LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why does everyone bash on otisparks??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont even wanna get started on optisparks... I have had to blown up at 6krpms in first gear.. Makes you think you blew your motor. I had one just go bad..it was arcing inside the opti and put a hole in it with 6k miles. I bought one new from gm that was bad. Now I am on my 5th or 6th VENTED opti. I will be doing the coil conversion very soon. Also, you cant rev the thing much higher than 6500 without it going out often.. Gm even says over 6k isnt recommended.. One good thing came of this though. I can swap an opti in an hour and a half easy.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of LT1 owners, including myself, have had problems with them. On my current build up, I've purchased a DFI dual sync distributor that I'll be using instead. It's expensive to eliminate them, but it's the only way I'll keep using an LT1.

Raymond
Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 94 Caprice had the original opti in it when it died @ 165K. So now I'm rebuilding the motor with ported al. heads and a comp 502 cam.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

You can eliminate it by using a standalone computer and moving to coilpacs... I have a buddy that just did it... very hush hush for now...

OPTISPARK is great on paper but bad in the application... would you put an electrice station under a waterfall or under a lake??? water pumps leak.. it just happens.. once water is in there your about fucked... also your front main seal has a habit of usually leaking... I've see oil on top my opti before... If it was a great design Gm would continue to use. GM dealerships know it's a bad design.. if you've ever taken your car in and been told it's your opti.. the Tech probably told you this happens all the time.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

IMO if SOMEONE would just make an under-car splash shield, we wouldn't be running into these problems....

i would make one but i don't know the first thing about fabbing.....
Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Tell that to my friend who has a Holly sitting atop an Edlebrock intake on his cammed/hometown ported '91 L98/TH400.
Then it's not an L98, just a carbed 350.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CONVERTED
You can eliminate it by using a standalone computer and moving to coilpacs... I have a buddy that just did it... very hush hush for now...

OPTISPARK is great on paper but bad in the application... would you put an electrice station under a waterfall or under a lake??? water pumps leak.. it just happens.. once water is in there your about fucked... also your front main seal has a habit of usually leaking... I've see oil on top my opti before... If it was a great design Gm would continue to use. GM dealerships know it's a bad design.. if you've ever taken your car in and been told it's your opti.. the Tech probably told you this happens all the time.
They sell a kit for this and have been for at least a year. Its called baileys LTCC(lt coil conversion) some guys use northstar coil systems, some use ls1 coil packs, it differs
Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Again take some simple precautions and put a little dielectric grease on the plug wires and weatherpack then water has a much harder time getting in. Then if it does get in did you guys know that they can dry out(insert sarcastic smiley here) how many of you had it run rough shut the car off and changed the opti never trying to dry it out first. When I used to offroad trucks we would drown out HEIs even dry them out and keep right on going. Usually all you need to do is give engine heat a few minutes to do some drying, then restart and it might be rough or hard to start but keep it running and things will dry out. Hell the opti would be easier to dry out at least the vented ones because there is forced airflow. As far as GM not continueing to use the opti that is because the engine it was designed for was the Gen2 motors and while most of us love the LT1 lets face it it was a quyick bandaid on the Gen1 to allow it to meet a few goals while the Gen3 was developed. If the Gen2 were still made the opti would likely still be in use.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Its the only real drawback to our engines, but honestly, its not that bad of a design. Its the location that is the problem.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone bash on otisparks??