LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problems, Problems, Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems, Problems, Problems....

My car whenever I am pulling out in first gear and engaging the clutch it vibrates REAL bad....like the dash shakes and ****. It doesn't do it all the time but a LOT of the time....

What the hell is going on with the clutch? Has a SPEC Stage 2 in it and the guy who put it in said that he did everything to the flywheel that was needed...I'm confused
Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the Pilot bearing is not there or worn out.

I had a car last year they broke the bearing while installing the clutch. cost a new motor and Transmission.

check it out soon
Old 02-07-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear the spec clutches have some chatter to them especially when brand new, no matter what you've done to the flywheel. Don't know if it would be that bad though.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like clutch chatter to me? does it feel like a hopping jolting type deal? spec stage II should have some chatter, shouldnt be real bad though, did you break it in properly?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

I have a spec stage II and yes it is chatter. It takes a couple thousand miles for proper break in and it will still chatter a little if you aren't smooth with the clutch. It takes some getting used to but once you nail it you will love it. The trick is you need a little more revs with this clutch and just as you get close to the end of engagement, to then hold it there for a split sec. I don't know how much power or traction you are making but take it easy the first time you can get on it. When I hit second hard now with my Kumho Ectsa Supra ZRs (terrible tires for straight line acceleration in any form) it spins like nuts and tends to go a little squirelly. This is a good thing because the clutch isn't slipping at all

-Jon
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really only get chatter on reverse, and on a cold start it is worse.
I never really notice chatter in 1st too much. But the clutch is grabbier and you cant really leave the pedal half engaged too long. Thats when i noticed that reverse was giving chatter. What i do is give it a little gas and let the clutch out a litte faster and the problem was solved.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I really only get chatter on reverse, and on a cold start it is worse.
I never really notice chatter in 1st too much. But the clutch is grabbier and you cant really leave the pedal half engaged too long. Thats when i noticed that reverse was giving chatter. What i do is give it a little gas and let the clutch out a litte faster and the problem was solved.
I hope you don't drive while the engine is cold. How many miles do you have on the clutch? Break in is critical. And yeah, you can't let these out too far too slow like a stocker at low RPMs. I put 2000+ miles of normal driving (obviously highway driving doesn't count) on mine. Then I went to the track and when I hit second the clutch slipped on 1 or 2 runs (so apparently that wasn't enough break in), after that it was incredible.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Mine does it. It works better if you rev it higher and let off quicker. Let me ask you all this. When mine has been sitting for a while, the first time I let out in any gear it grabs real hard kinda like its been frozen or something. Does anyone elses do this?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Hey I only have a stock clutch but when i got a new one it shattered horribly when letting it out, even worse in reverse, turns out the bearing was like faulty or like accidently glued or sumehow bonded on so it coudlent move? i forgot exactly what they said but anywayz it was faulty from the start, i have heard some people getting bad clutches from spec, maybe it is just faulty. Did you just get the clutch?
BEN
Old 02-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

I goofed up, I have the stage III which is ceramic and carbon composite which will chatter because of the grab that comes with this material. So if you only have the stage I or II and it is broken in you should have other things checked out.
I seriously doubt it is a problem with Spec. I know several people with Specs and have talked to dozen of others who use them at the track not to mention serious race shops (like the guys at Livernois who rock!) and not a single one had anything but praise for them. And no I am not being paid but I will take donations
-Jon
Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the comments......I'll try and rev higher and let out quicker

Quick Reply: Problems, Problems, Problems....