LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

airfoil problem, won't idle!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default airfoil problem, won't idle!

Okay, so I put my TB airfoil in and it choked too much air for proper idling, the car just stalled out. Should I mill the little notch in the bottom of the airfoil bigger so more air gets in? I thought you were supposed to just be able to throw in these TB airfoils and they'd work? I new beforehand that the space between TB blades was for idle air, but I didn't think the airfoil would totally choke the engine. Anybody else had this problem?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happened for me on the factory throttle body. IAC counts were maxing out at 160 with the airfoil, but that would drop to 70-80 range without the air foil. (40-50 is ideal, if you have access to a scan tool).

I enlarged the IAC slot on the airfoil quite a bit to get the numbers back down. Give it a try -- it shouldn't hurt anything. If all else fails, I would just leave the airfoil out of the equation...

[edit] For clarification, this is all assuming you have reset the computer or performed the 'IAC reset' procedure. Drive around for a while before you do any grinding.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

I never had this problem w/ my airfoil. Where did you get yours from?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I just got it off of ebay, from some random seller. It looks like every other airfoil I've ever seen. I'll throw on some other mods like headers and a y-pipe then try it again. Maybe an engine that breathes better won't stall out.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

ahh another kzoo member. You don't happen to belong to kzoo rice do you??

I purchased my air foil from a random ebay seller too. If it still stalls it out give take the TB off and give the IAC passages a good cleaning.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buffman
ahh another kzoo member. You don't happen to belong to kzoo rice do you??
Yeah actually I do, my sn is the same as here, contraststriker. Thanks for the help all!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Teching In

I have several issues with the TB air foil. On the L98 and, I’m sure the LT1, If you look at the TB there are actually 2 air passages that need air. PCV crank case fresh air intake, and the IAC. The TB air foil only has a very, very small channel cut in the back to allow air in through the small hole they put in the bottom of the air foil to feed both. It can cause many problems from poor idle to creating a vacuum in the crank case (which would suck dirt/debris in through other areas) It also throws off the unmetered air that is brought in by the PCV valve. The PCM is pre preprogrammed to expect unmetered air from the PCV. (Which is why it’s important to buy the right PCV valve when you replace it.) Also in the case of my engine that has a tons of miles on it, the opening is so small that on acceleration, the blow by gasses actually pressurizes the crank case, and pushes oil up my dip stick tube and out seals because the air passage in the air foil is too small to allow crank case over pressurization gasses back out to the TB to be sucked in by the TB. IMO your should either not run the air foil, or drill a hole in the top section of the airfoil to give the PCV AND the AIC the proper airflow they both need for the engine run properly.

Another thing to watch out for that I found on my Vette was, some idiot put a PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover where only an elbow should be, preventing the filtered air from the TB into the engine. Only ZR1 Vettes and other rare models have 2 PCV valves. There should be only one PCV.

Last edited by spharticus; 03-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

why would you waste your money on an air foil for? there worthless and cause problems....
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
why would you waste your money on an air foil for? there worthless and cause problems....
Best bet is to pony up for a BBK or any other after market TB. The other point of restriction comes from that big metal slug you have to put in the TB/PCV channel to hold the air foil in place. I took mine off for now. I might modify the air foil until I can afford a new BBK TB. If I'm board this weekend, I'll modify the air foil, post picks, and let you know the results.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
$50-70 is not a good way to spend money on a part that will likely become useless in your future.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myltwon
$50-70 is not a good way to spend money on a part that will likely become useless in your future.

Agree! I have a tiny 52mm BBK on the 95 Bird, now to save up to buy one for the Vette.

Quick Reply: airfoil problem, won't idle!