LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Funny oil pressure reading and volt issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 02:04 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation Funny oil pressure reading and volt issue

Haven't cranked the car in 9 mos (93Z) but had this problem even before hibernation. Oil pressure would fluctuate at idle but hold steady while driving and dip a little under braking. I figured possibly the oil pressure sending being bad so I purchased a mech guage to verify. Well it's erractic to say the least. At idle it'll start @ 40psi and match the OEM oil pressure but after 5 mins it would drop down to 20psi and bounce up and down from 35 to 55 psi.....all this at idle. Not burning oil I only have a rear main seal leak and that's it. Run 50/50 w/ 15-40 and 10-30 castrol dino oil thinking that would cure it but to no avail. Like I said it holds steady under load and increases as the rpms increase all the way to 6700 rpm's....but the moment it goes back to idle it's all over the place but nothing lower than 20psi. Is that bearing damage I'm looking at?

The volt meter is another problem I had before hibernation as well. Under load it would drop to 7 volts esp reaching 2500 rpms and then it would regain itself and hold a steady charge at 13-14 volts. I was thinking the alternator so I bought a used one off a friend and worked perfectly on his car. Put in mine and I still have this dip underload causing the car to lose pwr and trip off sensors in the dash. Only thing I've done since its storage was put 4 guage engine ground wires on and nothing else. I'm running a total of 6 guages, 1 amp w/ a stealth box, and a speed calibrator and it was fine until recently out of the blue the dip in volt guage. Is this the battery perhaps?

Sorry for the lenght but I'm trying to be accurate as possible w/ no misunderstandings. Thanks for any advice or inputs.

Silas,