LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spec Clutch Break In Period

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec Clutch Break In Period

I put my stage 2 clutch and flywheel in today and I think I'm gonna like it! Smooth as butter, no chatter whatsoever and it actually engages/disengages at the top of the pedal instead of the bottom. I've read a few times that there is a break in period for spec clutches before you should get rough with it. Is this so and how long is the break in period??

Also, I compared the flywheels today and according to my bathroom scales LOL the spec billet flywheel weighs 5 lbs more than the stock one, I was hoping for lighter!!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500 miles is the norm. As far as the flywheels are concerned I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the spec is heavier for a few reasons....
1. your stock flywheel was probably resurfaced a few times....loss of material = loss of weight
2. the cast flywheel could be a little pourous, nothing you could see but def a little weight there
3. worn teeth on stock flywheel
etc etc
Billet is carved from a solid chunk of material so its def solid and new so 5lbs on a bathroom scale which could be 2-5 lbs actually isnt out of the question. If you wanted lighter...shoulda gone Fidanza...aluminum...mmmmm

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch Break In Period