggest , and would you suggest running comp R lifters ( i got those in my vette have not had a problem yet), and the LT4 manifold would it prove to be a restriction at this power level?, sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What Mass airflow sensor are you stock ecm guys running?

David
TTT, Still would like to know what MAF you guys are running.

David
Old 12-21-2004, 08:01 AM
9-Second Club

TTT, Still would like to know what MAF you guys are running.

David
David, I use a stock 2000 or so 5.3L/6.0L truck MAF. 85mm, still has the screen & air straightening vane in the middle. Not a big deal, however. Only 4 1/2 rwhp better than a stock non-hacked up unit on my car. Mine went a best of 10.26 & 10.28 @ 131.72 a couple of weeks ago. DA stayed around 600' all afternoon. Not killer air, but decent. I also still use the original 4L60E trans.

Take care, Ed
Old 12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

David, I use a stock 2000 or so 5.3L/6.0L truck MAF. 85mm, still has the screen & air straightening vane in the middle. Not a big deal, however. Only 4 1/2 rwhp better than a stock non-hacked up unit on my car. Mine went a best of 10.26 & 10.28 @ 131.72 a couple of weeks ago. DA stayed around 600' all afternoon. Not killer air, but decent. I also still use the original 4L60E trans.

Take care, Ed

Thanks Ed, I have one of your old mail order tunes that I used on my old combo and it ran great.

I have a stock descreened LT1 maf with Mallory billet ends, I have been told the stock MAF goes static at 471 gps, is this the case? ANd if so is there a way around it? WIll the stock MAF flow 910 CFM of air and read it correctly? Engine analyzer pro says we use 910 CFM of air at peak HP....I am on the same track as you and want to do what you have done but at 3650 lbs, how much does your car weigh and are you on pump gas, how much RWHP does it make? ANd will I have the 4L60E "no shift" problem with a converter flash of 4000 rpm or so? I have the vacuum modulator installed,BTW I know I ask alot of questions, but I need alot of info. My Dad and I are building a kind of unique combo.

Thanks

David
Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

friend of mine here just went 9.89 @ 132 with stock PCM mail order tuned !!!

single 300 shot out of the hole
forged 355
home ported lt1 heads/intake
GM847 cam
T-350 tranny
home built 9" rear
28" ET streets

id say thats one of the fastest LT1's without a really exotic or expensive engine setup.

yesterday he told me hes tearing it down and going to a 396 with a 400 shot.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AFRs aren't LT1s. Seems like they had parameter valve cover bolts. Could have been somebody else's. Aren't AFR LT1 valve cover bolts in the center?
Also had a 4bl intake & billet 4lb throttle body. Didn't look "very LT1". Looked more like an NHRA Comp Eliminator, Super Modified (single 4bl) engine with efi. Still very fast, just not what I expected.

Ed

if i remember correctly, JoeO broke into the high 9's with stock ported lt1 castings..........then he upgraded to the AFR's to start running the lower 9's.
youd have the PM him to be sure tho.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
9-Second Club

Thanks Ed, I have one of your old mail order tunes that I used on my old combo and it ran great.

I have a stock descreened LT1 maf with Mallory billet ends, I have been told the stock MAF goes static at 471 gps, is this the case? ANd if so is there a way around it? WIll the stock MAF flow 910 CFM of air and read it correctly? Engine analyzer pro says we use 910 CFM of air at peak HP....I am on the same track as you and want to do what you have done but at 3650 lbs, how much does your car weigh and are you on pump gas, how much RWHP does it make? ANd will I have the 4L60E "no shift" problem with a converter flash of 4000 rpm or so? I have the vacuum modulator installed,BTW I know I ask alot of questions, but I need alot of info. My Dad and I are building a kind of unique combo.

Thanks

David
David,
How big an engine, I'm assuming you are NA, do you have that requires over 900 cfm? Mine is NA, and makes 467 at the wheels, through a non-lockup 4000 TC & 4.56 gears. Made 475 through a stock converter with a 3.73 gear. I tuned it that way when I first put the engine in, so I would not be seeing bogus high torque numbers. I wanted to know what it actually had (435 ft lbs at the time) and at what RPM. I have changed cams twice since then, so don't know what it would make like that now. I'm running almost a second faster now than then, but all of that difference is not under the hood. My 60' best times last time I ran it were 1.312 to 1.325, they were 1.50 or so when I started. Often, it now carries the fronts past the 60' beams, so they look like 1.38 or so when it breaks the 60' beams with the rear tires. I still drive it on the street some, not as much as I used to. Kinda loud now. They are getting guys for modified exhaust around here lately.Generating some revenue, I guess.

The MAF won't go static without a blower or turbo. At least not on any NA LT1 I have seen. Mine sure wouldn't. Never saw a 396" or 408" do it either. Some might have, I don't remember seeing it. These PCMs are only good for 7300 or so, I shift mine at 7200. Takes a pretty healthy NA LT1 to use 900 cfm very much this side of 8000 RPM.

The OBDII PCMs don't have a high stall problem, only the OBDI boxes. I use a '95 OBDI box in my car, and have a fix for the high stall converter problem. I can update your PCM for that if you want.

I don't get on the net much, just got a notice of a relay to this thread. If you need to, you can email me at ed-wright@sbcglobal.net

Good luck, Ed

Quick Reply: fastest lt1 n/a with ac delco pcm?