LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need a new clutch durable enuf for 450 ft lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new clutch durable enuf for 450 ft lbs?

Hey Im new to this post and i just bought my 95 LT1 on December 27. It has 129 k miles and after i put about 400 miles on it the clutch has went out, out out. I love this car and want to drive it really bad but I can't cuz I ran the car until the clutch was pretty much totally burnt out. I want to put another clutch on it PDQ (pre damn quick), but i want to make sure it is goin to last. After i pamper it for about a month and make sure i know how to drive my car i plan on racing it. It has an after market ram air hood and a K&N filter and a cut out. Im quessing around 315 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque max. I would probably lay down 4 or 5 hundred on a clutch to make sure its gonna last if thats what it needs. Hopefully i can get one for cheaper than that that is durable enough for about 450 ft lbs of torque? I think that would get the job done? Someone plz help me im dieing seeing my sexy car with a 30 day tag just sit in the driveway. THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first off I would lower your HP and Tq expectations a bit...maybe 290ish rwhp and 315 rwtq...maybe...depends on a number of things but thats a decent guess. I would go with a star stage 3 clutch or spec 3F clutch. Spec has good customer service and even with the problems they have had such as excessive chatter and premature wear they stand behind their product and make things right. The ram 980 is good too....it may be a little overkill for your current setup but at least you won't burn it up. A couple things you need....your flywheel may need to be turned, or get a new one for insurance sake. Also, replace the master/slave cylinder for smooth operation. One more thing...stay away from centerforce! Many local shops recommended them to me and I bought the expensive dual friction one and when my tranny was just out it was all burnt up and broken plates etc. So I put in a star stage 3. You can read up at gmhtp.com about their experience with it on "thunderchicken". Good luck and hope everything goes smooth for ya!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

A SPEC Stage II clutch would suit your needs nicely. Here is a link to their site

http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html
Old 01-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jordan57
Well first off I would lower your HP and Tq expectations a bit...maybe 290ish rwhp and 315 rwtq...maybe...depends on a number of things but thats a decent guess. I would go with a star stage 3 clutch or spec 3F clutch. Spec has good customer service and even with the problems they have had such as excessive chatter and premature wear they stand behind their product and make things right. The ram 980 is good too....it may be a little overkill for your current setup but at least you won't burn it up. A couple things you need....your flywheel may need to be turned, or get a new one for insurance sake. Also, replace the master/slave cylinder for smooth operation. One more thing...stay away from centerforce! Many local shops recommended them to me and I bought the expensive dual friction one and when my tranny was just out it was all burnt up and broken plates etc. So I put in a star stage 3. You can read up at gmhtp.com about their experience with it on "thunderchicken". Good luck and hope everything goes smooth for ya!
thanks man. I bet you are right about 315 being the highest, but shouldn't a spec stage 1 work for me? Is it bad to have a clutch with lots of extra durability, or should i find one that suits my TA? I do want to be able to dump the clutch and drive it like its a sports car without worrying about my clutch burning up again. If i fix something, I don't wanna have to fix it again. I researched the clutches you listed, and i think they are for LS1's? the spec stage 2 has kevlar?? how does that work?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have spec stage 2.....what a great clutch . Compared to stock it has really nice manners and grabs but yet softer to the foot.

Quick Reply: I need a new clutch durable enuf for 450 ft lbs?