LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 aluminum carburator intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 aluminum carburator intake?

Hi i was wondering if the LT1 aluminum carburator intake from GM Performance parts was good, if it hurt, helped or didnt make any changes to the performance of the motor, thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not exactly an all out performance unit, mainly meant for people who wnat to swap LT1s in stuff like street rods, and dont ant to fuss over fuel injecting it and want to ran a standard SBC dist.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Teching In

could i use if for racing if i wanted too because i'm not exactly on a budget for the fuel injection and all i have is an LT1 long block
Old 12-27-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your gonna want all out, go for an edelbrock Victor SBC intake and MAKE it fit. then fuel inject that...
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
if your gonna want all out, go for an edelbrock Victor SBC intake and MAKE it fit. then fuel inject that...
What do i need to do to make it fit?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up Carb. LT1 intake

I use this intake and i feel it is very good as is. this is a high rise dual plane design. you can also modify it for future mods. like carb.spacers or removing 1/2" from center divider whn more HP/ RPM is needed. whats great about this intake is (compred to gen1 sbc) theres no coolant or exh. crossovers going through it. just air and fuel, which makes for a much denser charge. my prev. combo went 13.7 @104.20 with a 30k stock 93 LT1 in a 3600LB 4-spd car (79 cutlass) spinning first w/street tires. 2.01 best 60ft. yuck! must get traction!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Ditto on converting a single plane, thats what i did. Do a search on cz28 for lt1 single plane, all the info is there.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...06_14_full.jpg
Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
I use this intake and i feel it is very good as is. this is a high rise dual plane design. you can also modify it for future mods. like carb.spacers or removing 1/2" from center divider whn more HP/ RPM is needed. whats great about this intake is (compred to gen1 sbc) theres no coolant or exh. crossovers going through it. just air and fuel, which makes for a much denser charge.
I agree.

It also has the advantage of bolting right up to the stock heads with no modifications, as apposed to an Edelbrock Victor Jr which requires you to drill holes into your cylinder heads to match the bolt pattern on the intake and weld up the old ones. Probably not the easiest in the world thing to do.

The GMPP duel plane also has the advantage of being able to use a carb and still have enough clearance to fit under the stock hood. With the Edelbrock, you can expect to have to cut a chuck out of your dash in order to get it to fit. You'd also have to forget about the stock hood. You'd need a cowl induction for the neccessary clearance.

If your building an all out race motor, then by all means, go with the Edelbrock, it's not like you'd care to much about hood clearance or cutting up the car anyways

Just for the record, I'm going to be picking up the GMPP LT4 carb intake and grinding out an 1' or so out of the divider and possibly adding a spacer (depends on clearance) for my 396 build-up. It won't be a "true" single plane, but it will have almost the same top end but with overall higher torque throughout the lower to mid RPM's. It's going to be a "serious" street car, but NOT a race car. I'd go with the edelbrock if it was.

Last edited by '93 LT1; 12-29-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

when adding the carb intake what do you do with the computer? is it still needed and left in the car?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 17WITHaBIRD
when adding the carb intake what do you do with the computer? is it still needed and left in the car?
Nope. That's why I'm switching to a carb.

No more black box stuffed in the corner of the engine compartment. No more wireing harness. No more sensors. NO MORE OPTISPARK Just an old fashion tried and true carb'd small block (in my case a 396 small block ) Nice. Clean. Simple. Effective. The way a muscle car is supposed to be !!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Teching In

thanx everybody for the very much needed help. if anybody has anymore in put its very much appreciated. also on the edelbrock intake, where the intake meets the head, is that the same angle?

Last edited by iroc89; 12-29-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Should be the same angle unless the heads/block deck have been played with. Nothing a little cheap machining wont fix.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Is there anyway i can get hp out of the GMPP intake, if not is it just basicly redrilling 27 deg. holes on the edelbrock.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iroc89
Is there anyway i can get hp out of the GMPP intake, if not is it just basicly redrilling 27 deg. holes on the edelbrock.
I've seen guys hit 500HP with an un-modified GM duel plane intake. If you want more, you can always grind out the centre section of the divider and add a 1" spacer.

That's the route I'm taking and it's a hell of a lot easier then re-drilling new bolt-holes on your heads to match those of the Edelbrock Victor intake. What happens if the holes aren't drilled properly? You'd better have the $$ for new heads ! Do you really know somebody you trust enough to do a job like that perfectly the first time?? Your call.....
Old 01-01-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

The dual plane from GM is to switch over to a carb. The Edelbrock Victor E single plane has bungs already for the injectors and they will fit, all you have to do is make a plate that goes over the thermostat since you wont be using it. Also you have to drill holes to make it bolt to the lt1 castings but it fits just fine. That would be your best bet....

Nevermind, I didnt read the complete post. The dual plane should work fine, I also have a new one in its box in my garage.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

did u want to sell your . that one in the garage
Old 01-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Teching In

ok so the GMPP intake is a dual plane and by grinding out the center section i can make it a single plane, do i have that correct. and with a single plane and a carb spacer i can get more horsepower. is that corect from what i've been reading. just wanna make sure i got the right info.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iroc89
ok so the GMPP intake is a dual plane and by grinding out the center section i can make it a single plane, do i have that correct. and with a single plane and a carb spacer i can get more horsepower. is that corect from what i've been reading. just wanna make sure i got the right info.
Well, grinding out about an 1" from the centre section and adding a spacer WILL increase your peak HP number's but even still, it won't be a "true" single plane intake. Whether or not that's a problem for your specific application, I don't know. A "true" single plane will make a bit more horse power, yes, and you usually see them on applications where "MAXIMUM" out-put is the only goal (ie. race car).

Generally, rule of thumb is, single planes sacrifice low to mid range torque for high RPM horsepower. Duel planes, are the opposite. They'll sacrifice a bit on the top end, but tend to make more torque in the lower to mid range.

The way I see it, it's easier to get a duel plane to flow better at higher RPM's (using the method's already mentioned) then it is to get a huge single plane to make more power down low.

Be honest with yourself and what your goals are for your car. If it's going to be an all out race car, go with the single plane. It'll flow more then the duel no matter what you do to it.

If it's a street car, I'd say go with the duel plane. I don't see why anyone would want to loose out on low end torque just to make a few more horses at 7000 or whatever RPM. How often are you spinning the motor that fast anyway on the street?

Race Car = single plane
Street/strip Car - Duel plane

Just for the record, I've seen plenty of guys with (traditional) small blocks making upwards of 550+ HP with duel planes normally aspirated. Even more (obviously) with a power adder.

Choice is yours. I know I'm going with the GMPP duel plane. My car afterall, is going to spend more time out on the street then it will at the track.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by '93 LT1; 01-02-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Teching In

sweet thanx for the insight its helped a bunch. if anybody else has any feel free to share i'll take all the advise i can get.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Teching In

i was wondering what kinda performance would i have if i used the GMPP intake w/ a 2" spacer?

Quick Reply: LT1 aluminum carburator intake?