LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Drove my 240Z with the LT1 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove my 240Z with the LT1 today

I was able to drive the Z for the first time today.
All I can say is it's very fast and right now loud. It has an extremely raw personality, a light touch on the throttle and it explodes in sound and fury then leaps down the road. I like it very much!!!
I'm running open headers and my runs up and down the block prompted several neighbors to come out to see what was going on.

I'll have some more updates on how it drives once I get the exhuast system built and the front body panels put back on.

Doin the happy dance though.
I've been working on it for a little over 1 1/2 years and there were times I didn't think this day would ever come. Still have lots of work to do but now it's easier to motivate myself because I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I took my son for a short ride and his comment when we got back to the house was "When you hit the throttle I almost peed my pants. ".

He watched one trip up the street and told me that when I punched it a cloud of dust flew out from under the car and it shot forward. I never did go WOT so I can image it will be very intense.

ZcarGuy
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. Time to make us a vid .

Tom
Old 06-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Nice. Time to make us a vid .

Tom
Old 06-05-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome to hear... I want to buy the same year z and do a swap soo bad but just dont have the funds yet...lets see a vid or at least some pics
Old 06-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
Awesome to hear... I want to buy the same year z and do a swap soo bad but just dont have the funds yet...lets see a vid or at least some pics
OK, here are a couple pictures, but be warned it's still a work in progress and is a bit ugly!!!

Here is the engine bay.

Here is a shot from the driver's side. The bare patch on the door is where the PO had fixed a dent with bondo and it rusted underneath and started coming off so I took a grinder to it.

Right now the interior is mostly sitting on the garage floor and the hood and fenders are leaned against the wall wating to be prepped for paint. Still a lot of work to do.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, that LT1 looks great in that car, almost like it should have come with it stock . . .

Tom
Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Man, that LT1 looks great in that car, almost like it should have come with it stock . . .

Tom
That's exactly what I thought when I first dropped it in.
I still need to clean up the wiring and get rid of those green silicon hoses that came from the Cop Car but it looks good anyway. It's amazing how much room is in the engine bay of these old Datsun Z cars. Makes you wonder why Datsun/Nissan didn't put a V8 in them right from the start. The "extra" weight (about 100lbs) really doesn't affect the car at all either, this is a very easy swap that produces amazing results.

ZcarGuy
Old 06-05-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zcarguy
That's exactly what I thought when I first dropped it in.
I still need to clean up the wiring and get rid of those green silicon hoses that came from the Cop Car but it looks good anyway. It's amazing how much room is in the engine bay of these old Datsun Z cars. Makes you wonder why Datsun/Nissan didn't put a V8 in them right from the start. The "extra" weight (about 100lbs) really doesn't affect the car at all either, this is a very easy swap that produces amazing results.

ZcarGuy
Mmmm, lots of room you say. Enough room for a pair of turbos maybe ?

Tom
Old 06-05-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mmmm, lots of room you say. Enough room for a pair of turbos maybe ?

Tom
How much do those weigh?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

arent they like 2800?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you can fit 2 turbos, in fact there's one guy I know of who has a twin turbo 383 in one. Check out www.hybridz.org. This site is dedicated to crazy modded Datsun Z cars. The member's handle is TurboMeister. He has a blow through twin turbo carb system but it's certainly possible to do it with an EFI setup. One other member is working on it right now. I thought about it with my LT1 but it requires a total rebuild of the accessory drive system as well as a redesign of the bottom end to reduce the compression to acceptable levels. I also decided I didn't want to spend that kind of money on the swap.
My Z, when it's finished with the V8, 5-speed, heavier R200 rear-end and full interior should weigh somewhere around 2500lbs, maybe a little less. Mine's a 73 240 which is one of the lighter of the Z models. The later ones weigh in around 2800-2900 depending on what you remove. If you're interested in doing a swap into one then try to locate one with no rust. They're hard to find but do exist otherwise you end up doing rust repair which is never fun. I've had to do my share already and still have some more waiting for me.
It's definately been worth it though, I've had a lot of fun doing the work, learned to weld, got to buy all kinds of new tools and have met a lot of very nice people.

ZcarGuy
Old 06-06-2005, 05:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!!

Quick Reply: Drove my 240Z with the LT1 today