LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help with basic LT1 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with basic LT1 Mods

I recently bought a 97 ram air ws-6 Formula Firebird, with 60k original miles, and i am ready to do some tweaking. I have a few questions. I have read all of the links for lt-1 basic mods, and have surfed some other sites checking into mods. I am 46 year old,with an old school big block, high compression and cam kind of philosophy. But after reading what you guys had to say i think that i have developed a plan for my car that will satisfy me

1 It already has factory ramair, isnt this a good enough CAI?

2 I bought a used Hypertech 3 prgrammer on EBAY and a 160 thermostat, I will be sticking that thermostat in, bypassing the coolant through the throttle body, and installing a bored 52mm Throttle body from EBAY.

3 What are MAF ends? And should i descreen my MAF?

4 Headers, after hearing what all you guys have said, i will be going with Hooker or Jet Hot long tubes with the 02 sensors and air fittings. Why cant i just go true duals? Do they make a muffler that goes in over the rear for true duals? I will buy aftermarket Catalytic Converters if need be. It just doesnt make much sense to pay 250.00 for a y pipe. I dont want the exhaust rubbing on the ground though, it has to be neat.

5 LCA That car has mean wheel hop, great for burnouts, but sucks for 1/4 mile time. Where can i get BMR,s and the relocation bracket?

6 I am also toying with the idea of NOS, but thats the las thing i would do before winter.

When the winter comes i will drop that motor, make it a stroker and will be asking you guys for input on heads, pistons, cams and such, but for now i just want to get through the summer and have some fun. Any input from you guys on the above questions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

personally resell the power programmer on ebay, and see ed wright, www.pcmforless.com, or another board member who can do tuning. You'll get alot more for your money then using that programmer
Matt
Old 05-22-2005, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Try here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/298077-ultimate-lt1-newbie-faq.html
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jclark3
I recently bought a 97 ram air ws-6 Formula Firebird, with 60k original miles, and i am ready to do some tweaking. I have a few questions. I have read all of the links for lt-1 basic mods, and have surfed some other sites checking into mods. I am 46 year old,with an old school big block, high compression and cam kind of philosophy. But after reading what you guys had to say i think that i have developed a plan for my car that will satisfy me

1 It already has factory ramair, isnt this a good enough CAI?

2 I bought a used Hypertech 3 prgrammer on EBAY and a 160 thermostat, I will be sticking that thermostat in, bypassing the coolant through the throttle body, and installing a bored 52mm Throttle body from EBAY.

3 What are MAF ends? And should i descreen my MAF?

4 Headers, after hearing what all you guys have said, i will be going with Hooker or Jet Hot long tubes with the 02 sensors and air fittings. Why cant i just go true duals? Do they make a muffler that goes in over the rear for true duals? I will buy aftermarket Catalytic Converters if need be. It just doesnt make much sense to pay 250.00 for a y pipe. I dont want the exhaust rubbing on the ground though, it has to be neat.

5 LCA That car has mean wheel hop, great for burnouts, but sucks for 1/4 mile time. Where can i get BMR,s and the relocation bracket?

6 I am also toying with the idea of NOS, but thats the las thing i would do before winter.

When the winter comes i will drop that motor, make it a stroker and will be asking you guys for input on heads, pistons, cams and such, but for now i just want to get through the summer and have some fun. Any input from you guys on the above questions would be greatly appreciated!
The ram air is okay. I would personally look for a fast toys ram air setup. Might make it breather easier. Sell the hypertech, get a tune from pcmforless, or madz28 etc. Much better, powerful, and not a PITA (pain in the ***). No MAF ends...or descreening, worthless and makes tuning a pain. Glad to see you're going with LT's. As far as true duals go, they are pretty much a custom affair if you want them to go all the way back. A competent muffler shop should be able to build it though. Might have to use ovalized piping under or over the axle in 2.5". As far as NOS goes....LT1's love nitrous. Best bang for your buck. Good investment, make sure you get a window switch, safety shutoff, purge, bottle blanket and progressive controller for ease of use. Oh yeah, get a wet kit too. The BMR stuff or Spohn or Hotchkis is carried by sponsors located to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I would personally get subframe connectors, lower control arms with relocation brackets, torque arm, adjustable panhard rod, and springs. This will give you lots more traction, and a better feel on the road. Next up would be tires...bfg drag radials, nitto drag radials, etc...are going to be a wise choice to harness the beast surely to rise from these mods. Also are you M6 or A4?
m6- short shifter, spec stg3 clutch, 4.10 gears
a4- stall w/ tranny cooler, shift kit, 3.73 gears
Old 05-22-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the sticky foo!

Originally Posted by METALBEAST

Last edited by Vendetta; 05-22-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jordan57
The ram air is okay. I would personally look for a fast toys ram air setup. Might make it breather easier. Sell the hypertech, get a tune from pcmforless, or madz28 etc. Much better, powerful, and not a PITA (pain in the ***). No MAF ends...or descreening, worthless and makes tuning a pain. Glad to see you're going with LT's. As far as true duals go, they are pretty much a custom affair if you want them to go all the way back. A competent muffler shop should be able to build it though. Might have to use ovalized piping under or over the axle in 2.5". As far as NOS goes....LT1's love nitrous. Best bang for your buck. Good investment, make sure you get a window switch, safety shutoff, purge, bottle blanket and progressive controller for ease of use. Oh yeah, get a wet kit too. The BMR stuff or Spohn or Hotchkis is carried by sponsors located to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I would personally get subframe connectors, lower control arms with relocation brackets, torque arm, adjustable panhard rod, and springs. This will give you lots more traction, and a better feel on the road. Next up would be tires...bfg drag radials, nitto drag radials, etc...are going to be a wise choice to harness the beast surely to rise from these mods. Also are you M6 or A4?
m6- short shifter, spec stg3 clutch, 4.10 gears
a4- stall w/ tranny cooler, shift kit, 3.73 gears

Yea its a 6 speed i was wondering what gears to go with, 410 will probably be good. I dont do much highway driving. I read all the stuff in the LT-1 newbies section, there are a couple of different opinions there, i was just looking to hear some more. Thanks for your help. I dont want to be without the car so i guess i am going to have to find a spare PCM to send out. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Teching In

As far as duals doesnt someone just make 1 muffler with 2 ins an 2 outs, that locates right above thev rear like the original?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jclark3
As far as duals doesnt someone just make 1 muffler with 2 ins an 2 outs, that locates right above thev rear like the original?
No, true duals require an intermediate pipe with two seperate pipes. Usually they crossflow somewhere in the middle. The most popular are an H-pipe or an X-pipe. True duals also usually use two resonators since it's tough to fit two mufflers under the car.

Now that I reread it you may be talking about the GMMG catback. Check out their website for some pics of it.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Basani makes true dual for f-bodys, not cheap but quality stuff! I would just do hookers that are coated and purple horneys, lol but I like loud and cheap!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my basic mod lists every LT1 must have

LT headers
PORT/POLISH INTAKE MANI!!.. seriously.. helps out a lot.. i deff. noticed a diff..
mild cam (CC306+)
and a nice small shot of nitrous!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Teching In

saad06. did you do the intake yourself?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

about 5 years ago the cc306 cam was considered a MONSTA CAM, but lately many people have been calling it a small/mild cam kinda none the less....
- Ram Air or CAI -Suspension including the mentioned above
-Long Tubes (w/ nice flowing catbck) -Tires (prepare for a 12 bolt or 9')

Quick Reply: help with basic LT1 Mods