Old 02-27-2005, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Ignorant Owner of an LS1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=4&pp=10
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Dude, I don't even want to get into that cat-fight. WHy are pp like that,,,The guy w/ the most $$ wins...LT1, LS1...whatever..
Old 02-27-2005, 09:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Dude, I don't even want to get into that cat-fight. WHy are pp like that,,,The guy w/ the most $$ wins...LT1, LS1...whatever..
The LT1 is so flow limited (small valves), you will need aftermarket heads to make really good power. (I'm not talking just 400 rwhp)That is where the LS1 kicks the LT1's butt, cylinder heads. I own two LT1 F body cars, and one LS1 car. The LS1 is damn sure faster. Both stock, or both with the same level of expertise & money invested in both. Won't find just a whole lot of NA 11 second LT1s that have never had a valve cover off, plenty of LS1s around like that. Not bashing the LT1, just being realistic. I love my LT1s. I work with both engines every day, I know what both can do. Takes aftermarket heads to make an LT1 out run an equally well built, tuned & driven LS1 (using ported factory castings) of equal weight & cubic inches. If you take a factory casting LT1 and outrun a modified LS1, you just did a better job than they did. There is such a big spread in power from the factory with both engines, you can find a really good running LT1 that will outrun a weak LS1. On average, the LS1 will be faster. I can't honestly tell you my LT1 (the one still stock) has a lot more torque than my LS1, both will blow the (street) tires off. After a very short distance, and the LS1 flat runs away from the LT1. I think anybody that actually hates or slams either engine likely has some problems, and probably needs pitied or ignored.

The LS2 is the one I really like. The stockers I have tuned made 340 to 350 ft lbs @ 2500 rpm! The GTO (340 ft lbs) had 140 miles on it, absolutly untouched before I got hold of it, and the Vette (350 ft lbs) has a Corsa cat-back. 361 ft lbs peak tq for the GTO. Put a blower on the Vette, needs finished. Sweet engine. My '98 WS6 convertible might need one of those.

Take care, Ed

10.26, 131.72, 1.31 60', 600 DA foot braking it
NA 383" LT1, 4L60E, 3350 lbs, LT4 heads & intake, street legal.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont even bother anymore. people act as if a tenth of a second is a major *** whoopin. dont care if your taking those kinda of times and speeds. its a tenth of a second. one tenth, nothing more nothing less. this is why i do not get caught up in drag racing. i honestly think it is purely pathetic that people put so much weight on an ET. i care more about MPH honestly that shows how much power the car has. so your car hooks better than mine. all of a sundden that means your engine is superior? last time i checked sticky tires and a tuned suspension make you hook.

i just dont care anymore. if you think the LT is a waste thats fine. more parts for me. more chance for me to be proud of my engines out put instead of upset over why i made 3hp less than so and so on the other side of the country who has the same exact build.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was trapping the same as a alot of cam only ls1s when I just had a cam and that was 114mph I didnt even have half the boltons I could have had...
Old 02-27-2005, 03:12 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
I was trapping the same as a alot of cam only ls1s when I just had a cam and that was 114mph I didnt even have half the boltons I could have had...
An LS1 with a cam should run more than 114 mph. However 114 mph for a cam only LT1 is pretty decent. Like I said, you just were just doing a better job than they were. Heck, we have some weak/slow stock LS1s running out here (we are close to 1000' elevation, with great traction) in the 13.60s and slower, one young kid I have seen runs right at 14 flat. I would have to stick a match to that one. Any decent LS1, with tires and a decent driver will run twelves. Some need a little tuning to get there, some do not. My '96 LT1 car, when it was stock, 3.23 gears, no headers, a stock TC & had 120,000 miles on it, ran some low 13.60s @ 106. We also have some decent running stock LS1s here including an M6 in the 12.30s. I have LS1 A4 customers all over the country running elevens, NA. Have one M6 '96 or '97 LT1 car running under 12.50 here locally, no tuning. Not all cars, mechanics, and drivers are equal. On average, the LS1s are faster. I don't belive anybody that actually works with both will tell you different. I like my LT1. That is the one I play around with, but have not bs'd myself into thinking it is faster than an equal LS1. I can't believe this is even a debate. I give up.

Ed
Old 02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wasnt saying that ls1s wont be faster I was just saying that lt1s arent slow like this guy seems to think... I know that a ls1 with a big cam in it can trap in the 120s but they usually have heads too. I was just ranting because we just had a thread that said how people are always talkin crap about lt1s like their the worst engine. I think on the street that a lt1 car is more fun because of low end torque.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
I wasnt saying that ls1s wont be faster I was just saying that lt1s arent slow like this guy seems to think... I know that a ls1 with a big cam in it can trap in the 120s but they usually have heads too. I was just ranting because we just had a thread that said how people are always talkin crap about lt1s like their the worst engine. I think on the street that a lt1 car is more fun because of low end torque.

I'm with him...Tons of fun, and ED, I don't think that anyone on this thread has said that they think LS1's are inferior to LT1's! We just feel that the need for some (not all!!!) LS1 owners to be condescending is not necessary and we could defintely do without some of the attitude. Most of the LS1 guys are great and give all the props, but their are some that just need a good attitude adjustment. Just because they have the latest, and and greatest doesn't make them any more special! We just have to add a little more gitup to get past em'

Quick Reply: Another Ignorant Owner of an LS1