LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?

I am curious if anyone has converted their lines inside their engine bays to braided lines? I seem to recall someone around these boards had their LT1 decked out with real braided lines, not the covers or anything...but the real ones. So...if any of you have done this, please let me know where you got them from, and how you did it. And as always, pictures are fantastic!

Tris
Old 06-21-2005, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here was our setup from last year:

The direct port nitrous system made it a little nutz under there adding at least 6 more lines than it needed but you get the idea.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Where did you get all that stuff, and what was involved?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine bay can be seen here:

http://img212.exs.cx/gal.php?g=benscar9mx.jpg

Old 06-22-2005, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Be prepared to spend alot of $$$$ on real braided lines. The fittings add up REALLY QUICKLY. Here are the pics of mine. I chose to do hard stainless line where ever I could because I think it looks cleaner. All I did was a short braided line from the frame to the engine and from the engine back to the tank. The fuel braided you cannot see in these pics. All the braided line that you see is for oil cooler, tranny cooler, and reverse flow lines from the back of the heads to the radiator. Just the fittings and short line needed for these was almost $200.00.
Braided line needs to be custom made. It is not that difficult as long as you have the correct tools and I prefer Earls line & Fittings (They are soooo much easier to get on). You can get them all at Jegs or Summit. You will need a hacksaw, electrical/duct tape, a vice with aluminum jaws works awesome (also get from Jegs), and plenty of bandaids for your fingertips when the metal stands stick you (hurts like hell). You also can use the aluminum wrenches Jegs sells but regular wrenches will work if you are careful.
Attached Thumbnails LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-engine-car-4.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-engine-plumbing-car-1.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-engine-plumbing-car-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

If you ever do get braided lines, let me know and I will be happy to help you out. Or at least show you how and help you pick out all the fittings you will need.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by skunkdya
Be prepared to spend alot of $$$$ on real braided lines. The fittings add up REALLY QUICKLY. Here are the pics of mine. I chose to do hard stainless line where ever I could because I think it looks cleaner. All I did was a short braided line from the frame to the engine and from the engine back to the tank. The fuel braided you cannot see in these pics. All the braided line that you see is for oil cooler, tranny cooler, and reverse flow lines from the back of the heads to the radiator. Just the fittings and short line needed for these was almost $200.00.
Braided line needs to be custom made. It is not that difficult as long as you have the correct tools and I prefer Earls line & Fittings (They are soooo much easier to get on). You can get them all at Jegs or Summit. You will need a hacksaw, electrical/duct tape, a vice with aluminum jaws works awesome (also get from Jegs), and plenty of bandaids for your fingertips when the metal stands stick you (hurts like hell). You also can use the aluminum wrenches Jegs sells but regular wrenches will work if you are careful.
I don't mean to jack this thread, but how can you have that air filter intake on there... i don't see any maf.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

1993 used speed density, not MAF
Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1993 used speed density, not MAF

What are you running in place of your opti? Man that's a nice bay, you have any more pics? Your block looks like it sits further back but I know that's because of the radiator. Any reason for doing it the way you did? Man I thought my stuff was together you guys are putting a hurting on me! LOL!

Nice job on the bay.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Skunkdya, got any more pics of your set up? It is looking really nice!!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

The opti is stock. Actually the entire engine is bone stock. I don't even have an airfoil. All that is different is the headers, exhaust, air cleaner, plugs & wires. THAT'S IT!
The reason why it looks so different is cause I removed almost every single thing that could be and I redid all the wiring from headlight to tailight and ran it through the framerails instead of the engine bay. I smoothed all the holes and even filled the heater core hole instead of just putting a plate over it. I put the radiator sraight up/down cause I kinda wanted to show off the polished radiator and it actually improved cooling (never above 130 degrees on the freeway) and never ever above 200 anywhere.
I did it this way to do something different than anyone else out there is doing. I read alot of street rod magazines and went to Goodguys and NSRA shows to get ideas. I gave up on going fast with the LT1. I am happy with the 12.2 @ 120 that I did with a 75 shot. I know it had more cause my 60' was 2.2. Yes, that is a stock motor time, I have no clue what I did to get that MPH. That time was run 2 years ago before I cleaned it up and got new rims and some misc other stuff. Should be a tad faster now if I put the 75 shot back on.
Attached Thumbnails LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-fuel-2.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-engine-car-9.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-engine-car-5.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-4-3-05.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-017.jpg  

Old 06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

More Pictures for ya. I wish I had pics of the dash now that it is done. I will try to get them on tonight
Attached Thumbnails LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-018.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-019.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-new-motor-3.jpg   LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?-heater-core-step-4.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Drivers Side Step 6.jpg (58.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

skunk: inspirational!

I am doing the bolt on thing right now and finding ways to loose the weight and be different is high on my list.
We will be going 7.9s with just weight reduction and cooler air, sig tells the story!

If it is a stock motor, why all the fuel cell and all that?
Still have A/C or is that a trans cooler set up on the front with the hard lines?
Thanks for the openess!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Fuel cell for 2 reasons - #1 540 or 572ci in the future, #2 cause ever since the pro street days of the late 80's where everyone had them, I always wanted one. For some reason it feels kinda cool to have to fill a fuel cell instead of a gas tank. Even if I am posin a little bit. Maybe its just me.

No AC. That is a large oil cooler with the big lines going in it and a tranny cooler behind it with the small lines in it. You can't see the tranny cooler to well.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel cell for 2 reasons - #1 540 or 572ci in the future, #2 cause ever since the pro street days of the late 80's where everyone had them, I always wanted one. For some reason it feels kinda cool to have to fill a fuel cell instead of a gas tank. Even if I am posin a little bit. Maybe its just me.

No AC. That is a large oil cooler with the big lines going in it and a tranny cooler behind it with the small lines in it. You can't see the tranny cooler to well.
I hear ya!
Old 06-26-2005, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

Man thats something different you got there, can i ask what type of oil cooler your using? and where you tapped to get the oil to run to the cooler? thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

There is a remote filter adapter kit that you can buy from Jegs. You put this addapter plate in the place of the stock filter on the engine. There are 2 -10 fittings that come off of this (1 supply, 1 return) that you plumb from that to the remote filter (also from Jegs) and then go from the filter to the cooler (I think mine is the B&M race version, also from Jegs) and then back to the filter adapter on the engine. The remote filters are really nice, you just have to find a place to put them.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a remote filter adapter kit that you can buy from Jegs. You put this addapter plate in the place of the stock filter on the engine. There are 2 -10 fittings that come off of this (1 supply, 1 return) that you plumb from that to the remote filter (also from Jegs) and then go from the filter to the cooler (I think mine is the B&M race version, also from Jegs) and then back to the filter adapter on the engine. The remote filters are really nice, you just have to find a place to put them.
Man your setup is clean and I really like the approach you took.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info, Im aware of the set up your talking about i just wasent sure if it would work on the LT1. i want to get the sandwich type that goes inbetween the filter and the block and has the cooler that mounts in front the of condenser.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

HOLY S*** yours and n20blkz have some damn clean fbodies. I wish mine was 1/10th of that

Quick Reply: LT1s with braided lines in their engine bay?