LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wierd Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005 | 02:57 PM
Banned

Default Wierd Engine Noise

The other day after I started up my car I noticed a wierd noise coming from under the car, I stuck my head under there and it seemed like it was a noise coming from the engine echoing through the exhaust of course. So I took a small piece of 2x4 and stuck on end on my driver's side valve cover and my ear to the other end (a trick my dad's friend Mike Janis taught me......btw he was Pro Mod Champ in IHRA in 2003) and I hear this wierd chattering noise that is in rhythm with the noise I heard from under the car. My two assumptions are a loose rocker or something to do with one of the rockers or a bent pushrod. Anyone else got any ideas on what this could be and how to fix?
It's a 97 Trans Am M6 btw.. Thanks for your help if you have any!
Old 07-01-2005 | 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
The other day after I started up my car I noticed a wierd noise coming from under the car, I stuck my head under there and it seemed like it was a noise coming from the engine echoing through the exhaust of course. So I took a small piece of 2x4 and stuck on end on my driver's side valve cover and my ear to the other end (a trick my dad's friend Mike Janis taught me......btw he was Pro Mod Champ in IHRA in 2003) and I hear this wierd chattering noise that is in rhythm with the noise I heard from under the car. My two assumptions are a loose rocker or something to do with one of the rockers or a bent pushrod. Anyone else got any ideas on what this could be and how to fix?
It's a 97 Trans Am M6 btw.. Thanks for your help if you have any!

I had a similiar problem with my Trans-Am. Ended up being the flywheel being broke in 4 places, and my torque convertor was shot.
Old 07-01-2005 | 03:30 PM
Banned

hmm, I'll check that out, but I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the engine. Although I have been having a little bit of trouble shifting the car lately...looks like it's time to start taking the car apart Ooooh and it I can hear it when I put my ear close the dirver side header, but when I open up the cutout the engine sounds pretty healthy. ARGHHHH I can feel a big headache coming on soon. again thanks for your help in advanced!
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

You will hear rythmic ticking from the valve cover regardless of anything being broke or not. IF a rocker arm had broken or a pushrod bent, you would have thrown a misfire code instantly so that is out of the question as well. Possibly loose rockers so pull the covers and check the lash on them. Check for exhaust leaks as well. the noise permeates through the heads and will sound awkward through the valvetrain noise and out the valvecover. the old "Broom to the Ear" trick is extremely inadequate...with the amount of time it takes to put the broom to the ear, you could have the valve cover off and test it for real
Old 07-01-2005 | 11:47 PM
Banned

Had a friend bring his OBDII diagnostic thing over and it threw codes for multiple spark misfires, and bad Mass air flow sensor. Checked for exhaust leaks and there is nothing. Taking valve covers off bright and early to check out whats going on under there. thansk for the help
Old 07-02-2005 | 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

I would check for an exhaust leak one more time but this time have a buddy start the engine up when it is completely cool and when he does that listen by the driver side header. Manifold leaks are much more apparent when the gasket is cold and hasnt expanded yet. On mine you couldnt hear the exhaust leak 4 seconds after cold start but right at start up it was crystal clear.
Old 07-02-2005 | 11:33 AM
Banned

it starts ticking right away, believe me i spent 3 hours checking for leaks yesterday. I'll be checking all day today, and hopefully it is just something with the spark plugs that is easily replaceable!!!
Old 07-03-2005 | 03:16 PM
Banned

well i went through the whole drivers side valvetrain today, no loose rockers, arms, no bent pushrods, hook up the scanner and not getting any misfires......Although on the scanner under Knock Sensor it had a reading of 1437 and yesterday it was like 913...any idea what this is? Still hearing the ticking noise too.....and all header bolts are tight and collector to y-pipe bolts are nice and tight too

Quick Reply: Wierd Engine Noise